“lots to eat” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 368 Restaurants in Kuching
Cuisines: Italian, Bar, Pizza & Pasta, Asian fusion
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Junk is an eclectic collection of five establishments carefully cultivated within the confines of the heritage buildings of Wayang Street, Kuching. With the proprietors' personal curation of actual antiquities and memorabilia over the years, The Junk houses remnants from days gone by, each with their own eccentric story to tell. Since 2002, the award-winning Junk Restaurant specialises in the fusion of Italian, Western and Asian cuisines. They also offer an impressive list of handmade pizzas, even adding their own twist to conventional toppings. Whether it is an intimate table for two or a party of 12, Junk Restaurant has several dining areas to cater to your needs. Red Room started as an after dinner lounge area. It now serves as a karaoke lounge. In 2006, Junk Bar started as something more akin to a speakeasy. It would be easy to miss this unassuming bar accessible through a hole in the wall from Red Room. Don't let the narrow walkway and rambunctious regulars intimidate you as it is perfect for quieter nights out. Since 2008, Backstage has been one of the most popular night spots in Kuching. On weekends, resident DJs spin through the night. When crowded, it looks like a party in an antique shop. Be prepared to stand as the crowd pours in throughout the night. Choose your poison and dance the night away. If you want something milder, head next door to the newly renovated Living Room. The perfect blend of a lounge and an al-fresco garden, choose to sit by the water fountain or in the actual living room on the first floor overlooking it.
Long Eaton, United Kingdom
“lots to eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Very good food LOTS to eat may only need one main between two of you, atmosfear lively with lots of the locals taking advantage of the good food & friendly service, well worth a visit.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Such poor service no one would take my order!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Sat at a table for 20 minutes. Half of that time 2 waiters were standing nearby chatting. I waved, smiled - they turned their backs. Finally I left and went to a different restaurant. Later, I came back and spoke to the manager about my experience. It remains unclear to me if this lack of courtesy was the attitude of the particular waitstaff, or the overall attitude of the establishment. So many good restaurants in Kuching, fortunately one need not patronize this one.

Visited September 2013
Kuching, Malaysia
“Great Restaurant & Awesome Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We first visited the junk when we originally came to Kuching for a holiday in 2011. We were very impressed - the décor is amazing, easily the most unique restaurant of this type I have ever been in. The walls are lined with various trinkets, pieces of art, antiques and much more (even a real antique dentist chair!). We now live in Kuching and go there regularly.

The restaurant is a bit of a maze, but I actually mean that as a compliment, as navigating through the various rooms is interesting thanks to all the 'junk' you encounter. The entire premises seems to occupy at least two or maybe three shophouses, although its hard to figure it out exactly. There are several dining areas, a front café/bar area and a really cool bar/club in the back called Backstage. The Backstage bar features my favourite of the decorations from the entire place (red Chinese lanterns hanging from the ceiling along with a chandelier). There is a pool table, although this is often moved or covered for functions or when its time to party. There is a DJ in on Friday and Saturday nights and the place really gets busy as the evening gets later.

The food at the junk is the real star - all of the massive portions are worth a go - the best of the bunch for me being the cod fish in crab meat sauce and the red wine duck. There are two vegetarian options (for main course) which are vege lasagne and vege pizza. My girlfriend almost always gets the vege lasagne and loves it!

The Junk also does the best bruschetta in the world, with fresh sweet cherry tomatoes.

The service can sometimes be a bit slow on nights when the restaurant or bar are busy, but I would recommend you just relax and enjoy the wait because the food is worth it. Plus there is plenty to look at whilst you are waiting.

Visited March 2013
west midlands
“One awful dish one fab - terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Chose to eat here on our final evening in Kuching. We ordered rack of lamb and the duck in red wine sauce. The duck arrived first... But sadly, although the portion seemed large, it was in fact a very small amount of meat on two fried duck legs...which was tough and virtually inedible. The sauce as gloopy and actually made me heave! Only when I had eaten my dish... Did my husband's dish arrive. Appalling that what was meant to be a meal together, turned out to be a case of him watching me eat and then me watching him eat. On a slightly positive note his lamb was tender and juicy but overall this was a highly disappointing visit and we would suggest you approach it with caution.

Visited August 2013
Singapore, Singapore
“Beyond disappointing: appalling service and terrible value-for-money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The service was the worst I have experienced in any restaurant anywhere in the world.

I do not say this lightly. It wasn't merely inconvenient, "a bit busy" or "part of the atmosphere". It was so deeply disorganized, disinterested and rude that it left us, and the diners at the tables around us, looking at each other, from table to table, in complete disbelief.

We arrived at around 8pm. Strangely there were no staff to show us to our seats. We made efforts to get the attention of passing staff for 5 minutes but they had no interest at all in showing us to our seats and seemed to deliberately ignore us. We had to venture as far as the kitchen and physically block a waiter's path before we were acknowledged and grudgingly shown to a nearby table.

Menus followed 10 minutes later. Having made our choice, vigorous waving for some 15 minutes secured us a rushed 20-second slot with the busy staff to place our order.

Our earlier trip to the kitchen proved to be one that had to be
repeated on no less than three occasions throughout the night. The staff were unwilling to make eye contact or respond to our requests to deliver our drinks, which arrived 40 minutes after the first main course.

We were not alone. A steady stream of customers seemed to make their way to the kitchen, in search of their waiter, the chef, the manager, someone, anyone, who'd be willing to deliver their food or even let them pay the bill. One poor man stood there for a few minutes and after numerous staff had walked past him he gave up hope and placed a pile of notes under a nearby bottle of kitchen spray. I doubt it included a tip.

The food was ok but basically very average and didn't even come close for making up for the service.

I understand that restaurants can be busy (even on a Sunday night).

But service like this shows such a complete lack of respect and, frankly, of basic decency, that it left us with a very unpleasant aftertaste.

The whole experience was beyond disappointing.

• Visited August 2013