“The Good, The Bad, The Ugly” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #36 of 83 Activities in Kota Kinabalu
More attraction details
Owner description: Mountain Trails Tours & Travel Sdn Bhd is a Malaysian incorporated travel agency licensed by the Ministry of Culture, Arts and Tourism to provide inbound tour services in Sabah.Mountain Trails Tours & Travel Sdn Bhd is part of an established local group of companies with diversified interests in tourism related property development, educational & conservation of nature/wildlife/ endangered species of Sabah.Service and product-oriented, each member of our management team has years of experience in the local travel industry; assisted by experienced reservation/tour/transfer personnel and professional support.
chicago
“The Good, The Bad, The Ugly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We booked the 2D1N Mt. Kinabalu tour with MTT in March 2013.

The Good: Both drivers were on time, friendly, and courteous. Emails were answered promptly. Food provided at Laban Rata was bountiful and good. We finished the climb for my 30th and have a great sense of accomplishment (it is MUCH more difficult than you are led to believe. We are reasonably fit and active and it required every ounce of strength for us to finish). Price was good.

The Bad: Although Abdul responded to emails quickly, information provided was sorely incomplete. Before we left the states, I specifically inquired regarding weather/temperature and was told that weather would be "nice." Our own research revealed that it would be down to 0 degrees C and we would be housed in an unheated dorm! Luckily, we were able to prepare in time. In addition, and this is a HUGE safety concern, we were never advised that we HAD to have headlamps for the 3am, extremely complicated and dangerous climb from Laban Rata guesthouse to the peak in the foggy dark. Again, after doing our own research, we discovered this and emailed Abdul to inquire- the day before we were scheduled to climb. He indicated that we must have a headlamp for safety. We stated that we were extremely frustrated that this information was not provided in an email or on our package packing list on the website in advance and had to race around KK last minute. The return email was rude and no attempt was made to remedy the situation or apologize for the lack of professionalism. This is in STARK contrast to other wonderful tour operators we worked with, both in KK (e.g. Mari Mari Cultural Village & Dive Down Below) and around the world (e.g. Your Morocco Tour for our Sahara trip).

The UGLY: The "guide" MTT provided us with was not a guide at all, was irresponsible, unprofessional, and spoke no English. Jasin Waisin was completely USELESS. On the climb to Laban Rata, he was constantly on his phone- speaking loudly and obnoxiously- and completely disappeared for an hour or two at a time. He practically never spoke to us. When another guide passed and saw me taking Advil, he spent a lot of time to talk with me about altitude sickness and the dangers. Jasin then finally appeared out of nowhere and the other guide spoke to him. Shortly after, Jasin disappeared again for over 1 hour. I was fine- but what if I hadn't been? Additionally, during the ascent to the peak, during the most treacherous parts in the dark and fog, he disappeared (while other guides stuck right by their people and did their job). Lastly, when we were preparing to descend, we found out from another guide that he had left without us-he just took off. We tagged along with some newly made friends and their wonderful guide Rosalie who actually did her job. About 2 hours into the descent, he reappeared and never once addressed us. He frequently disappeared and by the end of the descent, I was ready to yell at him. It was pouring rain, very slippery, and very difficult work. Rosalie guided us and he obnoxiously talked on his phone. We do not think he should have been paid for this and will be filing a complaint with the park also.

Overall, the climb was meaningful but many aspects of the arrangements by MTT (aside from drivers who were great) were unsatisfactory.

Visited March 2013

Singapore, Singapore
4 attraction reviews
“Tough and Terrific”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We booked our KK climb through Mountain Trail Tours and they were fantastic. Communication by email was prompt and concise, every question we asked was answered and everything for our trip arranged. Pick up was on time, our driver sorted everything for us on arrival to Head Quarters (I hired a pole and we did hire a porter to carry our over night gear), lunch was satisfactory with lots of protein (sandwiches, boiled egg, fried chicken, apple and water) and our Mountain Guide was brilliant. My fellow climbers did not experience any altitude sickness and were physically fitter than I so I was ended up being 30-60 minutes behind them. I was so glad "Mac" (Mohd Akmal Yusof) was with me so I was able to let them continue at their pace rather than slowing them down. He basically held my hand for the last km of the Summit Climb and most of the way back down to Laban Rata (I experienced quite severe knee pain coming down). Without his support I wouldn't have been able to experience the full Summit climb. He also took photos of me and for me and was never impatient or rude about being me being slow. Despite the knee pain the climb itself is amazing and well worth doing. Quite a few people suffered from altitude sickness, unfortunately you do not know if you will until you start climbing. Quite a few people didn't make the Summit as we had rain and it is cold up there. Unfortunately we had no sunrise to rave about, we got up there too early and it was raining, and we were not able to descend 'via feratta' due to the weather. We stayed at Pendant Hut and our fellow guests were all quiet and considerate. It is hard to imagine and even more difficult to admit that a group of adults were in single bunk beds, sober at 7pm on a Friday night but we all were! Pendant Hut doesn't have heating or hot water for showers or comfy chairs but for sleeping it was clean, tidy and the sleeping bags were so warm and there was plenty of food for the 2 breakfasts. The staff were friendly, helpful and informative. The buffet dinner at the Lodge at Laban Rata was more than adequate - I am not usually a buffet fan but the food was fresh and tasty. Overall it was a great experience and I would happily recommend this tour company and in particular the guide we had "Mac". We did do the 2D1N climb, in hindsight I think I would have enjoyed my experience more if I had done the 3D2N but my friends enjoyed the 2N1D. experience - if you have the time, don't rush it.

Visited February 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Hardest thing, but the best thing i have ever done in my life...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Wow, when my girlfriend suggested we head off and climb Mount Kinabalu for my 30th, yes i thought she may have been joking, but OMG, what can i say, this has been the best 30th anyone could have asked for.

Dont get me wrong, its one of the most physical things i have done, but get to the top and youve forgotten about the distance you have come... Views are AMAZING!!!

Singapore, Singapore
5 attraction reviews
“Mt Kinabalu and Turtle Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Mountain Trails Tours & Travel arranged our trip to Turtle Island, Bilit Rainforest Resort and Mt Kinabalu. Their organization and the price was fantastic. I would ask them to make an arrangement for our trip again if we were to visit KK.

Petaling Jaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
“2D1N Climb at Mount KK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Mountain Trails Tours & Travel did a great job by arranging a 2D1N climb to KK, which includes accommodation, food & guide.