“Fantastic hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu

You added Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu to your Saves list
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Tun Fuad Stephens | Sinsuran, Kota Kinabalu 88000, Malaysia   |
Special Rate
Book Now, Save up to 30%
Ranked #5 of 97 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Absolutely no faults to report whatsoever, I firmly believe that anyone who doesn't give this hotel 5/5 is just being excessively picky! What I loved was most was the attitude of the staff, they really can't do enough for you, they're professional, kind, seem very happy and add to the excellent atmosphere. The thing that left the biggest impression on me was that they remembered who I was as a guest and so I felt truly welcome and not just another 'face', which is very impressive considering the number of staff and the size of the hotel. Not only this, but absolutely everyone is welcome there, from families with small children to couples, groups and friends and individual travellers alike. The room was stunning, extremely comfortable, had every necessity, and the bathroom also was highly luxurious. Public areas such as the pool were beautifully maintained, well attended and again, luxurious. The coffee area/bar is expensive but the seating area is lovely, and the breakfast was amazing!! Absolutely every taste and diet was well accounted for, and personally I had a great time choosing from the vast range on offer. Everything was clean, and everything felt absolutely what could be expected from a 5* hotel. Will absolutely be returning to stay in a Le Meridien again, they made my whole trip to the area highly enjoyable and I look forward to returning!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Suresh R, Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Greetings from Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu!

Excellent review received from you and we are happy and humbled to have such great compliments on our service to our facilities to our assortment of breakfasts. Sounds like you had a really good stay, and we are really happy that you did as comfort and satisfaction are our utmost concern.
We hope to see you, your family and your loved ones again.
Thank you and have a great year ahead!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I had 2 stays here while in Sabah, on the first stay I had some sort of insect bite, not sure what caused it and if it happened while in the room but they changed me imediately and upgraded. On the second stay I was told the type of room I had booked was all out and they upgraded me again at no extra cost. The pool area was very nice and clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. Yes it is a bit dated but what do you expect it wasn't built last year. I would stay here again.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Suresh R, Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Greetings from Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu!
I’m glad our team has been of great help to you from time to time. Do let us know if you need any further assistance in the future, and we will be more than willing to assist you.
Looking forward to seeing you, your family, your friends and loved ones again.
Thank you and have a great year ahead!

Suresh Ramasamy
Executive Assistant Manager
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were excited about returning to the Meridien after our previous stay a year ago and found it to still be a really nice hotel. The pool is nice with good poolside service, and I can really recommend the Sabah Ice tea cocktails. We stayed in a club room with complimentary pre dinner cocktails and canapes and free buffet breakfast, and this is definitely worth the extra money when booking. Food and service in the Club lounge is very good.

The only thing I didnt find satisfactory is the extra charge for in room WIFI, I mean seriously, every hotel in Asia has complimentary in room WIFI, even budget hotels so why does the Meridien feel they need to charge extra for it? Other 5 star hotels provide it for free...

Room Tip: Spend the extra for a Club Room, well worth the extra.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Tim,
Greetings from Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu!
Great to hear you had a really a good stay with us, and do come back for more of our Sabah Ice Tea cocktails! We have an abundance of them here.
I’m glad you are happy with your stay at the Club room and the exclusive privileges alongside with the stay.As for the internet, feel free to utilize our complimentary internet at our much-relaxed lobby from time to time. If there are any more request in the future, do share with us as and we will assist you. We look forward to welcoming you, your family, your friends and loved ones again. Thank you and have a great year ahead!

Suresh Ramasamy
Executive Assistant Manager
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Wherever and whenever we travel, we always try to find and stay in a Le Meridien and we have always had good experiences - but not this year. To be fair, we had two stays at this LM - over Christmas and again over New Year. Overall, the hotel is looking a bit tired. The pool isn't great, but at least they have one.

Our first stay was fine. The hotel even put a small Christmas tree in our room per my request for the kids, because Santa can usually find us. We were in a large suite that could accommodate us and our two children with roll away beds comfortably. We had club lounge access and found that the lounge is very small and was unable to accommodate all of the club lounge guests. We stayed in the business center portion one night because every other table and chair was full. They also keep it freezing cold in the lounge - maybe so you'll drink less? They only offer cocktails from 5-7pm - other Le Meridiens we have stayed in have had cocktails available anytime.

Our second stay started as a disaster - after a few days in the rainforest, I received an email confirming we were coming back. It was a very busy holiday coming up and the hotel was fully booked. I emailed back and followed-up with a confirmation call to ensure we had our rooms available. We arrived at 2:00pm and were given room keys - which turned out to be on a smoking floor - when our reservation asked for non-smoking, adjoining rooms (which was confirmed by the hotel when the reservation was made directly with Starwood) one room with a king bed, the other two twins. We didn't even get off the elevator and returned the keys immediately. They asked if they could give us a temporary room on the smoking floor - not acceptable, so they found a temporary room for us while they found something else. The third set of keys in as many hours and our room configuration still wasn't right - we had adjoining rooms, both king beds. Our son and daughter aren't cooperative with sleeping together.

