“Convenient & Clean” 3 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23, Jalan Haji Saman, Kota Kinabalu 88813 , Malaysia   |
Ranked #32 of 97 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
“Convenient & Clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed there for 2 nights, first night before hiking to the summit of Mt Kota Kinabalu and one night after the hike. The hotel's 4th floor has just been renovated, the rooms facing the ocean have a great view, it is clean and conveniently located. Nice shopping places including a high end mall are at walking distance. The restaurant Little Italy at the ground level is a huge plus. Very good Italian food, the manager is very friendly and had some great recommendations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the newly renovated floor and facing the harbour
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

From the outside it doesn't look as nice as the other hotel. But you are in for a surprise. We stayed 2 nights as we are not able to get an extension from the previous hotel back from our mountain climb. I must thank ROLEXBOY for his review. It help us a lot for making our selection easier. To make a reservation all you need to is just give them a call ...no deposit ..no credit card required.......although one will be worried whether your booking was confirmed. To make matter worse no email. And so we keep our fingers cross and on the day whoila...they hv our name in the reservation book (old school)..no pc in sight.
When you see the room against the outlook of the hotel, you just couldn't match it.
For the price we paid, we were glad to found this hotel.
For those expecting luxury treatment....I suggest you try elsewhere...
Comfort ...clean...new...that's how I summed it up

Room Tip: ask for the 10th floor
Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights recently and after reading the other reviews on here we booked and were not disappointed. The room we had was renovated on the 9th floor facing the outbound traffic. We had a separate sitting room with it's own TV, which is nice instead of sitting on the bed, a large desk and a lovely curvy chaise in the bedroom area.

Other floors in the hotel are being renovated too, the noise was kept to a minimum.

The staff on the counter at check-in were a bit confused as we had booked through booking.com. It was all worked out in the end but don't rely on all the staff to be too helpful. We needed to make a local phone call and there wasn't a direct dial out, we had to go through reception and they couldn't understand what was being requested. There was always someone there to open the door on our comings and goings.

Across the road is a traditional type shopping mall/ market and up the road a is a brand new mall. Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf is also across the road for a better coffee and bit to eat that we are accustomed to.

We needed our washing done and found a little place about 2 blocks down. The girls were lovely and had it all ready 24 hours later. On the way back from picking it up we grabbed some Buns and dumplings, yum yum. The 7-11 is on the way to the laundry ladies, which we stopped in at a few times too.We would definitely recommend this hotel and gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: The upper floors are renovated and the corner rooms have a good view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I tried to book a room at the newer hotels but they were either all fully booked or only had bigger and more expensive rooms. A relative strongly recommended Hotel Capital for its location.

In all honesty, my heart sank when my taxi approached Hotel Capital. I mean, look at the garish-coloured facade! But oh boy, was I in for a surprise. Let me share with you why:

- while checking-in, the receptionist mentioned that Level 9 and 10 (non-smoking) were recently renovated and only cost RM30 more that the RM150 one I booked earlier. I reluctantly agreed to pony up an extra RM30 for a new room on Level 10 and kept my fingers crossed.

- The staff was friendly and efficient in bringing our luggage up to the room.

- We used a small dingy lift which was in need of a major upgrade too.

- The moment the lift opened, I was indeed greeted by a renovated lobby. Nice dark red carpet with new mirrors on the walls. Not bad but could it get any better?

- The moment I stepped into the room, I was so glad that I paid the extra RM30. The room was cozy, tastefully designed with mirrors on the wall which helped to make the room seem bigger than it is. The floor was very clean and the toilet was actually quite beautiful. The queen mattress and pillows were comfy. The towels look a bit dated but perfectly usable. And most importantly, there was no hint of cigarette smoke. Nothing ruins a holiday more than sleeping in a room with cigarette stench.

- I requested for an extra bed (RM40) in the room but it was old and hard. I think the hotel management needs to buy new portable mattresses.

- No breakfast was provided which didn’t bother me since I wanted to try the local food.

- The location is superb. 5 mins walk to Suria Mall, 2 mins to Gaya St, etc. The famous Little Italy pizza and pasta restaurant is just downstairs. Everything you need - groceries, pharmacies, coffee shops, restaurants, taxis - is within walking distance.

- The hotel is now renovating Level 7 & 8 which means more new rooms will become available soon. Thankfully, I didn’t hear any construction noise.

- Will they refresh the facade? I sure hope so but even if they don’t, Hotel Capital would still be a very good choice for its budget rate and central location.

If the management of the hotel is reading this, here are some of my humble suggestions on how to make it even better:

- allow guests to make outbound local calls from the rooms.
- place a waste paper basket in the room in addition to the one provided in the toilet.
- seal the ground floor glass door leading to Little Italy to eliminate the cigarette smoke coming from the restaurant's outdoor dining area.
- ask if a guest prefers Chinese or English newspapers. We only received a Chinese one which we can’t read.

So there you go, I hope the above will persuade you not to judge a book (hotel) by its cover (facade).

Room Tip: Newly renovated rooms are located on Level 9 and 10 and in the future, Level 7 and 8.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I landed at KK and found that the hotel that I booked was full. After making some calls to other hotels which were also full, I was thankful that there was a room at Hotel Capital nearby and convenient for my stay. It was a pleasant stay at KK. Nearby were eating shops, supermarket. shopping mall and banks. You will never run out of money nor food.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

When we arrived in kota we found that most of the hotels where booked out and prices 30% dearer that the rest of Borneo, after a search about on foot and a few that i knocked back , as the foya was great but rooms dirty, i come upon The Capital the beds where comfortable the room a good size and clean ,freshly painted , staff helpfull, its close to the water front , restaurants eg Little Italy and Chilli Vinilla both excellent
Price was fair so all in all not bad and they offered to show you the room before asking!!

Room Tip: room 202 could go wrong and they offered to show you the room before asking
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The hotel islocated right in the middle of the town.

Suria Sabah / Gaya Weekend Market / Filipino Market are all within walking distance.

The hotel don't serve any food. Don't worry, there are plenty of restaurants / cafe around!!

Our room is at No 603 and the view from our room is the jetty. Basically, the room is clean and standard and have good wi-fi connection.

Overall pleasure staty, the price is reasonable and if I ever visit KK again, I will definitely stay here!

Room Tip: Ask the room with the sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Capital? Share your experiences!