“Comfortable, cheap and convenient” 4 of 5 stars
Review of My Sarawak Travel Cafe Guesthouse

My Sarawak Travel Cafe Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kuching
Save Saved
You added My Sarawak Travel Cafe Guesthouse to your Saves list
94 Carpenter Street | Ewe Hai Street, Kuching 93000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #35 of 47 Hotels in Kuching
London, United Kingdom
“Comfortable, cheap and convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Unfortunately, arriving exactly on the day of Chinese New Year meant Kuching was a ghost town, and My Sarawak Travel Cafe Guesthouse was definitely a saviour, as we had nothing booked and it was readily available!

The dorm rooms were clean and comfortable, with air conditioning, for a relatively cheap price. The bathrooms were clean enough, probably needed some refurbishing. And breakfast was included in the price every morning. The internet cafe did not provide free wifi, unlike most hostels, and was a little pricey. Also the doors tend to get locked at night, so make sure you let them know if you are arriving late.

I also had the unfortunate encounter of staying in a double room. The walls are extremely thin, so the noise was ridiculous at times- especially as young children were staying next door. Eventually moved next door to Berambih Lodge, but to be honest, the double rooms were as average as each other. Again, good value and friendly, so great for backpackers just wanting to relax somewhere.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get noisy neighbours.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Northampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

We booked 2 nights here to fill a gap, and were pleasantly surprised. We paid 70 ringitt for a 4-bed room which, although basic and not large, was clean and comfortable. The toilets and showers are shared but close, and they were clean. Towels, soap etc. were provided.
The downstairs area has good cheap broadband computer access, free tea and coffee, and hotwater, breakfast was toast, jam and spread along with coffee etc. The place is laid-back but not sloppy, and the staff are helpful. Various trips can be booked from here but there is no hard sell.
The location is excellent, plenty of places to eat and drink nearby, and not far from the waterfront.
If you wish to avoid scummy places but sick within your tight budget, this is a perfect option. It seems secure, with good front locks at night and the desk is constantly attended. Steve Riches, Northampton, UK.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to My Sarawak Travel Cafe Guesthouse? Share your experiences!