“fantastic stay!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort

Save Saved
You added Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort to your Saves list
Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pantai Dalit Beach | P.O. Box 600, Kota Kinabalu 89208, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
7 Nights Getaway Package
Ranked #1 of 92 hotels in Kota Kinabalu
London, United Kingdom
“fantastic stay!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I want to thank all the lovely staffs for making my stay so wonderful! They always had a smile !
It was my partner 's birthday and a birthday cake was organised. The next day, one of the staff called me to make sure every thing was great.
The food in the Coast restaurant was delicious! The buffet restaurant by the pool side was great! Breakfast was amazing!! I couldnt believe the quality of food and the choices were so great!! I always wish i could eat more every morning!
Room was beautiful and clean!! Check in check out were very smooth.
The beach was very clean and the hotel provided with towels and sunbeds.
Although it was an hour frlm the aitport and 40 mind away from city centre, my stay was so wonderful and i cant wait to go back!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Shangri-LaRasaRia, General Manager at Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear fifitang, thank you for your feedback. It’s great to hear that you and your partner had a wonderful stay and both of you liked the birthday cake, room and also the quality of the food and breakfast. I will be sharing your favorable review with my team and we look forward to your next visit!

3,297 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (874)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

This is the second time I stayed in this hotel though the first time with kids. I travel with three families here and were arranged connecting rooms per our request. My 5 yr old girl love the water slides a lot and my hubby like the fact that it is newly renovated. i like that they have an extra kids bed ready though the room is not big.

If only this is closer to the city it would be much better as we were forced to have in room dining one evening since we could not find a table for 10 at 7pm with indoor seating (mosquito concern).

• Stayed July 2013
Wangaratta, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Once again, after spending 2 weeks travelling various parts of Sabah, I had the pleasure of spending 2 weeks at the Shangri-la Rasa Ria Resort.
The resort continues to be a little bit of paradise. Congratulations to Randy Zupanski and his wonderful team.
I arrived fairly late in the evening at around 10pm as I had been to Sandakan and beyond. As a Member I was checked in at the Golden Circle desk in the lobby. I was the shown to my room and, I was given a choice of extra amenities, I chose 2 cans of beer, to cans of coke and milk and cookies.

The Room

I stayed in an Sea View Garden Wing Room on the 5th floor. The room is a good size with a very comfortable King (huge) bed, good desk, wardrobe cupboard and drawer facilities. There is a lower area in the room, with a day bed, which leads onto a balcony with a small table and 2 chairs. The balcony is a great spot for an evening drink to watch the sunset.
The bathroom had a large walk in shower. Amenities provided were all that you need, good size soaps, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, body lotion, tooth brushes and paste, cotton buds, hair bands and make up pads. Plenty of excellent bath and hand towels, face washers and a bath mat are provided. Towels were replaced during the day if required.
There are robes and scuffs plus an iron and ironing board in the wardrobe. A hair dryer is also provided. Laundry is available at RM80 for a large bag of dirty clothes. Fresh fruit was provided.

Restaurants and Bars.

I ate at every restaurant in the resort, Naan, Coast (see separate Review), Coffee Terrace, Kozan (see separate review) and Tepi Laut. I love all the staff in Coffee Terrace, you are wonderful and thank you for you final night’s table decoration .
All the restaurants were very good to excellent.
The internet café is a good place for a cup of coffee and a light snack. WiFi is readily available throughout the resort but there a computers for use in the café.

A comment is necessary on the behaviour of some guests, I won’t mention where they come from but they and other guests will know. Their attitude and manners are disgraceful with their push in approach, loudness, rudeness and greed, to the point of taking tables allocated to others and putting bags on other guest chairs in the restaurant. Congratulations to the staff at Coffee Terrace in particular for their tolerance.

The evening happy hour at the Sampan Bar was great fun and thanks to all the Australian wedding party for your company and gonging.

The Beauty Contest (Unduk Ngadau)

An honour was given to me when I was asked to be a judge at a beauty contest among staff members for the Harvest Festival. Making as choice was very difficult you were all so beautiful.

The Staff

All I can say about the staff is that they are all wonderful and provide exemplary service and assistance. Like my previous night’s experience at Coffee Terrace, the farewell song from so many as I left was very nice. Your gifts were very much appreciated particularly the latter signed by so many.

