“Require Customer Service and updates immediately” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai

You added Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai to your Saves list
Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Off Jalan Sepanger Bay, Locked Bag 100, Kota Kinabalu 88993, Malaysia   |
Ranked #30 of 93 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Hong Kong
“Require Customer Service and updates immediately”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

1. the coleslaw gone off at restaurant and my wife swallowed some of it. They tried offer free drink as a compensation but we did not take it. because that's not our intension.
2. The shower tub wooden board fell off and u get to see what's underneaf the tub and it's so dirty and disguesting.
3. The shower door cannot be closed
4. The sliding door to the garden fell off the track twice while i opened it, lucky it didn't jam my toe.
5. my toe had a 2cm long deep cut due to there r nails underneaf the carpet due to the carpet was too old and wore out and the nail showed. The major issue is the management there didn't take it seriously and the FO manager claimed they didn't plan this to happen. The whole time, they gave me an attitue that it's not a problem, the duty manager came into my room not didn't take off his shoes and put his hand in his pocket talking to me like it's just so normal to them. I had to lead him to tell me what treatment I should get (doctor, hospital). (not once an apology from them). And at the end, the nails are still there for the rest of the night until the check out the next day and they did not even put a towel on it and i had to do it myself to ensure it won't happen to me or my wife again.
Honestly, to choose again, I would choose other branded hotel around that area, CS is what differeniate branded from non-branded. Cos when accident occurred, you want trained professional to provide the exact aid you required. Not just a room for you.
Nexus's customer service is a disgrace for the beautiful Kota Kinabalu.

Room Tip: check what the local taxi driver offer for transport. Hotel cost triple more for the same service. T...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bromley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

We visited Nexus after a gap of 5 years, and were relieved to find that it was just as good as on our previous visit. We stayed in the Borneo rooms (much closer to the main building than before, which was welcome), which are spacious and beautifully decorated and have scented oil burners which give off a lovely aroma on arrival. The beach is better than I remembered, and there was no shortage of loungers either by the beach or the pool. The spa is the best I have been to - you have the steam/sauna/jacuzzis to yourself and the main hall is amazing. I would also recommend the foot reflexologists who operate on the beach and around the pool. The children had plenty to do and we were grateful for one of the staff volunteering to partner our son at tennis. The golf course looked tremendous and I regretted not playing it. There is a wide range of food, but (as on our previous visit) we found the level of service in the restaurants to be inconsistent. We did go to1 Borneo to eat one evening but there is nothing much there and the taxis are quite expensive.

Room Tip: Request a room close to the main building.
Burnley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I read the reviews after booking a 12 night stay here in November 2010, I have to say I was a little apprehensive after reading the reviews. However on arrival at the resort I was pleasantly surprised.

The resort is gorgeous and very well maintained. The resort itself is surround on one side by a beautifully maintained golf course, which you can walk or cycle around and on the other side a white sandy beach and the ocean, offering 365 degree views.

The hotel offers beautiful tropical gardens complete with water monitor lizards, with some near the size of small Komodo dragons.

The hotel facilities include 5 restaurants, gift shop, small supermarket, a "nightclub", spa, golf course, entertainment lounge and a water park.

The hotel has three pools and a hot tub, they are great pools and cleaned daily, with free thick towels available poolside. I have to conceed however that the hot tub is not a hot tub at all, as the water is cold but refreshing in the Borneo heat and humidity.

The hotel is right on the beach with padded sunbeds available. The sea is as warm as bath water and shallow. We was warned about the abundance of jelly fish that frequent the area, but in our two week stay never saw one. However the sand flies are a menace, even with insect repellent. Despite this I still used the beach almost daily. Pack some bite cream and anti- histamines and you will be fine.

The hotel has 5 restaurants to offer, a chinese, a buffet style, a mediterrianian, Kingfisher (predominately seafood), Sunset (beach side bar and grill). It also has a pool bar offering snacks, during the day and occasional beach BBQ in the evening and a snack menu in the Horizons Lounge.

