Hotel was great, just right for a relaxing holiday to destress and unwind. Read a few reviews on trip advisor and the reviews were not that good, was a bit worried as I had already booked accomodation. I also stayed in the wing of the hotel everyone bagged, but I thought it was fine. I think people are too fussy these days and picky. I travelled with my elderly mother and we were given a twin room with huge king single beds, The bathroom was amazing. We actually got a seperate shower, not those horrible ones in the bath. And the bath room didn't fog up with steam!!! We had a lovely sitting area and a balcony with a handy pull out line for bathers to dry on. We stayed in the Kinabalu wing. We had the best view from our room. We could see the islands and the city at night lit up.
We could always get a sun bed. The staff around the pool were great and entertained us with games etc. The price of the food was just under australian prices but 5 star. The alcohol was very expensive $10 for house wine and then add the plus plus (taxes)to it!!! Just follow the happy hours round the hotel then certain drinks are half price (including softdrinks).
One thing that did annoy us was not knowing about the events going on in the hotel. Apparantely we should of got a card with next days events with the turn down services. We only got the cards on the last 3 days which was a bit late as we stayed 10 days. And missed activites we would of liked to have done. We ate at all the restaurants and they were all good. We also ate out side the hotel in town and down the road.
Another thing that needs to improve is the massive steep stair case you have to go down to the main buffet restaurant. Family's struggled with prams etc and the nearest lifts were in the wings either side of the hotel. There should be a lift to get from the lobby level to the buffet restaurant/ pool level. We went a few times in from the back way to miss out on the steps.
I have a sister in a wheel chair and she would of been able to get around all of the resort. There were ramps most places even a little steep at times. She may need to take a long way around for so things like the hotel shop and buffet restaurant depending on what direction she was coming from.
Over all a good hotel. 3 star price for 5 star resort. I would go again.
Oh and shopping and Kota kinabalu was terrible not like Singapore or Dubai very diappointed.
Airport was terrible, old and hot.
Airline was Malaysian and I won't be flying with them again. Very old and terrible service from staff. The plane smelled
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Expedia, Agoda, Hotel.de, Hotels.com, AsiaRooms, Orbitz, Despegar.com, HotelTravel.com, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa Kota Kinabalu, Sabah