“Sets low targets and continues to underachieve” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Celyn Hotel City Mall

You added Celyn Hotel City Mall to your Saves list
Celyn Hotel City Mall
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Unit No. S-0-30, Block F, Ground Floor City Mall | Lorong City Mall, Jalan Lintas, Kota Kinabalu 88300, Malaysia   |
Ranked #49 of 97 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Wellington, New Zealand
“Sets low targets and continues to underachieve”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Where do I start? Why not at the beginning when I arrived at 2pm but was advised that my room won't be available until later. Actually, this didn't really bother me as I had other things to do but this set the tone for my stay here. Generally, I find staff at Malaysian hotels to be friendly and helpful and it could be that the staff here were all having a bad day but they must have all had a healthy dose of grumpiness for breakfast.

On opening the door to my room, i was hit with this stale, musty pong so I turned the air-conditioning on, hoping to freshen it up a bit. Then on opening the shower door, the smell increased ten-fold and I deduced that the smell was coming up from the drain in the shower.

How do they make soap that only lathers up on one side?

On unpacking and putting some items into the safe, found it was at ground level in the wardrobe! Now tell me, what self-respecting hotellier would place the safe at ground level where I had to get onto my hands and knees to key the numbers in? Talking about inane designers, why did they locate the toilet roll behind the toilet where only a contortionist could reach it?

While we're still in the bathroom, when will hotelliers ever realise that if they want to use tiles in wet areas, the grouting needs to be cleaned or they just get contaminated and look disgusting!

Nice looking shower stall but just watch out whenopening the door as it bangs against the washhand basin when open and I kept thinking that it'll shatter!

OK, we're out of the bathroom now and into the bedroom where the cigarette burns in the carpet are not a good look!

Then there are the ants, tiny little buggers that I first noticed crawling over my laptop screen so in lieu of taking a can of fly/ant spray with me while travelling, I squirted those ones with my spray deodorant but I think all that did was make them smell nicer! They seem to permeate the desk area as well and I was just hoping they wouldn't want to snuggle up to me in the bed as well!

Oh, talking about cigarette burns, there are matching ones in the seats to blend in with the ones in the carpet! Talking about seats now, the chair at the desk is so hard that I needed t place a pillow on it!

Then we proceed onto the bed where there must be the thinnest blanket that I've ever experienced in a hotel!

Laundry, more expensive than the last two hotels on this trip in Kuching and Kuala Lumpur, but I needed my shirt laundered so I called up the laundry number as written on the form and there was no reply so after ringing for 8 minutes, I gave up and took my shirt down to reception on my way to breakfast. The receptionist there asked why I was leaving this witgh him as it needs to go to housekeeping so I then explained that the laundry notice stated that the laundry hours were 7am to 7pm and seeing it was now after 8.30am, this was clearly within those hours and there was no reply from the housekeeping extension. He said that was because they hadn't arrived at work yet so could i call them when they arrived! So I said that I was going to a meeting then and could I please leave this with him so he can pass it to them whenever they see fit to come to work? he then agreed to take it. But it's now 11pm and I still haven't received it back! I'm starting to have misgivings about sending my trousers to be laundered tonight now!

Breakfast was almost a non-event with empty food containers there but then they brought out some freash Char Quay Teow and all was forgiven!

There's a delightful view of the car park from my room giving a good view of a courting couple in a four-wheel drive.

But it's not all bad, whoever cleaned my room today gave me four bottles of drinking water and three toothbrushes! Perhaps she thought I had so much baggage that there were three people staying in this room!

Oh, if you do stay here and wonder where the bathroom amenities are, just look in the drawer underneath the tea and coffee in th bedroom. A pretty obvious place to put them and I really don't know I didn't look there first!

But am I being too critical? My colleaugues said their room didn't pong too much once they turned the air-conditioning on and they didn't see any ants, but then they were especially careful not to look after I told them about my little uninvited pets!

Good things? There's a flat screen TV on the wall and a nice picture of some flowers on the wall.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Miri, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This hotel is attached to City Mall and is just an average hotel. The rooms are neat and tidy upon entering but after closer inspection there is a feel of it being old. There isnt much good channels on the TV plus they arent that clear too. They could have provided more wall socket for electrical appliances. Take note though to bring your own powerbank for your gadgets as electricity blackout happens quite often in KK.

Location wise, though it is attached to City Mall but there isnt much to go about in it. However a number of franchise food shops are nearby (Secret Recipe, Starbucks, Papa Rich, KFC, Pizza Hut, Old Town, Hana Japanese Restaurant).

