“Enjoyed our stay here..” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Kinabalu Daya Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN Kinabalu Daya Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Kinabalu Daya Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lot 3 & 4, Block 9 | Jalan Pantai, Kota Kinabalu 88000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #42 of 93 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
London, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed our stay here..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We booked 2 nights here as a last minute upgrade from staying in a hostel a few blocks away.
I personally think it's a decent place- the hotel was clean and the staff were friendly to us. The manager looked a bit stressed at the time but there were lots of people around so can't blame her for that!

The room was very nice- small but good, clean sheets and decent furniture. The bathroom was decent too, no complaints about the room at all. We were right by the lift but I don't remember hearing any noises except others guests a couple of times.

The breakfast was fine- although it's an asian breakfast buffet, so from memory it was more soups/noodles and dinner-like food on offer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
musyadi m, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Kinabalu Daya Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 6 088 240000.

BEST WESTERN Kinabalu Daya Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed in Best Western for one night. Its perfecty located right in the centre close to the bus stop. The room was nice and clean. The reception desk staff was helpful, but they didn't manage to book a taxi for us. If I ever stay in KK again, I'll probably pick this place. What is important, the WiFi works perfecty.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
musyadi m, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Kinabalu Daya Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012

Manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We booked at the Kinabalu Daya Hotel after an unhappy experience with the Bunibon Lodge. We were lucky enough to get some pretty good rates via Agoda so we settled on a standard room w/ breakfast included. I typically like having breakfast out of the hotel to be able to explore the surrounding area, but the heat in KK was just so stifling that I was much happier to have breakfast in a nice, airconditioned restaurant.

The room itself was pretty basic but met every need we had, with a table and chairs as well as a closet for keeping our stuff. The TV and mini fridge was a nice bonus, as we don't usually need/use these on our trips. Most importantly it was very clean, despite the obvious signs of wear on some of the fixtures.

We stayed on a smoking room, which concerned me due to some reviews that said smoke would filter through the aircon system. However we were given a choice between early check-in (10am) or non smoking with a late check-in (2PM). Since we were tired after our bad night of sleep in Bunibon Lodge we decided to take the chance with the smoking room. Luckily we had no smoe issues, and the room didn't really smell like smoke to us (a hotel room we stayed in while in Japan was thick with the smell of nicotine when we came in, so we know what that smells like). They also allowed late check out of 1PM, which wasn't bad, although we would have liked it to be later considering our 6PM flight.

The bathroom was pretty nice, and happily came with a divider between the shower and the toilet. This is a pet peeve of ours, as we don't understand why any hostel or hotel wouldn't just put a shower curtain or enclosure to separate toilet from shower. It's really not that expensive. Speaking of inexpensive improvements, I found it rather ironic that the bathroom had the generic sticker about "leaving your towels on the rail to save the environment." The irony? No towel rails! We ended up hanging them on the shower enclosure, which is a less than optimal solution. Seriously, they should invest in a few towel racks/rails.

Staff was decent, giving us directions and generally being very helpful. Breakfast buffet was good, with mainly an Asian selection but also a small selection of fruits, cereals and breads, as well as a pancake and eggs station. The location was also excellent for getting around this area of the city, near gaya street and 10 minutes away from the Jesselton Ferry pier. Wisma Merdeka and Suria Sabah are nearby for your shopping needs. A decent place to eat in Wisma Merdeka is a restaurant called "Teatime" (I think) on the third floor just before the food court. They have decently priced food, coffee and desserts, as well as free wifi, which my wife and I happily used as we were killing time before going to the airport.

So overall not bad for the price we paid, and if they had another promotion I would happily stay there again. But based on their published rates I may be inclined to try somewhere else.

Room Tip: There's a service telephone on every floor. If your room is near it (like ours) you will hear i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Philippines via Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My previous stay, 4 years ago was pleasant. This trip was horrible. The front desk staff was not friendly at all. The Wi-fi barely worked. Even the Internet in the lobby was down 4 different times. The shower door leaked so bad, we could take a bath on the floor. The housekeeping staff was very nice. I will NEVER stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Modern hotel with nice bed and clean sheets, and hot shower. Our floor is one of five that are No Smoking. However, in the evening, our neighbor's smoke filled our room. We called the desk and within ten minutes, they reported having discovered the culprit and he stopped smoking. Phew! The breakfast was excellent, including an egg, pancake and waffle station. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. The hotel is in an excellent location, close to the sea and lots of shops and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel to me was average in everything, what you can expect from such a hotel. Except the complementary breakfast which is exceptional! The hotel is going trough some renovations probably due to mold depending on the smell in the hallway so I wouldn't stay here at the moment.

• Stayed October 2012

Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is one of the best hotels in Kota Kinabalu I have stayed. Easy access to many roads. Very delicious food, good environment. Good service and nice people. Very comfortable and clean rooms. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

BEST WESTERN Kinabalu Daya Hotel

Been to BEST WESTERN Kinabalu Daya Hotel? Share your experiences!