This hotel was amazing. Maybe it's just me and I'm used to budget hotels, hostels and camping but I could not believe the service provided. The setting was just beautiful and the islands a short boatride away are a must see, especially good for swimming. I was a little dubious about using the hotel beach due to the nearby sea village, the sea smelled a little of sewage so for swimming, I used the pool.
On the down side, my room was a little damp and smelled a little mouldy but not terribly and I've experienced far worse.
There was also good nightlife in the hotel and a bar that seemed to attract locals as well as hotel customers that gave it a friendlier feel than the lounge bar- can't remember what it was called.
The food was wonderful and the service couldn't have been better or the staff friendlier and eager to help.
Kota Kinabalu is a bustling city and great for shopping, not to mention friendly locals who will come and talk to you without hassling you.
It is also a must to go to Sandakan to visit the oran utan sanctuary.
I would return there in a second - if I could afford it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com and Asiatravel.com Holdings so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa Kota Kinabalu, Sabah