I had to call the front desk and eventually go down to problem solve the issue since no one was getting back to me. They wound up putting a roll away in the second room for our children. Not what was booked three months earlier, and confirmed with the hotel multiple times, and not what we paid for. They added they may be able to move us the following day, but we were out touring all day and didn't want to come back to changing rooms. I managed to get the hotel to comp our in room internet for our trouble, but it rarely worked!

We had interesting experiences in the restaurants as well. I wrote a separate review of Flames. It boils down to poor customer service - we spent a total of 8 nights in the hotel, and each and every time we ate a meal in the restaurant we had to prove our SPG membership and wait a very long time for our final bill. The staff knew after that many nights we were in-house and SPG members. Besides that, as an in house guest, everyone gets 20% off at Flames, but we had to argue about that too, after our five course NYE meal at 250RM++/person that took nearly three hours for them to serve us. They seemed severely understaffed that night. I felt like the F&B manager could care less if we ate in the hotel or not. Honestly, we wondered if it had something to do with us being American. I was in such a sour mood for the new year because of this experience.

The hotel is without a GM (not a good time of year to be without a GM!) - so the acting GM came in on his day off to talk to me about how our stay was going - clearly I was unhappy. The only consolation he offered was an "I'm sorry" and "thank you for your feedback." He did later give us 2,000 bonus Starpoints, but really, that wasn't the point.

I'm sure the hotel gets it right sometimes, but we have never been treated that way at a Le Meridien before. I'm not writing off Starwood completely, nor Le Meridien for that matter, but this particular Le Meridien needs to stabilize their staff and pull it together -

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view would be preferable, the city view isn't that great...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Suresh R, Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Greetings from Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu!
Firstly, thank you for sharing us all your comments and feedback. I have read carefully and thoroughly the feedback and comments that you have shared here regarding your stay.
Please accept our apologies if your stay with us did not meet any of your expectations due to any disservice that have occurred from your booking arrangements and during New Year’s dinner, it is truly our regret.
That said, I have conveyed these to all the relevant departments so that they may action on these issues seriously so that you and other guests will not experience any of the disservice that you have shared again.
In any cases that you need more from us, please reach out and we will try and go all our way to fulfill your request. Once more, we truly apologize for the disservice that you experienced that have indirectly caused discomfort during the New Year’s.
We hope to see you and your family again and we want to provide better service to you then.
Thank you. Have a pleasant week ahead!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

The Meridien is a very comfortable and beautifully located hotel in the middle of Kota Kinabalu. But it is comparably expensive. Everything we ate was very good, but why can't they produce a decent gin and tonic, it's not that difficult, and I for one would be quite happy to pay for it after a long day exploring in that heat. My other objection is paying for access to the Internet, I just don't understand, it costs them nothing and an extra $US 10 for 24hrs is very irritating on to an already fairly hefty bill.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Suresh R, Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Greetings from Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu!
Thank you for your feedback. Glad that you liked the location and its places of interest nearby. As for the internet, our other suggestion would be to utilize the complimentary internet connection at the lobby where you can use it as and when you require.
Do let us know on your other requests should you come and visit us again, and we will be more than glad to assist you accordingly. We look forward to seeing you and your family again.
Thank you and have a great New Year!
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

When we visited KK three years ago, we were awed by the centrality of the hotel and its impressive and newly renovated lobby area. So blindly, we booked le Meridien on this trip. Boy were we disappointed - we even cancelled the subsequent nights after our first night stay. The room was large, but dim, ESP the corners. The mattresss lacked spring, and the edges of the room worn and tired. We wondered how clean the carpet was ESP since we have young kids who love to run around bare footed. The bathroom or air con made a strange noise at night. That's as much as we can take! Also, the hotel concierge seems to be I cahoots with the taxi drivers, insisting on m$15 for a ride down the road, when it was supposed to be m$10. Not so much the cost difference, but the lousy feeling of being fleeced :(

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Greetings from Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu!
Thank you for coming back and staying with us again. We appreciate all your input and would like to share with you that we are constantly working towards the betterment of our facilities and service for you and other guests with enhancements certainly underway.
We look forward to welcoming you again, and hopefully we will be an improved version of ourselves then to you. As for the issue regarding the taxi, we will speak to the respective departments and check on this accordingly.
Thank you for sharing with us and have a great New Year!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed a week at this hotel in a Club Room on the top floor. Could not fault the total experience. Club Room facilities and the staff were all first class. Top location with great expansive views. Used the Tour Desk for all activities recommend the City Tour, Rasa Ria Resort for the Orangutans and the Klias River Cruise. Just terrific. We will be back. Thank you Le Meridien.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Geoff!
Greetings from Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu

Sounds like you enjoyed your stay throughout, and I’m glad all of us here have made your stay a wonderful one with the assistance from our Tour Desk to the club’s staff.
Now that you have said that, we are looking forward to welcome you, your family and friends to the hotel and hopefully the experience will be an even better one.
Thank you for the lovely review and have a great New Year!

Been to Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu? Share your experiences!