We ate at the Sunset a couple of times, the food was of a high quality, but a little expensive. The service wasn't all that great either, but the location (being on the beach) was stunning especially at sunset, which more than made up for it's flaws.
We also tried the buffet in the main restaurant. Again this was expensive but was value for money. With soups, starters, salads, hot main courses, seafood bar and lovely deserts.
The poolside bar has snacks and the portion sizes are huge.
However we prefered the "snack" menu in the Horizon Lounge, by the reception. The portion sizes were just right for us, as we don't have big appetites and the price was a fraction of what you would pay in any of the restaurants.

We stopped for 12 nights in a "Borneo Villa" a short walk from the main hotel facilities. Golf buggies are available if you don't want to walk or have difficulty, just call reception and some one will pick you up and take you where you need to go. Each Villa houses 4 rooms and several villas are "clumped" together in a small courtyard. Our room was a ground floor and had a patio area, the upper rooms have a balcony.
The room was great, spacious and cleaned to a high standard daily. The bathroom was spacious with a huge bath and a walk in shower you could have a party in. Bathrobes, slippers, flip flops, iron and board, mini bar, fridge, in room safe and tea and coffee facilities were all included.

The hotel is a 40 minute transfer from the town of Kota Kinabalu, but the hotel runs a pre pay shuttlebus service from the hotel to the centre of town, which runs regually.

I would recommend this hotel and resort and will be definately returning for another stay.

Room Tip: The Borneo Villa's are far superior to the main hotel block. They are well worth the extra money...
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Kuching
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Room was spacious with full amenities.
Service was top notch, and meal spread was very good.
Beaches is beautiful, with fantastic pool.
Only downside is it's location which is far from the city center and it's almost at middle of nowhere, with no attraction surround it. Only thing you can do is to relax at the resort.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Following a fantastic trip five years ago my family and I returned a little warily due to the down swing in recent reviews on tripadvisor, however once again all our expectations were met and exceeded. The setting is beautiful with a divine beach- soft white/yellow sand and incredibly clear water (immersed up to my neck I could still see my feet)- and the resort is built out of such materials that it blends in well with the surrounding rainforest. Although the beach is so beautiful that I could happily spend all day there, if I ever had the inclination to be amused otherwise there was no shortage of activities, often complimentary, like sea kayaking, aerobics etc, and a variety of day trips including snorkelling and scuba diving can be arranged. The highlight of my trip was a visit to the nearby Shangri-La Rasa Ria resort to see orphaned orangutans at the rehabilitation centre there, all arranged by the front desk staff who were always more than willing to help.
The room (Garden Wing) was spacious and well kept- not run down as other reviewers have commented. Staff were quick to respond to our requests for an additional bed, towels etc. The only negative comment I would make is that breakfast was often crowded, as are buffet dinners, and as a family of 5 we frequently had to wait a few minutes for a table.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

This was our third visit. The negative reviews are not our experience which has been very positive. The staff are very helpful and go the extra mile. They even offered to send us a very early morning breakfast when we mentioned that we would be leaving very early the next day. It was a busy period but the staff continued to be attentive. We stayed in the spa villa which was very spacious and clean. The pool in particular was a real hit with my young son. Its never over crowded unlike the pool at the man resort and it offers an opportunity to meet the other holiday makers in a very relaxed setting. The beach is spotless - but watch out for the scurrying crabs ! the sea is divine - very warm and clean. Having spent numerous summers on crowded beached in the South of France, it was a very real treat to have the expanse of beach to ourselves.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Hi my partner and i recently stayed here for 5 nights - we were a little worried after reading some of the reviews - but we needn't have been, The resort is lovely - very well maintained, beautiful tropical gardens, the staff were always very friendly and helpful, beach was very clean and the sea was warm. The pool area is very nice, and the happy hour cocktails in the pool bar are very good also! We were given a free upgrade on arrival and the bed was HUGE and the most comfortable bed i've ever slept in. The buffet breakfast was good. There is a good selection of restaurants - the Seafood platter in the Kingfisher was v good as was the menu at the sunset bar. We're not a big fan of buffet dinners - and the restuarant that did this was a little expensive. We loved it here. Top tip - as alcohol is very expensive in the resort, ask the taxi to stop at a supermarket on the way to the resort to stock up as the resort is far away from independant shops.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Nexus Resort & Spa Karambunai? Share your experiences!