“Cozy, relaxing, friendly staff, great services, perks, facilities, and location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The LimeTree Hotel

4D3N Stay Longer Package
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Kuching
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

We are overall very impressed, happy, and satisfied with this hotel. What we got here were worth every cent we've paid for (and maybe better than that!). We now understand why this hotel is rated highly by their customers. Eventhough our trip to the hotel started with a glitch when the hotel staff were sort of unaware/forgot about our airport transfer arrangement that we waited for more than an hour at the airport before calling up the hotel; but by then the pick-up quickly came within 20 minutes, and upon arrival at the hotel, we were greeted warmly by the staff at the door and the reception.

Our room was on the small side (deluxe type with window), but it was as described on the hotel website. It's very clean, comfortable, and efficient. Hair dryer, toiletries, water boiler and cups, flat TV, big big bed, hot-strong shower, all are there. The room is very pleasant. Our room overlooked a relatively big street, but we're happy to find out that we hardly heard any traffic sound in the evening/night, so we slept very soundly.

We were served hearty, delicious breakfast buffet every morning downstairs. We especially love the self-service, 'self-made' Sarawak laksa corner. It's fun, and it tasted nice as well! We're also entitled to a welcome drink at the hotel's rooftop lounge which opens 5pm-12am daily. We went for a drink during sunset; we felt very satisfied that we got to relax while looking at the beautiful city view and Sarawak river ahead. The hotel's signature lime drink (apparently this hotel, as its name suggested, is lime-themed; everything is related to lime ~room colors, utensils, lift smells, etc!) was great; we've never tasted such a lime taste with such a fresh tingling sensation.
The hotel's cafe kitchen staff is very friendly and didn't mind our request to fill up our water bottles for our day trip out of hotel.

The hotel is also very conveniently located within the city centre; a 5-minute walk from Kuching waterfront and all, as well as 5-minute walk from the public buses to various places inside and outside Kuching, e.g., Bako, Bau, etc.

Another perk of this hotel is the free Wifi and computer to use. While the free Wifi in the room was strangely weak and kept disconnected on me (for some unknown reason, I could never go online throughout all my attempts during our 2-night stay!), the computers at the lobby are very convenient and quick for our use.

All in all, we're very satisfied and happy with our hotel selection, and will strongly recommend this hotel to all Kuching travellers, be it solo, young/old couple, and family! :)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
JTayKuching, Resident Manager at The LimeTree Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2010
Dear deltayoung,

Thank you for selecting The LimeTree Hotel as your choice of accommodation on your recent trip to Kuching. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience at our hotel and are very pleased to learn you had overall enjoyed your stay with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies on the service shortfall with regard to your airport pick up; we will ensure there is no recurrence in future. Regarding the wi-fi availability in your room, we are sorry to learn its connection was not as seamless as it should have been during your stay and that our team was not able to resolve the issue on time. Interestingly, our team managed to discover, however only after your stay, that a corporate guest on the same floor had been using a device which emitted signals at frequencies which we believe have caused interruptions to the wireless signal!

Your compliments on our breakfast and drinks are much appreciated and have been conveyed to our F&B team. You may wish to know that our Sarawak Laksa, a local breakfast dish, is made from an authentic, homemade recipe, freshly cooked every morning only with natural ingredients and without flavour enhancers - all in line with our concept to promote fresh and healthy living.

We thank you again for your comments and commendation of us to others. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back with us the next time you are back in Kuching! Many best wishes for the rest of 2010 and wishing you safe travels.

The LimeTree Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Polish first
Rottweil, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

We booked here on the recommendations of Trip Advisor, and all in all it was an easy stay. Our room was well appointed, the bed very comfortable and despite what others have said, breakfast was fine. Our one complaint, and it's a big one, is that for a supposedly non smoking hotel, our room supplied us with a constant flow of cigarette smoke. I don't know if it was just our room or not, but either someone in the other room(s) was smoking, or the air conditioning was picking up outside cigarette smoke - either from the street or from the upstairs bar - and circulating it throughout the hotel.

No problem if you don't mind that, but as someone allergic to cigarette smoke, I spent my time in the Lime Tree with a constant headache, which was not how I wanted to end my time in Borneo. I did enjoy this hotel, but this was a big let down for us.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear tokeshu,

Thank you for selecting The LimeTree Hotel during your recent visit to Kuching. We are sorry to hear about the discomfort you had experienced and we will definitely investigate and improve on these shortfalls.

As a non-smoking hotel and in line with our smoke-free rooms policy, smoking is strictly only permitted in designated areas of the hotel. Although, to our disappointment, not all guests abide by this even with a surcharge imposed for smoking in the rooms, we will continue to enforce this policy. Please be assured that it would have been our top priority to promptly investigate the source of the smell believed to be cigarrette smoke, change your room and offer many alternatives to make your stay more comfortable if we had been informed of the situation. Further to this, our mechanical engineers and consultants have also, in their capacity, confirmed that the ventilation system at our property is working accordingly. I would therefore like to invite you to leave us your contact details by emailing julietay@limetreehotel.com.my for me to understand your experience better and for me to investigate this matter further.

