We visited this hotel resort during Chinese New Year. While the resort was packed and we arrived at the same time as someone obviously seriously important i.e a Malaysian politician of some importance - the service we were afforded on arrival and throughout our stay was way beyond average and deserves being flagged as truly memorable.
Our room which was in the Ocean Wing, more than met our expectations and everything worked perfectly. There was a small balcony with lovely contemporary outdoor furniture to enjoy at sundown; plenty room for our suitcases, cupboard space to pack out, gorgeous fluffy towels that actually absorb the water off you (for a change), aircon you can control and that actually works, the hairdryer, free wifi, hot water and lovely mattresses as well as an extra bed provided for our daughter, to mention only a few things we noted on arriving in the room. One thing to note is that this hotel leaves the bar fridge empty for you to decide how to fill up, and while it was a bit of a hassle at first, we realised the value in this and thought it worked well. There is a super little store in the resort you can visit to stock up on just those things you like most at a cost you can control and therefore enjoy. A perfect arrangement.
The remainder of the facilities in the resort are all in very good nick throughout the resort from the fabulous swimming pools to the plentiful sun beds and very wind-proof umbrellas. If you have older children or no children, you might find the pool near the Ocean Wing quieter and less demanding ito finding some where to sit in the shade, etc.
There were always lifeguards in view - not that this was a concern for us - but if you have small kids, it is a comfort.
There are several excellent restaurants to keep you interested especially if you stay a week or so. We highly recommend "The Naan" (Indian) and Coast restaurants, but the others on offer were also most enjoyable. They all seemed very child friendly, but Coast is probably a little more conducive to older kids (teens) and adults. It was just wonderful not to face a buffet every day which is generally possible at such a busy time of the year in many Asian resorts. We also had room service on occasion, and this too was top class. The menu selection was diverse catering for both Asian and Western palettes as well as kiddies (I noted about four menus for kids to choose from); and the speed of delivery was outstanding.
I can't say enough that at this time of the year, a resort like this could easily be overwhelmed by sheer numbers. The Shangri-La Rasa Ria was not. Things ran smoothly, and the management clearly knew how to gear up to better cope under such conditions which reduced stress and made for an all round excellent experience that we will long remember. Staff of all levels were always visible and attentative. We cannot sing our praises loud enough.
Other than swimming and beach volleyball, there was a lot more to do. We took advantage of the golf facilities on site and enjoyed our two days of golf very much. Be warned that the club house is not airconditioned, which is a small 'downer' when everything else is so very good.
The Dalit course is in good nick and a challenge for accomplished and beginner players. Buggies or golf carts are available, and so is an aquatic driving range as well as chip and putt facility. The pro shop can cover most emergencies, but do not rely on it for any momentos, etc. It is adequate. Clubs and golf shoes can be hired at a nominal expense. We took our own clubs along and they were stored very safely at the hotel and transported to the club house when we played. We did not use caddies.
Our daughter who is 15 years did the "Researcher for the Day" programme at the Nature Center on site and was thrilled. Bern, Laslie and the team are truly dedicated and very hard working. Their cause is a special one, in our opinion, and the four Orangutans being rehabilitated at the facility while we were there, will no doubt one day be free again in the rain forest. We did the Orangutan viewing twice and we also participated in the nature / canopy walk. All very do-able for average fit people. However, sometimes there is a little incline or climb which may be a little challenging -- yet worth the effort. What a brilliant eco-tourist facility and kudos to all who are involved. Please note there is a nominal fee charged to participate, but it is all worth every penny especially since it goes towards the rehabilitation project.
The resort has many other activities on offer such as a spa, a gym, sailing, etc ~ far too many to mention more in detail, but suffice to say, the Shangri-La goes all out to cater for the entire family. Everyone gets to enjoy themselves and there is nothing nicer that sitting down to a great sundowner during Happy Hour after a wonderful day at this outstanding resort.
It is well worth mentioning that if you find you have exhausted the array of activities on site at the resort, they also offer excursions and trips outside of the resort at an extra cost.
We do not hesitate to recommend this as a resort for honey-mooners and families alike, as well as more mature guests. You will all have a fabulous experience. We certainly had a wonderful, memorable stay.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Rasa Ria Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La`s Rasa Ria Hotel
- Shangri Las Rasa Ria Hotel
- Shangri La Rasa Ria
- Rasa Ria
- Shangri La Rasa Ria Resort
- Rasa Ria Resort
- Shangri Las Rasa Ria Resort
- Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort is set on Pantai Dalit beach surrounded by 400 acres of lush tropical vegetation, including a unique nature reserve. Here you'll meet Sabah's icon, the fascinating Orang Utan, as well as a remarkable array of indigenous flora and fauna. Unexpected encounters with hornbills who glide right overhead, peacocks walking by during breakfast, a friendly bear cat greeting you from a tree or the occasional wild rabbit, iguana or squirrel crossing your path are all part of the magic of this remarkable resort. Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort goes beyond the offerings of Kota Kinabalu hotels by providing numerous options for relaxation. This includes the magnificent Spa at Dalit Bay, a wide range of water sports, Rasa Ria's own catamarans for cruises and deep sea fishing, a challenging 18-hole championship golf course, ATV safaris, tennis, horse riding, a fitness centre and, of course, a fun-filled Kids' Club to care for younger visitors. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Splendia, Priceline, Tingo, AsiaRooms, Otel and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.