We stayed for 5 nights in a doubleroom with aircon. We booked it, because of the recommenation in "The Rough Guide" and the nice-looking website, but we've been very disappointed. Seems it happened, what has happened to a lot of places in asia, after which the owners stopped keeping an eye at. Staff is having a nice time, chatting, cooking, eating and watching TV - while the business is running down.
The rooms are really tiny, but thats not so bad-as people are on the streets most of their stay. But because of the thin walls, you can hear every noise and chat.
It has been quite annoying, that everything is dirty. Well, the staff uses a broom to clean the floor, but the is not enough for a hostel. From time to time, some wet-cleaning could be quite useful. So, our feet were really dirty just after the few metres from the entrance to our room barefeet.
Same to the bathrooms, there is a lot of old dirt and hairs in the corners and on the walls, just the way it looks if you don't take too much effort in cleaning it properly.
Oh yes, they have that tiny little signs on the doors "Roomservice/Do not disturb", but even if you have the "Cleaning"Side of the sign on the door, just nothing happens during the day. Even the bins stay full of garbage.
And if you tell the staff about missing toiletpaper or dirty towels during their sitcom-TV-hours (which can be really a lot of hours :) ), then you earn some unfriendly views and they start to discuss, whom of them has to get up and fix the problem.
The hostel has a fridge to use by the guests, but it is packed with so much eating-/drinkingstuff from the staff, that it is nearly impossible to put some of the guests food/drinks into it.
There are better places to stay as a backpacker in KK. And comparing to other hostels in Malaysia, there are a lot of places that show how it works (to have a nice, clean and friendly place to stay) even for smaller money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located in the heart of the city; Borneo Backpackers has already attracted the attention of discerning travellers from around the world. Some guests have already made return visits, and many more have vowed to return. While guests originally come for the facilities on offer, such as clean bathroom, toilets, pantry area, internet facility, cozy lounge area, roof garden deck, 24 hours security, and a tour information counter. They return for the service from our friendly, helpful and knowledgeable local staff. Rooms are all air con, from Dorms to Private rooms. Rates begin at $7 USD. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, HostelBookers, Agoda and HostelWorld so you can book your Borneo Backpackers reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Borneo Backpackers Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Borneo Backpackers Kota Kinabalu, Sabah