My team and I would like to thank you for your review which is much appreciated and it is through such constructive feedback that we can keep improving our standards. We look forward to welcoming you back to The LimeTree Hotel when you next travel to Kuching.

Genoa, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

My brother, his teenage son and I enjoyed our 5 day stay, in two rooms at the Lime Tree in Mid-August. I agree with the positive comments previously posted. We found the staff very accommodating, rooms smallish, but well appointed with great beds, lots of pillows, coffee/tea making supplies, free bottled water and nice bathroom amentias. We didn’t experience any problems with either noise from other rooms or outside traffic noise. The location is a 10-15 minute walk from the waterfront, but we enjoyed walking through the streets to the side of the hotel, as they were full of money changers, restaurants and charm. In this area, just 5 minutes from the hotel is Lyn’s Tandoori Restaurant which we really enjoyed. Our first day in Kuching we had difficulty locating a taxi, so the Lime Tree night manager called Mr Edward (-------) for us and he quickly became a very valuable person to know. We wanted to get to Bako National Park upon opening because The Sarawak Tourist Information indicated that there is a limited number of guides there and they are invaluable to spotting wildlife in the park. Mr Edward, the taxi driver has “connections” and was able to call the park and secure a boatman and guide for us, taking the stress out of the 45 minute ride to the park. He returned to Bako at the appointed time to take us back to the Lime Tree. The next morning we used Mr Edward to go to the Sarawak Cultural Village and he was able to save us each 5 RM/per ticket. He loves to give mini city tours as you go around town to your requested destination and is very knowledgeable of the history of Kuching. This helped to make our stay at the Lime Tree and Kuching very enjoyable. I would definitely recommend this hotel for business or pleasure, plus their fresh squeezed lime juice is excellent!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dear AnnArborMHT,

Greetings from The LimeTree Hotel, Kuching! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your stay with us. It was a great pleasure having you and your family as our guests! We are indeed overjoyed to hear that your stay at our hotel was a memorable one and that you had enjoyed the amenities and services offered in our hotel, as well as those offered by establishments surrounding our area of Chinatown Padungan.

Your compliments and commendation of us to others are highly appreciated. We at LimeTree will remain committed to ensure guest satisfaction at all times. Our team wishes you and your family safe travels and we look forward to welcoming you again!

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010 via mobile

This was a nice modern little hotel. We were greeted by a lovely smiley chap on arrival.

The rooms are slightly small but not at all unreasonable - they're well decorated to allow for space saving. I would say that the only down size was that it was one of those conjoining rooms so I think that may be why we could hear absolutely everything that the person in the room next door did - snoring, walking around and going to the toilet! Crystal clear and not the poor chap's fault next door. The Walls seemed extremely thin.

Breakfast did the trick- a reasonable buffet with a variety of western and Asian cuisines. I'd say that the offer of a coffee refill wouldn't go a miss
though.

There's a lovely modern and stylishly decorated roof top bar which offers good views. The guys up there didn't quite nail the service though as they sat around chatting a lot and you had to keep going up to the bar to get another drink. One night they were sat in a room at the back of the bar and didn't even know we were waiting! They're very polite though - I just think they need to keep an eye out for empty glasses and offer another drink. You're still always lumped with the 10% service charge on the bill! Be wary of the White wine- I was given a glass of what looked like vinegar -very brown. I even caught the guys behind the bar inspecting the glass of wine once they'd poured it but they still served it to me. Upon tasting it I think it was actually a glass of dessert wine which was extremely sweet and odd in taste. Wine's expensive but it is in moat places in Maylasia due to it being largely Muslim.

There's free wifi which I thought was great - two computers in the lobby for guests use at any time.

Staff allowed us to borrow two towels to go kayaking in the Borneo Highlands even though we'd checked out that morning. They looked after our cases all day for us too. The reception staff were very accomodating and helpful
throughout our stay.

There's no room service but the little restaurant in the lobby did some nice food but only up until 9.30 - last orders at 9pm.

The hotel is well placed- it's close to a shopping plaza and I would sat it's under ten mins walk to riverfront which is no problem at all. I've noticed some people have complained it's too far (!!) to the river on here but I honestly have to say it's not far at all!

It's wl placed for visit to Orangutang parks/kayaking etc... - tours pick you up from hotel.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel and I think it will shortly be making an appearance in the The Lonely Planet as a good place to Stay!

• Stayed August 2010
Dear sarah12091980,

Greetings from The LimeTree Hotel, Kuching! Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us and for selecting us The LimeTree Hotel as your hotel of choice during your recent visit to our beautiful city of Kuching.

We would first like to apologise for the discomfort from the noise disturbances encountered when staying in the connecting/co-joining room. As far as I know, I believe our other rooms do not have the same issue, but with your comments, our engineering team have been prompted to review all our rooms and to mitigate any potential noise issues.

