First off, this hotel was great as far as location goes. It's only a short walk to the waterfront, and also to the many number of food stalls and restaurants in the area. There's also the Hills Shopping Mall right up the road and although the mall is not anything special, there are a number of eateries at the ground floor.
Perhaps more importantly, it's only about a fifteen minute walk to the Main Bazaar (the waterfront).
Also, one thing I try to always post about on this website, is food. From just up the road there is a small supermarket (not open on Sundays though) that is great to picking up all sorts of goodies.
From walking out of the hotel's main road, (Jalan Ban Hock), turn right heading up the hill.
You will then come to a junction with both J Ban Hock and J Tambuan. Keep heading right and now you will start to venture down the hill on the other side and along J Tambuan. Go only about five minutes and you will then see a place called 'Ting & Ting Supermarket'. This is the supermarket I went to a number of times while staying in Kuching.
It's fairly small looking from the front, but once walking in, it's a bit larger in the back. Anyways, just a helpful hint for anyone wanting to stock up on some food while in the city and most specifically, at (or even near), this hotel.
Anyways the hotel is decent though for an inexpensive kind of accommodation.
The hotel staff were very friendly and nice (except for one young Chinese looking woman with dyed light red hair and of whom was not that friendly or helpful).
There's a computer on the first floor next to the reception area and is free to use for guests. There's also a complimentary breakfast each morning from 7 to 9am. The food is just okay though and nothing too special mainly comprised of fried rice, boiled eggs, and toast (no juice is offered though).
However, their list of foods available for room service (and available from 7am to 9pm) is quite good! The Foochow and Cantonese fried noodles were very good and also have many other things like omelets and chicken dishes.
The hotel also has tours available to all of the main hot spots like the Semenggoh Nature Reserve, Bako National Park, Sarawak Cultural Village, and, most excitingly, both the Fairy and Wind Caves.
I used their tour services for my last two days while visiting the Semenggoh Reserve and the caves. It was not too expensive and a guide will come to the hotel and pick you up and bring you back from the day's excursion.
It was cool though and the guy they sent was about my age and thus, we got along well for both of the days' tours.
There was also a 'Secret Recipe' restaurant just around the corner and up the street on Jalan Song Thian Cheok. Just walk out of the hotel and go right, and then around the corner of the main junction.
Where to get money? ATMs can also be found on this road and are only a five minute walk from the hotel.
Walk just a few minutes further up the road and you will see Secret Recipe on the same side as the Hong Leong Bank.
The room itself was good though (aside from a bit of noise coming from the karaoke room below). The water was always very warm, and the room was always neat and clean.
If you'd like a more inexpensive option for your stay in Kuching, I would recommend this hotel to guests.
For further information, please go to: www.grandsupreme.my
* Or for inquiries or reservations (since the booking page on their website did not work for me), you can email the hotel directly at: www.grandsupreme.my
The hotel's telephone number is +6082-255155
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Supreme Hotel is located in the centre of Kuching, just 20 minutes drive from the Kuching International Airport. Many tourist attractions are within comfortable walking distance. We are also only minutes from local food stalls and major shopping malls. Our 94 rooms and suites come with cable TV and free Wi-Fi. The coffee house offers relaxing spaces for you to unwind after a busy day on business or sightseeing. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Grand Supreme Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Supreme Hotel Kuching, Sarawak