“Bad service at the reception and arrogant attitude” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)

You added Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) to your Saves list
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Sutera Harbour Blvd, Kota Kinabalu 88100, Malaysia   |
Offers & Announcements
KIDS STAY PLAY & EAT FREE
Ranked #6 of 97 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Certificate of Excellence 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
“Bad service at the reception and arrogant attitude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2006

I stayed at this hotel for five days and come back today, couldn't wait write this review, because this is an hotel that you want to avoid. My first four day was average, even though the bed was very uncomfortable. My terrible instance came when I was checking out of the hotel and the "Receptionist received my payment without even a single thanks and did not offer me an receipt for the payment". As I was asking for my receipt, she didn't even apologies for the mistake. As I comment that she has a bad attitude, she promptly reply that "you walked away after paid the bill", meanwhile I never left the counter.

Then I duly ask for their manager, after 20 min, they took me to see this counter manager, who said " it is human" how his counter staff have acted towards me. Then the manger raise his voice and yelled at me saying that I have been bad to his staff, then walked away.

I hope that you will see me as an example and avoid this hotel if you could.

Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Gold Coast Qld Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2006

Pacific Sutera Kota Kinabalu Sabah, Malaysia 6th March.2006.
Only had a very short stay after business trip to Kl, but this was a very relaxing break. Where it lacked in luxury, it made up with the staff, there were great! right down to the front door man who swore he had seen me before, when I stated no, he replied' Oh well all you Westerners look the same.'.. Very cliche... but very funny and relaxed. Food in main restaraunt brillant and as I was travelling on my own, they all went out of their way to make me feel comfortable. Not much of a beach adjoining the hotel but nice pool, and easy access to the Islands as marina is right out front. Very heplful with ideas to fill in your days and nights. If looking for alittle more luxury, The Magellean may be your ideal hotel.
Would certainly stay here again, actually I am planning another business trip next year and will make certain I stay in beautiful Sabah again, only longer next time. Night markets a must if looking for a little retail therapy without the harrassment of other asian night markets which I have encountered. Some top buys!

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2006

Like any other hotel, there are alot of small niggles. The staff who are freindly, attentive and courteous more than make up for any of these. Dinner comes main course first, no fresh coffee (only instant) at breakfast, shuttered doors between bathroom and bedroom, no balcony on standard rooms. Worst of all the rooms are designed in a triangle formation turning the hotel into a sound box. Any sound made in the corridor is amplified for all to hear.
Guess what? I loved it because it is tropical paradise and life isnt perfect and as long as I am being said good morning to by every member of staff i see and all bend over backwards to make me happy then I am happy and the little things don't seem to matter to much!!

• Stayed April 2006
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2006

Sutera Harbour is wonderful: but its another beautiful resort, with good food, lovely service, great facilities (pools/gym etc) and even in house water sports complex and dive center.

However, Sutera owns a small island off the coast called Makadan (Spelling?) and thats where its at! Crystal blue waters where you can snorkel / kayak / scuba. Beautiful rstic teak wood house with a beach restaurant .. I recommend this place to everyone. Go to the Sutera, use the Sutera, but maybe stay at Makadan!

Stayed May 2005
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2006

Beautiful hotel, when we arrived, bell boy was very helpful. Promptly checked into our rooms and decided to upgrade to Executive Suite. Once again, very prompt service and we were shown a few choices.

Some problems with the Executive Suite, we had a balcony but with no balcony furniture. It was a huge room and only one phone in the bedroom. We called reception, once again promptly taken care off.

Concierge needs to brush up on his english skills. I asked the concierge to recommend me some restaurants and he gave me two names - Suang Ten & Twin Sky. I arrived at Suang Ten to find out the english name of the restaurant was Twin Sky.

Finally, when I asked reception for a weather forecast... the lady went to the business centre for 10 mins and returned to tell me she couldn't find out for me. That was kinda silly.

Apart from the above, staff were very friendly. Just the little glitches which need to be taken care off.

• Stayed December 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2006

Stayed at the Sutera Harbour Hotel, staff and service excellent. Room was extremely good. Reception area is very impresive, large teak and open, from the arrival area you can clearly see the ocean to the rear.The local people proved to be extremely friendly and helpful on our first walk about we were taken into town by 2 local men who not only paid the fare but showed us all the areas of interest, not what we English are used to!!!!
If you like a really good Indian meal go to Kohinoor on the water front, excellent food all the tandoori cooked fresh in front of you, best Indian since Jewel of the North in Penang.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2006

From the moment we checked in (with a welcome drink!) until we left, the staff at the Magellan Sutera were fabulous, and couldn't do enough for us. Even my 3 children (13,10 and 6) commented on how nice everyone was. We spent 10 days here and got to use a range of the Hotel/Marina/golf club facilites.