We are always happy to hear that our guests appreciate our decoration and contemporary concept with breathtaking views at our LimeLight Rooftop Lounge. We are determined to improve the quality of service and efficiency of our new team, and we thank you for your patience and understanding during your patronage at LimeLight. In addition, please accept our sincere apologies for the incident when you had been served the wrong wine. You may wish to know that the dessert wine served was in fact "tuak", a sweet, local traditional rice wine, and to some, an acquired taste! Tuak was a new addition to our beverage list then, but even so, such confusion should not have occurred and our bartenders have since been guided.

We are most delighted to learn you had overall enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you again for your kind comments. Our team had the pleasure of welcoming you and we hope to see you again!

Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

I stayed at this great little place for one week . My room was small but nicely appointed with clever use of the limited space. The road was pretty busy but nose at night was limited so I slept well.
I really liked the little breakfast area in the foyer with good food available. The rooftop bar was a pleasant place to eat and drink. There were many good quality eating places a short walk away.
I was traveling alone and found the staff really friendly and helpful. I booked a couple of great trips from reception. Internet access was free and the location of the stations was in the lobby not tucked away in some dark room. There are the usual grand impersonal chains e.g. Hilton available in Kuching but I would not be tempted away if I visited again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Dear Southerhawker,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The LimeTree Hotel on Tripadvisor. I am glad to hear you had enjoyed our facilities and amenities which we will always continue to improve, and your kind comments have been shared with our team.

We thank you again for your comments and commendation of us to others, which are much appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back with us the next time you are back in Kuching!

Sibu, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

The Lime tree Hotel is a new hotel in town. i decided to stay in this hotel after i read the good reviews in tripadvisor. i was told by the taxi driver that this hotel used to be an office building. so do keep in mind they have rooms without windows. the price for windowless room is rm160 while the window room cost rm180. honestly, u wont be seeing much even if you pay for the windows room. the the room was not bad. everything looks new since its a new hotel. but the breakfast is very disappointing. so the final question? will i ever stay here again? the answer is no.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
JTayKuching, Resident Manager at The LimeTree Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2010
Dear bobjrjr,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. Naturally, we are disappointed to learn that your overall stay was not ideal and we wish our team had been able to make your experience a more positive one.

Our hotel team would be more than happy to relate the interesting facts and concepts behind The LimeTree Hotel and its privately-owned lime plantation to our guests. I feel there is a need to clarify that, the fact that our hotel was initially built by previous establishments and, unfortunately, never completed to be occupied as an office, and later taken over by current owners to have it carefully refurbished to realize their vision of a lime-themed boutique hotel, has little relevance to our room types. I believe you and your partner did not manage to view the rooms without windows you had mentioned - these are our Superior rooms and they are located in the centre of the guest floors and hence without a city view. Nevertheless, the Superior room is spacious, has decorative windows and we assure the comfort for this room type is not compromised.

With regard to the room rates you had mentioned, our front desk executive had advised your goodself that your walk-in stay without any prior bookings during the peak season would qualify for a walk-in rate, which is relatively higher than early booking rates and seasonal offers. Your comments have also been shared with our F&B team, who will continue to improve the quality of the complimentary breakfast served.

For your kind information, our hotel has been established for more than a year now; this said, we will always emphasize the importance of maintaining our rooms, facilities and amenities at high standards and to remain committed to ensure guest satisfaction at all times. We thank you again for sharing your feedback and it would be my pleasure to welcome you again, so please feel free to contact me directly for any of your future visits to our hotel.

Leiden, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

I have to say my expectations were maybe up to high having read all of the excellent reviews on tripadvisor...but this is just a moderate hotel, in my opinion it lacked atmosphere. It definately was the biggest disappointment of our trip booked with tripadvisor as a travelguide. Well, it's an okay stay, but I think for travellers the're are much nicer places to stay around Kuching, especially around the waterfront.
The rooms were okay, but e.g. in our room the door to the bathroom was a sliding door, and it didn't close very well, so no privacy. And the location...well it's still quite a walk to the waterfront...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
JTayKuching, Resident Manager at The LimeTree Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2010
Dear Irisspar,

Greetings from The LimeTree Hotel! We appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience at our hotel. We are disappointed to learn that we were not able to meet your expectations during your recent visit. Our friendly team and I are always readily available to provide assistance and we would have liked to ensure your stay was a positive and memorable one. I will also look into the matter highlighted regarding the design of the sliding doors.

With regard to the location of our hotel, we would like to clarify that we are situated in Chinatown Padungan, which is about 8-10 minutes walk to the start of the Kuching Waterfront. Our guests may walk through the Chinatown shops, passing the many eateries, towards the Waterfront to avoid walking under the (sometimes unbearable!) heat. Umbrellas can also be loaned from our front desk for your walking comfort.

Your feedback is important to us and it has been shared with our team where we will re-emphasise the importance of paying attention to details to our facilities and guest services. we hope to welcome you again in future!

The LimeTree Hotel

Been to The LimeTree Hotel? Share your experiences!