“Good” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Kinabalu

You added Hyatt Regency Kinabalu to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Datuk Salleh Sulong, Kota Kinabalu SA 88991, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Advance Purchase 15% Off
Ranked #11 of 93 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Hong Kong, China
“Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Helpful and competant staff. Food surprisingly good. Perfect location, walking distances to many local experiences. Happy to recommand. Moderately priced. Never do currency exchange in the hotel. Asdghkllpiyghjhvgddhjfgfddsfhhbxfhj

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
HRKinabalu, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Kinabalu, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Richard C,

Thank you for the kind review! We are delighted that you got to enjoy the warm sabahan hospitality we pride ourselves on. We also strive to provide dining options for every tastebud.

As for the exchange rate, we are sorry that you had a bad experience. Our rates are comparable to other five-star hotels in the city and we provide it as a value-add service.

We hope that this minor experience will not stop you from staying with us soon! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Hyatt Regency Kinabalu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I arrived there at 2300 due to some last minute cancellation of a trip and was told that there was only one suite left. I took the room but the young female and male staff that didn't really want to serve me. When I entered the room, obviously, there was someone resting in there with dirty dishes and cup. I called the reception twice with answer, but no sign of anyone coming. I then called the room service, that reluctantly called in someone to clean instantly. I was quite angry. I had breakfast at the top floor and the breakfast was good with great view. When I left, a more senior manageress came to apologize for the room situation and offered me a discount. At least, someone still care about its service. I picked this hotel as I stayed here 10 years ago when I was younger and when it was the only 4 stars hotel in town. I had a very good memory. First was disappointed by the poor service in the reception but the manageress showed me that it's still worth staying.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Reading a few other reviews of this hotel, I am happy to recommend it. This hotel shares its market with local Malaysian travellers and tourists as well as foreigners, so if you are looking for a glass and chrome Caucasian experience, look elsewhere. But if you want reasonable value, excellent service, well appointed rooms and a good location, then this is a good place. The hotel exterior is old, and the interior décor is a little dark but on the whole it is well maintained and appointed. We only had one meal here other than club lounge breakfasts which were quite OK, but the lunch wasn't the best. But we were competing with the main buffet with an a la carte order in the main dining area so that might explain it. I would take the buffet in future, it was just a little 'bigger' than we wanted to have for that particular meal.
The club lounge staff could not have been more helpful or friendly, and made us feel completely at home all of the time.

Room Tip: We took a Regency Suite as part of the Hyatt Gold privileges. It was a great room with a good view...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I first visited Hyatt KK about 5 years ago, and it was showing signs of its age. In 2013, the rooms and pool have been refurbished, and it has been transformed into a most modern and luxurious establishment. I stayed here for 4 nights for work, and its location in the center of town was most convenient. I could just walk to my event venue at Suria Sabah Mall, and other offices were conveniently reached by taxi, of which there were plenty waiting outside the Hyatt.
The rooms were very comfortable and had man space-saving features. The bath area was separated by sliding doors that converged to completely separate the restroom when in use,but when retracted, allowed the room to have much greater space and light. All the essentials were hidden under the kitchen sink - it took a call to reception to find out where the kettle was!
TV was an LCD with many satellite channels available.
Breakfast was OK - many of the same dishes were repeated throughout my stay, and there was not as much variety as you would expect from a 5 star. There were also odd touches, like serving dim sum with salty soy sauce.
My family joined me halfway during my stay, and the hotel was able to arrange 2 rooms with connecting doors for us. It must have been logistically difficult to do that, as I had come earlier. Kudos to Hyatt staff for that sleight of hand!
Highly recommended. I miss it already!

Room Tip: Get a seaview room. The sunsets are spectacular
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear DonBoy69,

What a pleasure it is to have you as a returning customer for so many years.

For your kind information, we underwent a major room and poolside renovation which was completed in 2011. We are glad you find the changes aesthetically and functionally pleasing.

We are indeed lucky to be situated in the central business district, close to any kind of needs our guests could want and we are glad you got to take advantage of this.

Your feedback on our breakfast options has been noted, and rest assured we strive to provide a variety to suit every tastebud.

We try to accommodate our guest's every need and want to our best ability so we're thrilled to know that you had enjoyed your stay here with us! Thank you again for your feedback and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

While the hotel is a little dated the club rooms were comfortable and the lounge great for breakfast and cocktails. However, the highlight is the service. The staff were incredibly polite, helpful and efficient. They made a point of remembering my name, albeit Mr. Paul. The club lounge offered great views of the bay and Gaya Island.

Room Tip: Seek a seaview room, usually even numbers. Pay a little extra for club floor since breakfasts and co...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Penang Island, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Location - Situated in the middle of KK town, what more can I ask. Walking distance to Gaya Street Market and other Malls including entertainment outlets.

Room - Excellent. That is all I can say

Service - I find that hospitality in Sabah is exceptional. They are so suitable to be in this business. It was great to see this friendly and helpful staffs around. They even sent me an email to require about my stay...now that is what I call a good after service :)

Food - Good. I wish they serve more local (Sabahan) food.

Gym/Jacuzzi/Sauna - Excellent !

Overall - Excellent !

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear joaowee,

We're so glad you enjoyed your stay here at the Hyatt Regency Kinabalu! Thank you for taking the time to write about us.

We are very lucky to be situated in such prime location, where our guests can be in the heart of the action whether it is to shop, do business, enjoy local tourist attractions or take in the local night scene.

We also take a lot of pride in showing the genuine warmth and generosity that is Sabahan hospitality, which is in line with Hyatt's brand of authentic hospitality.

In response to you feedback on our dining options, we will make every effort to include more local Sabahan food into our future menus.

Thank you again for your positive feedback and we are very much looking forward to welcoming you back here soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We checked-in at the hotel for 1 night early December for leisure - in transit in KK for our trip to Hong Kong. The hotel has been refurbished and looked really new and with modern design. The room was great and clean. The bathroom design is unique where the wash basin/coffee/tea area are located at the same cabinet. We were allocated the room facing the atrium where the restaurant is located at ground floor hence do not have a view of the ocean or city. And the evening music/piano at the restaurant may bother you, although they stopped at around 9pm. The hotel is located next to Merdeka Mall and is also a short walk away from the new Suria Mall.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean or city view room. Room with atrium view does not have a view and may be noisy.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Regency Kinabalu? Share your experiences!