As a family with a son of 11 this was our first trip to Malaysia. As mentioned by other reviewers, our arrival was a fantastic experience and the best I am yet to receive. From the door being opened at the steps to the lobby, from the drum to signal your arrival and the welcome from Francesca, our guest adviser, we were greeted with cold flannels and lemon grass water in impressive surroundings.
We had considered upgrading to the Kinabalu lounge when booking but decided against it, instead this was offered at a discounted rate when we arrived and we are glad we accepted.
Our suite was located in the Tanjung wing and put simply, it was fantastic. From the two bathrooms, to the fresh orchids, the attention to detail was admirable. Everything you would ever want from a hotel room was here; bottles of water aplenty, a fruit bowl on the table and toiletries replenished daily and something I really appreciated, the daily local English newspaper left on the door handle each morning. We overlooked the golf course and the sea, making for a quiet experience.
Returning to the Kinabalu lounge for drinks, Johnny and his staff were attentive, whilst not being overbearing. The lounge offers excellent views of the gardens and South China Sea, so we stayed and watched the sun go down. Our first few hours at the hotel could not have been better.
The location of this Hotel is stunning and only 10 minutes from the airport. The gardens superb – I recommend taking the Kinabalu lounge lift to the ground floor and spending a few moments at this pond and waterfall. The swing chairs are a great way to spend time in the beautiful area.
With a youngest that loves water we spent a lot of time at the pool. Plenty of sun beds and no need fight for a spot.
We wandered down to the Spa when we arrived and by now it was approaching dusk. This is a magical place at night. One of the staff showed us around and this set the mood for my wife to sample the treatments. The prices were reasonable and the attention given by the staff wonderful.
Unlike other reviewers we did not experience issues with waiting for drinks at the pool.
We also booked this trip for the Orang-utans, visiting the sister hotel the Rasa Ria on the third day. The trip was arranged by our hotel and involved a 45 min coach ride. first. The centre is adjacent to the hotel and a visit involved a 30 min video presentation, then a 10 min climb into the jungle to the viewing platform. The 3 young Oran-utans did not disappoint and we spent almost an hour in their presence.
The Rasa Ria is also a lovely hotel but the Tanjung is better. The Rasa Ria seemed very quiet.
Having spoken to other guests who had said that Sepiloc Centre was disappointing, our next trip was for the proboscis monkeys on the river trip. This was arranged at the hotel and although the monkeys stayed high in the trees (it is the wild after all), the highlight for me were the fire flies, these realy did look like Christmas decorations. We even managed to see some crocodiles on the return trip at night.
Food wise we sampled all of the restaurants. The breakfasts in the Kinabalu Lounge were a highlight, with Coco Joes offering good poolside fair. The Shanghi Palace provided good Chinese but then its clientele was mostly Chinese! It was Peppino’s the Italian restaurant was a disappointment, with very little atmosphere although the food was acceptable – no wow factor here. The best found we ate was at the Borneo Lounge by the main lobby. Our first meal, the fish finger was a delight - this arrived with deep fried fish pieces held in a tortilla type basket. Fantastic!
At the end of our stay we kept on the suite without any fuss and booked out in minutes.
All in all this the best hotel we have stayed in to date. We have already looked at other Shangri-La hotels in the Far East for next year and in a couple of years, we plan to return to this one!
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Tanjung Aru
- Shangri La Tanjung Aru
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just ten minutes from Kota Kinabalu International Airport the resort is set in 25 acres of award-winning gardens along the sweeping bay with a private beach overlooking the islands of Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park. The contemporary rooms provide modern luxury and are situated in two separate wings overlooking the mountain or stunning South China Sea. The resort offers a wealth of recreational facilities such as a beach, four tennis courts, a nine-hole pitch and putt golf course, Leisure Centre, fully equipped Health Club and Borneo’s largest kids club. Other facilities include a brand new 2,000 sq. meter pool with tapered shoreline and infinity section for adults, Sunset Bar, Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill, Health Club and Cool Box Ice Cream Bar.In February, 2013 the resort unveiled a brand new STAR Marina. At the STAR Marina, one can choose to go sailing, windsurfing, water-skiing or take a day trip to the island for swimming, snorkeling or scuba diving. Additionally, the marina also offers private charter services, fishing and diving courses and equipment for rent. With seven restaurants and bars, the resort offers a multitude of dining experiences and culinary creations ranging from Asian to international favorites and is also home to the award winning CHI, The Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travelocity, Booking.com, Tingo, AsiaRooms, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, Otel, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.