The rooms...We had adjoining rooms with a seaview. Nice view out to the islands. Large wooden shuttered windows open out to a small balcony. The rooms are smallish. We had a king bed in ours and the kids had twin singles with a rollaway bed which fitted in a little awkwardly. The rooms are comfortable enough with a mini fridge and TV with lots of channels. No clock. A wardrobe but not very much storage space otherwise. The bathrooms are quite large with a nice big bath, but a rather odd set-up of a shuttered window type opening from the bathroom into the main bedroom. Alright for us as a family, but every burp, fart and gurgle that goes on in the bathroom can be heard in the bedroom and vice versa.

The facilities... You can utilise the facilities from the Pacific, the Marina and the golf club, so lots of options. We had the buffet breakfast included in our package - a very large spread with lots of variety. By the end of our stay my 13 year old was eating curry for breakfast like a local! We tended to eat at the more casual dining options around the reosrt (Marina Cafe and Al Fresco)which were about average for in house hotel prices. We had a game of 10 pin bowling which cost about RM25. There are about 8 lanes. None of the movies at the theatre were new release so we didn't bother with this. We took our older boys to have a hit on the golf driving range. We considered a game of golf, but unless you have a handicap they need to assess your swing, and they have fairly strict dress criteria (must have a collar, golf shoes etc)so we decided to forgo it. There are 4 pools across the resort. The kids especially loved the pool with the water slides, but enjoyed a swim at the others including the Olympic sized pool and the free form pools with waterfalls. The "beach" is tiny, but we didn't bother with it anyway. Having the Marina there made it easy to organise a trip out to the islands. Seaquest is the main operator but there are other 3 other operators on the pier there, so compare prices and options. We hired jet-skis (their personnel must ride on the back of the ski with you) and parasailed. It was cheaper to do it with one of the operators while out on the island. The kids club (RM25 for first 6 hours)was very quiet but my daughter loved all the attention that she got, and especially loved having her hair braided. There is also a kids playground near the kids club. The rec room was basic with a few arcade games, pool, foozball, darts etc. Bikes could also be hired. There were a few shops. The only one I went into - North Borneo traders stocked a basic toiletries and supplies as well as some clothing etc. I had a massage at the Mandara Spa RM285 for an 80 minute massage and facial. Not cheap, but a lovely setting where you truly feel pampered. There is a shuttle bus which travels into town every hour and stops at the four shopping centre's, but you must book in advance, otherwise taxi's are only RM10. Lots of other facilities we didn't use include tennis, squash and fitness centre.

Generally...the resort is only a few minutes from town, so it's easy to travel in for meals and shopping. It can get expensive if you're paying resort prices for all meals, so this easy access was a big plus for us. Personally I loved the vast open lobby. No, it is not frigidly air conditioned and closed in - it is meant to emulate a Borneo long house and gave a real feeling of being in tropical Sabah. I also enjoyed seeing the lady who played the traditional music in the lobby every morning - it was a great way to start the day.

The staff... were exceptional and really made our stay special. I'd definitely return!

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)

Address: 1 Sutera Harbour Blvd, Kota Kinabalu 88100, Malaysia
Bar / Lounge Beach Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free Parking Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#2 Spa Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#3 On the Beach Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#3 Business Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#4 Luxury Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Romantic Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
#6 Family Hotel in Kota Kinabalu
Hotel Class:4.5 star — Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) 4.5*
Sutera Harbour Resort is Malaysia’s foremost premier integrated property. The Resort encompasses the luxurious accommodation of The Pacific Sutera and The Magellan Sutera hotels, a 27-hole championship golf course, Sutera Harbour Marina & Country Club, two Mandara Spas and a host of dining and recreational facilities. Sutera Harbour Resort is also affiliated with 5 other eco-destinations in Sabah managed through Sutera Sanctuary Lodges including Kinabalu Park, Mesilau Nature Resort, Laban Rata, Poring Hot Spring & Nature Reserve and Manukan Island Resort. The Resort also offers a luxury charter division, North Borneo Yachting and steam locomotive through North Borneo Railway. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Hotel
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera And The Magellan Sutera)
Sutera Harbour Hotel
Sutera Harbour Kota Kinabalu
Magellan Sutera
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera) Kota Kinabalu, Sabah

If you own or manage Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera), register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.