Overall, I wouldnt exactly recommend this hotel unless it's for a really short stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Selangor Darul Ehsan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Have been to City Mall KK few times, however never realised that there is a hotel here. That pretty much sums everything about Celyn Hotel, City Mall, Kota Kinabalu.

Since one does not notice of its existence, one could missed it easily.

There is no surprise to the room, for RM138++/night, with breakfast, at a location that fills with all the F&B outlets, really almost all of them are here, probably except Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, and perhaps others.

Only here for a night.

So before you asked for recommendation, adios. This is it.

Try again.

Room Tip: There are better hotels else where :)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Alor Setar, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed for two nights in this hotel during my working trip to Kota Kinabalu recently. Hotel looks small from the entrance, and the reception counter continues the smallish feeling when you check in.

Rooms are ok for a single traveller. Two persons and it becomes a crowd. Cleanliness and amenities are decent. No bath tubs in my room, just a shower cubicle. Most importantly no stale smoke smells, and the bed was comfy enough for a good nights sleep.

Later into the night, the front office counter is usually not manned. You need to ring a bell to get their attention. But ask them to give you a wake up call at 4 in the morning, and they were punctual about it. Same for taxi reservations. They had the taxi waiting 15 minutes earlier than scheduled. Definite plus points.

The buffet breakfast is a forgettable experience. Two main dishes to choose from and an egg station, that's all. You get better choices from either the Old Town Kopitiam, Pappa Rich or Starbuck's a few doors away.

The hotel is a bit far from the city centre which is 20 minutes drive away. Kota Kinabalu airport is also 20 minutes away, 30 minutes during heavy traffic.

However the location of the hotel in a shopping complex is convenient for buying any necessities, and the shopping complex has the biggest boutique population I've ever seen in a complex. A haven for the ladies. Quite a few eateries surrounding the complex, caters to the hungry traveller till the wee hours.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The water in the shower takes forever to go down the drain (hence you eventually shower in a pool of water up to your ankles). Service is never offered with a smile. The food served in the morning is cold not not being kept warm (including curry and congee) and the fruits served were so not fresh they were obviously kept overnight after being sliced the previous day. There were ants in my room and all the remote controls in the room were not working (batteries were so old, they were rusty). Only upside to this place is that it is located next to a mall. Some hotel staff had bad attitudes as well. Definitely not coming back to this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. I stayed here just recently for 3 nights to relax after an exhausting (although incredibly fun) scuba diving trip in Mabul Island and Sipadan Island. I arrived very early (around 5:30 AM) and had already made arrangements with the hotel staff to have my room ready which they accomodated. They also provide a complimentary shuttle service to Kota Kinabalu City Centre which I took for two days while I was there. The shuttle service was on time and I was not worried about having to take transportation back to the hotel, because they also provided return transfer for free.

The rooms are clean and there's daily cleaning service. They also provide a safebox in every room. The bathroom toilet and shower were really nice. The breakfast is somewhat more geared towards the Asian clientele, although they still provided cereal, fresh fruit, and eggs, so I did not have anything to complain. Additionally, the staff is friendly and they were able to answer my questions easily. The location is OK, since being next to the mall provides great amenities, but it's still a little far from the airport and the KK city centre.

Overall, I would come back here again. I would love to come back to Sabah to do more scuba diving and hopefully climb Mount Kinabalu, so this is a good place to relax after an exhausting adventure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
KL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Good points
1. Room is clean and toiletries comes with bath gel, shampoo and toothbrush/ paste. Nice rain shower. Water pressure is good as well.
2. Breakfast was good as they have optional free for american breakfast and all kinds of egg.
3. The hotel looks pretty new as the hair blower, air cond and water heater are working very well. Comes with a 32 inch LCD and a DVD player.
4. Located in the City Mall where you can shop for groceries, pharmacies and even nice restaurant.
5. Shuttle van to Wisma Merdeka - in city which offer go and return for 3 times a day. Quite limited but better than taxi.

Poor Points
1. Receptionist are missing most of the time and you need to ring the bell to get their attention.
2. Wifi only available on lobby and what kind of century hotel provide cable for broadband in rooms. Maybe this hotel was meant for business and not leisure.
3. Receptionist are not friendly as they way they greet you is like " SO what do you want" and there are no welcome drinks upon check in.
4. Housekeeping does a bad job as they do not refill the toiletries, change the bed sheet, refill new tissues as how they should do it for a room service.
5. Far away from city and preferable to take a car rental from air port as the current car rental service from hotel are very expensive,
6. RM 40 for taxi from airport to hotel of 10km is not acceptable.
7. No pool, no fitness centre, Purely room to stay only.
8. No much power points. Hard to charge your phones.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Celyn Hotel City Mall? Share your experiences!