“Almost perfect.... ^^” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu

You added Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu to your Saves list
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Tun Fuad Stephens | Sinsuran, Kota Kinabalu 88000, Malaysia   |
Special Rate
Book Now, Save up to 30%
Ranked #5 of 97 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Almost perfect.... ^^”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

The drive from the Airport to Le Meridien is less than 10 mins and costs RM30 per trip. Location of the hotel is EXCELLENT, with almost everything you could think of within reach.

Best thing is at the new mall; Warisan Square, there are numerous massage parlours with fantastic prices!! It is also within walking distance to Gaya Street, Jesselton Point, the nearby malls, Filipino market, eateries and waterfronts. But if the weather is too hot and/or you're too lazy to walk (saving your energy for a fun day under the sun), taxi rides to anywhere between Jesselton Point and Le Meridien is at a fixed rate of RM10. It seems as if the taxi association has fixed the price at RM10 so no need to haggle if they don't use their taxi meter.

The market right opposite comes alive at 4pm with stalls set up selling the local cuisine: fresh catch from the sea, ABC (dessert), satay, etc. I love the huge fresh Tiger Prawns (the size of a lobster, but these prawns have more flesh) the most!!! And the price does not burn a hole in my pocket. Met many other foreign tourists, one couple from the UK sharing the same table, hadn't savour enough of the delicious food had sworn he'll r savour eturn the next night and he did!!! =)

As many reviewers agree on a common point, Le Meridien is indeed situated at a central location PLUS you get to enjoy a splendid view of the sunset.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

• Travel group: 5 adults and 2 children.
• The front desk is superb. They are fast and servers you with a smile.
• The room and toilet is clean, and the house keeping provide clean towels everyday. The bed is heaven.
• Like the breakfast a lot. Their breakfast is nice. They have a variety of food to choose from.
• The location is the best. It is so convenient cause is so close to the Philippines Market and Wet Market. Walking distance to shopping mall too.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

We checked into Le Meridien after a really arduous and painful journey up to the summit of Mt. Kinabalu...our room was on the club level (11th floor) and facing the sea..it was really a great feeling waking up with the sea in front of you (and not the mountain, hah!)..

the room was really large for the 2 of us..the bed was really comfortable...the toilet was really nice and it had complimentary high speed internet for our use, complimentary breakfast etc..

aircon was a bit too cold even though we turned the temperature up to the max but i was enjoying it snuggly under the blanket...

location wise, it was centrally located in the heart of KK town. if i were to ever return to KK, which i pretty sure will, i will most definitely stay here again. very very value for money!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
East Coast Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

Although not exactly a frequent traveller, over the past 20 years I have been to Singapore, Hong Kong, Indonesia and Bali. In the recent 6 years I have also done South Korea, Malaysia and the Islands of the Asia Pacific Rim, every one an adventure and an enjoyable experience. All fades into the realm of "just not quite there" when we compare with the exciting times at Kota Kinabalu.

The Le Meridien hotel, every member of staff, the sights and the people of Kota Kinabalu in general have made this a definate must go back soon experience.

Picture postcard beauty, especially if you do the island day trip, the magnificent food just the way it should be eaten, rather than "tasted down" for Western palates, the shopping and the smiles, make Kota the perfect holiday destination.

We chose two hotels to visit, however the Le Meridien is perfectly located in the centre of town, oposite the boardwalk restaurant precinct and night markets, and has a staff that need to be experienced to understand.

When you are there, be sure to check out the hotels resident band LiveWire in the main lounge adjacent to the restaurant. Those guys rock. With a repetoire covering Frank Sinatra, Pink, to The Stones and everything in between, I guarantee you will love them.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

Very good hotel, with great hall and good service. Beautiful room with big bathroom and wonderful breakfast.
In front of the sea and in the city center.
Good swimming pool and fitness center.
Everything at your disposal!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Taipei, Taiwan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

It's a sad thing to find out that a world famous hotel group such as The Le Meridien ( or Starwood group in whole) can not provide the standard good type of services for guests, especially in Malaysia.

I have made my reservation longer than one month beforehand for a seaview deluxe room through a local travel agent. Room charges was prepaid with hotel voucher issued to me . I have sent the reservation details to the hotel reservation manager informing her my requirement for a seaview room, with king size bed and non-smoking floor. She replied to me that my requirements were noticed and she was looking forward to welcome me at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu.

Unfortunately, when I checked I was told by the front desk reception that I was upgraded to a suite. I went to my room only to discovered that it was a suite with a noisy "city view". I called the front desk informing her that I have asked and prepaid for a "seaview" room, and since I was staying alone I didn't need a big suite. It was the view that matters, not the room size. She put me on hold and never called back. I called the reception again after 30 minutes and insisted her to search for a seaview room while I waited on the phone. She then replied that there was only a "twin bed standard seaview room on a smoking floor" available. Take it or leave it! Due to my allergy to cigarette smoke, I have to compromise with the city view suite.

In addition to the unpleasant stay, some of the lights in the suite were out of order. One light at the door entrance was constantly flashing with a buzzing sound. I was worried the light bulb might burst eventually. The toilet was also stucked with slow water flow after flushing.There was no directory in room and I wouldn't know what facilities they have in the hotel(such as business center, gym or spa). I was also told that I wasn't able to enjoy the Club Floor facilities because I was upgraded to a Le Royal Club Suite "room size", but not Le Royal Club Suite "room services" !!

I checked out after one night. No apology what so ever was expressed to me. They didn't even handed me my receipt! I was in a hurry to the airport and didn't complained more. I wrote an email to Starwood customer care expressing my disappointing stay at the Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu. The front desk manager replied after 5 days that "due to business demands" they have to accommodate me to a suite rather than a seaview room because " they failed to recognize the sea view was utmost importance to me". I was in quite a shock to find out that due to "business demands" a prepaid room can be changed without prior notice! The management can also make ridiculous assumption that room size is more important than room view for my stay !!

In order to express their apology, they offered me extra Starwood Preferred Guest points , but in an arrogant way. The points ,however, will not compensate a spoiled holiday! I doubt I will redeem any of the points to stay in Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu again!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
San Mateo, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

We spent 3 night at the Meridien and enjoyed every minute of it. Great room, great vew towards the sea, shopping and restaurants very close by. But most importantly, the staff was very friendly, very helpful and very willing.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu? Share your experiences!