“Average hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Winner Hotel

You added Winner Hotel to your Saves list
Winner Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No. 9 & 10, Jalan Pasar Baru | Kampung Air, Kota Kinabalu 88000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #59 of 97 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
London, United Kingdom
“Average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

I often ponder why I keep returning to this hotel. We come to KK for business almost every weekend and the service at the hotel doesn't seem to be very grateful for our custom. The wifi is dismal, rendering the reason for staying here near pointless.

The rooms are okay, the street can be very noisy, though not the hotels fault though. The hotel seems to be reluctant to help with unruly guests and they never seem to be able to fix the wifi or even assure you that it will work in your room. Despite this being the deciding factor in me choosing this hotel, you'd think that they would sort this out. It always seems to work in the lobby though, making us think it's almost certainly a fault they choose to ignore or deliberately cause.

The hotel and staff are average. It's centrally located and I never seem to have trouble finding somewhere to park. I will return, and I will whinge about the wifi situation too.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Indonesian first
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

This hotel has quite central location. We booked here 3 double rooms. The rooms generally were OK but in one room AC didn't work properly (it was leaking). We asked reception to change this room. For breakfast you can choose one of 5 dishes (omelet, noodle and traditional Malaysian meal). There a market 5 minutes walking. You can reach the central bus station for a few minutes on foot.

• Stayed March 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Staff at the reception were very cooperative. They arranged a car rental at a short notice at affordable price.

• Stayed August 2011
United states
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

we booked our stay for 5 days coz we thought it was really nice place to stay but me and my partner was very very dissapointed specially the amount we pay. You can find way better than this hotel more less price.
We checked it about 6 in the evening. No light at the lobby which is shocking but the other part of the building lights are working..only the lobby and at the front office.
I dont like the front desk people specially the front desk operator so rude..i called them and she hang up on me when i m still talking giving her an instruction about our request.
the room smells and small. and also the bathroom is flooding

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

Am very pleased with the twin bed room I stayed in. Space to maneuve r around can be quite limited especially in the bathroom but at least its clean and comfortable to hang around the room. Limited channels on d tv but what's the point of watching tv when you can explore around town. Only thing you have to be very careful about is the area around the hotel. Try to avoid any eateries behind or near the hotel at night. First hand experience from my colleague where he lost his iPhone and cash without even remembering how it happened. Just be alert at the least and don't bring any valuables if you still choose to walk around anyway. Other than that I'd be glad to stay here anytime.

• Stayed March 2011
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

We came to KK by bus. We found this hotel by chance as my hubby was looking for a toilet and we went in which i thought was a Chinese restaurant. After looking around then we knew it was a hotel. There was a promotion on the hotel rates and after looking the at pictures of rooms at the lobby, we decided to check in. There were 2 receptionists.Both looked busy but they still serve us ok. The weird thing is the payment procedure as they asked whether we wanted to pay by cash or credit card. I presented my credit card but after swiping they just kept the receipt w/o asking for my signature and give the room key. When checking out, they would ask again my payment method and swipe the card again and I had to asked as I knew they already swipe it before but they said that it was for verification purposes. Not sure whether, there's normal but it was sort of scary method. I kept both receipt for reference.
After reading the previous reviews, just like to comment that the lift was working fine. We got a room at lvl 7 and we could see the sea and the town from our room. The room was quite small but the bathroom was dry and clean.
For the price offered, I was glad that there was hair dryer and kettle for boiling water. Didn't have my laptop, so we couldn't try the wifi avail. Breakfast was inadequate. I had Nasi Lemak and my hubby shared chicken porridge with our toddler. I had to have early lunch as we were all hungry already.
Overall the receptionist was 3.5 / 5 and the rooms was 4/5 and I was surely come back again because of the location.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

The room is clean and nice but the bathroom very small.You need go to the counter reception to take a password wifi.They will not tell you in the phone.(even u call from your room)The breakfast only have 3 choice.The reception not friendly but the other staff was nice.The reception tell me got free newspaper in the morning in every room.but they didn't send to my room.

• Stayed October 2010

Been to Winner Hotel? Share your experiences!