We stayed at the Rasa Ria in October 07, there was myself my husband and 2 children aged 4 & 8.
The hotel is beautiful, set right on the beach in a bay with the rainforest behind. The forest is thick and lush and because there is nothing else around gives the feeling of being amongst nature. There is a shuttle bus into Kota Kinabalu which takes approx 40 minutes and costs about RM30.
We went in one day on the shuttle but then decided to hire a car. Having the car was great because driving over there was fine and going into town only took about 20 mins. We left the kids in the kids club which they thoroughly enjoyed and did some shopping without them. Because of the humidity they tend to get quite tired.
The kids club organise a "Lighting Ceremony" each evening which the children can participate in. They dress them up and they come out as princesses and warriors, it's really lovely and of course the children think it's is wonderful.
We thought the food at the resort was great, lots of variety and very friendly staff. We did not eat at the Coast Restaurant but did go in for a drink. The decor is absolutely amazing and well worth a look. They have these lights that look like jellyfish hanging from the ceiling.
The food for Malaysia is quite expensive at the resort but if you're on holiday you don't mind. We did eat in KK a couple of times and it was very reasonable, dinner at an Indian restaurant for 4 people was only RM40 with softdrinks.
The pool is lovely with plenty of shade and a great kids pool and happy hour cocktails from about 5pm.
We drove up to Mt Kinabalu, visited Poring Springs and the treetop walk, forget what it was called. A fabulous day out and at our leisure instead of going on a tour.
Another day we went with a diving tour operator to Mantanani Island. It was like those pictures you see on a postcard, crystal blue waters and white sandy beaches lined with palm trees. My husband went off diving with the other 6 people on the boat and the girls and I sat on the beach under the palms, swinging in hamocks, we were the only people there other than the staff from the tour operator who were cooking a BBQ lunch for us all.
We snorkelled a little and had a wonderful day.
Another thing you should do is visit the Orang utans, they are so gorgeous and come quite close to the platforms after they have eaten to play and show off. Quite a few people left after a while and missed alot of their antics. They are wonderful creatures and well worth seeing.
We did visit some of the other hotels in town, but I did enjoy being out of town, the setting was magnificent.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Rasa Ria Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La`s Rasa Ria Hotel
- Shangri Las Rasa Ria Hotel
- Shangri La Rasa Ria
- Rasa Ria
- Shangri La Rasa Ria Resort
- Rasa Ria Resort
- Shangri Las Rasa Ria Resort
- Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort is set on Pantai Dalit beach surrounded by 400 acres of lush tropical vegetation, including a unique nature reserve. Here you'll meet Sabah's icon, the fascinating Orang Utan, as well as a remarkable array of indigenous flora and fauna. Unexpected encounters with hornbills who glide right overhead, peacocks walking by during breakfast, a friendly bear cat greeting you from a tree or the occasional wild rabbit, iguana or squirrel crossing your path are all part of the magic of this remarkable resort. Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort goes beyond the offerings of Kota Kinabalu hotels by providing numerous options for relaxation. This includes the magnificent Spa at Dalit Bay, a wide range of water sports, Rasa Ria's own catamarans for cruises and deep sea fishing, a challenging 18-hole championship golf course, ATV safaris, tennis, horse riding, a fitness centre and, of course, a fun-filled Kids' Club to care for younger visitors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Expedia, Hotels.com, Splendia, Priceline, Tingo, AsiaRooms, Otel and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.