“Flames is Hot....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu

You added Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu to your Saves list
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Tun Fuad Stephens | Sinsuran, Kota Kinabalu 88000, Malaysia   |
Offers & Announcements
Stay 3, Pay 2 Only!
Ranked #5 of 93 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Northern Ireland
“Flames is Hot....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

We Stayed in Kota Kinabalu and stopped at Le Meridien for Dinner at Flames with two friends from Oz. The moment we entered the hotel, Rodney asked if he could help us, he informed us of all the dinning options and made us comfortable with drinks and nibbles while we decided. After careful consideration of the menus we decided on Flames and this was no mistake, The restaurant has a great atmosphere even though it is only just opened and the attention to detail is second to none. We were offered fresh bread with a selection of dips and this was just mouth watering, I had to ask for more with my french onion soup as the boys had cleared this up in seconds. My french onion soup was just devine. The manager arrived and greeted all his regular guest and on his way out of the restaurant he stopped at our table which we all agreed was very nice of him to say hello to us and check that everything was ok as this was our first visit to his beautiful hotel with his amazing staff who are absolute ambassadors for his business. I would like to advise that Rodney was superb and made us feel like we wanted to check in to get more of this great treatment. Well done guys for exceptional service!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Hello thank you so much for coming by and try our newly opened Flames. It was nice to see you that evening and hearing that the onion soup was an experience and the steaks were quality.Rodney is indeed a key member of our team and we are happy to have him.
I hope on your next visit to KK you will stay with us.
Alex

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lincoln
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

My husband and I and some of our family stayed at the Le Meridien from 15th March for eight nights. We were in KK to celebrate my brother's wedding to a local girl. We booked one of the Club Rooms and were located on floor 11, which is one floor below the club lounge. The room was large and spacious with a huge bed, plenty of storage space, mini -bar/fridge and a large bathroom with a bath, and separate large shower. I think that the rooms and bathrooms may need a little updating though. We had a room with a sea view which was great, I would recommend that you ask for a high floor due to the noise of traffic being very close to a busy road. It is city hotel, so may not be everyones' cup of tea!

If you go across the road you will be able to visit the daily market selling, fresh fish and seafood, fruit and vegetables and a good souvenir market where you can barter with the vendors.

The Club Lounge was excellent, we were served breakfast in there, afternoon tea, sandwiches, cakes etc between 1500-1700 and then from 1700-1900 - it was cocktails and canapes, very relaxing lounge with great sea views and lovely sunsets if the weather permitted. I would like to extend out thanks to Ade, Tamara, Maxwell and all the other club lounge staff for looking after us very well, they are so polite and helpful.

We did have room service one evening as we were babysitting for our nephews, however, we were disappointed with food quality and it was not very warm. The hotel buffet was very good with lots of choice and fantastic desserts if you like them.

There is a nice pool area on the second floor with a small amount of sunbeds, but as it is probably more of a business hotel they did not have that many. There is a pool bar and the barmen were very good in bringing out cool towels and fresh fruit chopped up most days. There is a gym too and a jacuzzi in the changing rooms together with a Sauna.

There was a situation where I accidently went into a glass door in the club lounge area and was pretty badly hurt on my foot, the staff assisted me and then arranged for me to go to the local medical centre to see a doctor and have an x-ray. I was surprised that the management were not aware of this until I was checking out, and I noticed that after the incident the hotel put stripes onto the glass panels that I went into. They were on other glass doors in the hotel, so they should have had them in all areas, especially as we had young children in our group. I would like to have been contacted by the management just to check how I was as a courtesy.

There a lots of shops and malls very close to the hotel, taxis are pretty cheap as well, and there are loads of restaurants across the road on the boardwalk. There are beaches if you want to go near the Shangri-La Tanjung Aru and the Sutera hotels a few kilometres away.

