“A great hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu

Save Saved
You added Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu to your Saves list
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Tun Fuad Stephens | Sinsuran, Kota Kinabalu 88000, Malaysia   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #5 of 90 hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Toronto, Canada
“A great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu is not a new hotel, however, I agree whole heartedly with dag2546 review. Le Meridien KK is really a great hotel. Staff is amazing and knows what customer service is all about.

We booked online a club room (seaview) for three nights stay from the hotel website. We asked for a higher floor and non smoking room. Upon checked-in (May 18) we were delighted that our request was honored. We were given room no. 1233 (highest floor) which on the same floor (12th) as the Le Meridien Club.

The service level at Le Meridien Club was outstanding. Asmah went above and beyond to make sure we were welcomed and comfortable in the club lounge.

Suwardi from Circle restaurant downstairs was another example of friendly staff at this hotel.

In short, Le Meridien is a great hotel. Location is perfect. It has big rooms, attentive, helpful and friendly staff. It is definitely worth the upgrade to the club rooms!

We had a fantastic time in KK. We will be back!

Room Tip: worth upgrade to club room (seaview)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
FHagan, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Hello travelbug292,

I was so pleased to read your review, you really made my day - thank you! I can only agree with you that our staff really do care and I will certainly share and thank them for making your stay.
Please do come back and stay with us again soon.

Thank you!

1,232 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Nambour, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We have just arrived back from our Malaysian holiday and well we were in KK we stayed at the Le Merdien. It is a lovely motel staff are friendly and polite and keep the rooms clean. our only let down was our original room. Beware the wording "Classic seaview" We expected a seaview room but upon entering the new building sites of the city hit me straight from the window. When you walked over to the window and looked right there was the seaview. After waiting a good couple of hours to access our room this was very disappointing, so we did upgrade to the deluxe seaview room (shame we had to spend more money though) which is all seaview and was amazing and what we had originally expected. (We booked through a travel agent). Yes when you read more indepth the room details classic seaview does say part/ part view. I do think the Le meridien needs to change the room names so misunderstanding does not happen as I'm sure we can't be the only ones. Apart from this one hiccup it is a wonderful hotel and I would definetly stay here again as the location is fantastic as are the seaviews once you have the right room.

Room Tip: Definetly opt for the full seaview rooms for the sunsets
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 65Shaz,

Thank you for raising the confusion in the name of the Classic Seaview room. We have identified this already and will be changing the name of the room in July to better reflect the partial views from this room. In the future we will name this room a Deluxe Room and the Deluxe Seaview room will be easily identified as having a premium view of the Sea.
I do hope you travel back to KK, we would love to have you stay with us again.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights at the end of a very exhausting jungle trip, we had booked a club room which is not to be missed and was great value. The room were very large especially for a city hotel with spacious luxury bathrooms, the views were breathtaking. Each evening we had canopies and drinks in the club lounge which was also open all day including breakfast, it was very comfortable with a good choice of food and drinks, the staff were very attentive,I would like to give a special mention to Edna who looked after us very well. We don't eat meat and she went out of her way to ensure that there was always something we would enjoy even providing salmon sandwiches for us. The bar was lovely with a resident group, OK not the best, but fun to listen to and the wine and service was superb. Kota Kinabalu is a mixture, with extreme poverty next to luxury hotels, makes one aware of how lucky we are. The boat trips to the islands from Jessleton point were very good, and well worth trying as were the bars and restaurants on the sea front. we stayed for 6 nights and on reflection this was probably too long, as there was limited things to do, but I would truly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get a club room, great value and service
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Broxbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

If you have been hacking up Mt KK or out to the jungle basins a bit of luxury to sort your life, kit ,brain ,partner out is handy before anyone of the above bails out.
Go on line to get some resonable deals not bargains but considering the location room style and pool not a bad deal .
Located opposite the night market,small tourist trinket stalls with good cheap sea food close by and also not far from the sea front night life bars this central location saves money on taxis,s and shoe leather( ATM,s next door).
The big draw is the pool with a large open air decking with views out to the harbour and islands beyond.it was not busy at all in december coming into high season.
I turned up after 4weeks out and about with a backpack and clothes which had seen better days
and was greeted as a valued customer

Room Tip: Get one facing the harbour for sunsets and good peaple /ship/boa twatching
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello timberway,

I am so pleased you felt welcomed in the hotel after your Sabah adventure, this is a wonderful compliment for our team and confirmation that we are on the right track.
I can only agree with you on the pool deck, with expansive views out over the ocean its a fabulous place to recover if you have been travelling or want some quiet time.
Thank you for sharing your experiences, I hope to welcome you back to KK soon!

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I stayed at the Le Meridien KK in late April 2013 for a weekend getaway. Its one of the best hotels in town and a good choice for business or holiday.

However, the location is better suited for business rather than pleasure. Its right in the heart of the city just across from a large dried fish market so you can get some of the aroma. If you are planning on a trek or island hopping, not being on the beach won't be an issue. It is very convenient and you can walk to just about anywhere in the city.

As an SPG member, I got a nice upgrade to a city view suite - it was a huge suite and an appreciated upgrade, however it is with mixed feelings that I did not get a chance to enjoy the wonderful view of the ocean facing rooms.

But there is the executive lounge which is really amazing and has undoubtedly the best sunset view in all of KK. The service in the lounge as excellent - special thanks to Yosef who helped with information about transport.

I also had a chance to meet the new GM there Ms. Fiona. She even knew who I was and took the time to talk about the sights around KK.

Room Tip: Choose ocean view room for amazing view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Sausalito, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My experience staying at this hotel for 4 nights was FANTASTIC! I arrived late on my first night and was exhausted and edgy. Norlinah at the reception was so nice and kind to me, really making me feel welcomed and at home. She offered me an upgrade which I paid extra for to be able to see the sea. The location is perfect right in the heartbeat of the city, with 2 interesting markets to visit right near by. I must have done something right, like smiled nicely as the front desk manager Farrah was super kind and invited me to the lounge for a sunset drink and that was a special thing to do, such a nice way to unwind and watch the sunset. One of the bellmen that I was trying to tip upon my return to the hotel after 5 days of diving in Sipadan, didn't want to accept my tip, because I was returning? I just couldn't believe how kind that was, but insisted on tipping. I would definitely stay there again and it is really the only place to stay in KK.

Room Tip: try to upgrade to have a sea view and to be able to use the lounge for the sunset views and cocktail...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Le Meridien in KK is an excellent hotel with great facilities and a fabulous location. Right in town, close to the amazing fish and other markets. The staff were very friendly and efficient. The view of the sunsets over the ocean was fantastic. Overall, an excellent place to stay in KK.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the ocean
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
FHagan, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Hello MikeFCanberra,

Thank you for your review, it sounds like you had a fabulous time exploring KK and the area around the hotel. Thank you for sharing with others what you enjoyed about the hotel.

Many thanks,
Fiona

Been to Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu? Share your experiences!