I WILL be back!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear bigw, thank you for choosing us again at Rasa Ria! Your feedback is much appreciated with many useful tips for our other guests.
I’m delighted to hear that you liked the table decoration and the farewell song during your final night. I have noted your comment regarding the behavior of some guests and thank you for your understanding and for recognizing our Coffee Terrace team efforts. Also, thank you to be one of our judges for our staff member's Harvest Queen contest and for making this contest a successful one. Just to let you know that we all miss you already. All of us at Rasa Ria look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We arrived at the hotel after a three day stopover in Singapore , the check in was quick and easy and we were showed to our room on the third floor of the garden wing the room and the view out on to the ocean was captivating as it was our anniversary the staff had made the room very special with rose petals etc, The all experience was wonderful my husband did get bitten by the sand flies but it did not stop us from enjoying the all trip .Special thanks to Felisca the assistant service manager in the restaurant also the chef who both went out of their way to help us and make our stay special also the young girl in the lobby who greeted you is an absolute joy .

Room Tip: high sea facing
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Nuneaton Uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Our experience at the Rasa Ria Resort was absolutely amazing. The staff are amazing from the warm traditional welcome, throughout our stay, excellent service at all times. Excellent facilities and organised activities and also very relaxing surroundings. The resort is extremely clean through out, the rooms are very spacious with very private balconies. We had our dream holiday and would go back tomorrow if there wasn't so many other places to visit in the world!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed for 8 days in an Ocean wing room, and with 5 excellent restaurant's and a dedicated pool and reception for Ocean wing clients, it was like being in business class!.
The room was magnificent with a huge balcony, worth the extra dollars.
Although 45 minutes from town, the $6 shuttle will show you that you are missing nothing by staying out of KK.

Room Tip: Ocean wing is a better and bigger room and away from the main pool with children.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I am not sure where the extremely good reviews come from.
Overall an ok experience with some major flaws that kept us from having a really nice weekend.
First of all: this is a family resort. If you are not coming with kids, be aware that during breakfast, lunch and dinner in the main restaurants, there is a significant amount of noise and chaos. For families it works well though.
Upsides: nice beach, great Japanese restaurant, good location for relaxing.
Downsides: breakfast is chaotic at best - staff can not refill food fast enough. Cappuccinos take 15min to get to you and you stand in line for scrambled eggs up to 15min. It's all bearable, but not really up to the standard of a 5star resort.
Biggest complaint: 10 umbrellas on a beach that is wide and deep and beautiful. Even when we requested more chairs and umbrellas, the answer was "not possible". Thats a shame, as the beach is far more beautiful than the pool. Then again, for a family the slides and the pool for the kids are probably preferred anyway.
When we arrived we received no welcome drink, cold towel or introduction to the resort. It's fine that they do a quick check-in in your room, as it was late. But it was missing the touch of really welcoming you.
Good points were erased by mistakes later: there was no warm water when we had to leave, so the manager offered us free dinner - a very nice touch. There was no bill at dinner. But when we had to leave at 4am, we were delayed for 20min, as they needed to charge us for the water during dinner. They didnt take any foreign currency, credit card wasnt working, so our last minutes at the resort became the most frustrating.
Overall: go here for a weekend, take your kids, see the Orang Utans. Don't go here for a longer stay if you want a romantic get-away.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Shangri-LaRasaRia, General Manager at Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear RoadWorrier17, thank you for your feedback. I was very concerned to learn of your disappointing experience and that we failed to meet your expectations.
Rasa Ria is a family-friendly resort, especially at Garden Wing, which is more family orientated as it is closer to the Kids Club and the kids slide. However, we do have another unique product, Ocean Wing, which is more exclusive and designed mainly for those who desire privacy and the finest luxury experience. At Ocean Wing, guests can enjoy the double sized bathtub at the balcony, breakfast buffet in the acclaimed Coast restaurant, and also the breathtaking swimming pool which reserved exclusively for Ocean Wing guests.
I have also noted your comments regarding the sunbed on the beach, your arrival and dining experience. With regards to the loungers on the beach we currently have additional loungers en-route that should be in place hopefully next week. Unfortunately being on an island sometimes has its disadvantages for Delivery timing. Be assured that this will be resolved quickly. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you endured during your stay. Should you have any additional feedback I would really appreciate if you could email me directly at randy.zupanski@shangri-la.com for more specific details that will help us identify the disappointment you experienced. Thank you once again for your constructive review and I look forward to your reply.
Randy Zupanski

Been to Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort? Share your experiences!