Overall we were happy with the hotel and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive feed-back. I am pleased that overall you and the family had a good time and enjoyed our Club level services. I am disappointed however with the in room dining quality which we are now adressing by reviewing our existing standards. I also would like to personally apologize to you for reacting too late and not having been enough proactive on the incident you have encountered with the glass door.
Thank you for recommending us to others despite the above shortfalls.
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

After the letdown at Hilton Kuching, I was prepared for another one by Le Meridien KK, being "one of those chain hotels". I was dead wrong. The bellboy got to my bags even before I got myself out of the taxi, checking-in was a breeze, the receptionists patiently entertained my late check-out requests (yes, I made 3 requests for different times), even gave me a Le Meridien pen when she saw me admiring it, I see the floor manager chatting amiably with fellow guests -- the staff were simply amazing!! The spacious rooms and generous supply of toilettries and towels, and the smaller things that a lot of other hotels would overlook like the sejadah in the room and the torchlight - completes it all. The location is superb - walking distance to the popular Filipino Market (practically 5 minutes!), pharmacies, cafes and restaurants, as well as the pasar malam. Needless to say, I enjoyed my experience with Le Meridien KK and will definitely return.

Room Tip: with this hotel, you will be taken care of.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, April 15, 2011
What a reassuring review thank you so much. It feels good to be the captain of the ship when the crew has done such a good job in looking after you. Indeed often large chain hotels might lack warmth and friendliness and I am happy we proved that is not always the case.
Do let me know if you plan to visit or any of your friends will be staying with us.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

First of all, we really enjoy the hotel room and the service during the stay...
The dinner at Flames is awesome, Great Steak & Great Service at LE MERIDIEN KK. Thumb up to the restaurant service for the hospitality. (John & the staff)
Will visit KK again......Lovely stay

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Hello Jachinta thank you for staying with us and for your review. Flames recently opened as the only steak restaurant in town and I am happy it was an experience for you and the family.
Looking forward to your next visit
Rockingham, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

We have just returned from an 8 night stay in this Hotel, it was a wonderful experience, the staff are very friendly and certainly made sure we were comfortable, we had no problems during our stay, our friends in another room had plumbing problems in their room, they were immediatley moved with an upgrade to a suite, the service at this Hotel is the best we have encountered in all the Hotels we stayed at in any country, we would certainly stay at this Hotel again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, April 10, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your views. It has been a pleasure to have the "KK 6" for the week and I have enjoyed our chats. The team look forward to having you back next year or so.
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

This hotel very good location, near to shopping center just walking 5 minutes to famous shopping complex center point, the room vey nice, but one thing don't like is the service from the bell boy name Philip, Is this hotel Practice ask tip from the guest? when this bellboy so call Philip send our luggage he ask tips RM15.00. He said this is Hotel Procedure..Crazy. This management must stop this practice, for me evething is fine except tips Rm15.00

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
Hello Kanit thank you first of all for describing Le Meridien KK as a good hotel. That is nice to read. However on the incident you have experience with one of our team member I would like to sincerely apologize as this is absolutely unacceptable and not in line with our culture and way to educate our employees. Definitely not a practice we tolerate and although this is the first time we hear of such an incident we will be vigilant in the future
Thank you again and I look forward to your next visit
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

Want to have a holiday in a dream Hotel with supurb staff, food, cleanliness and of course... location.. then this is it !! We have stayed at this hotel previously and would not even consider elsewhere as this one ticks all the boxes. The choice of breakfast was fantastic..a wide selection of Asian and Western..and the coffee was the best we have had in Asia. We could go on and on about how wonderful and helpful the staff are but we think you should find out for yourself !!
P.S. Even the mirror in the bathroom does not fog up..haha..what else could you ask for !.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
AlexRiva, General Manager at Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
So happy to know we naiiled it for you and you had a great time. Thank you for spreading the word so that we will have the privilege to welcome more of the fellow tripadvisors and readers in the near future.
Alex

Been to Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu? Share your experiences!