“Excellent place.. met all expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   20 Jalan Aru, Tanjung Aru, Kota Kinabalu 88100, Malaysia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 92 hotels in Kota Kinabalu
San Diego, California
“Excellent place.. met all expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have traveld to 38 countries now. This will be an experience that I will remember forever..
If you are trying to decide which hotel to stay at. I recommend this one over the other one. We went there for the monkeys in the forest.. great trip!!

Great hotel, service, drinks..

Make sure you utilize the happy hour or your bill will be through the roof..

Rooms were better than expected!!

Pool was amazing..

favorite spot was the
sunset bar!

Only complant I would have is everybody went to bed early! Nothing was truly open to late.
The breakfast was amazing and well worth it, Make sure you get it in your room deal!!

Staff was great.

We pulled into port for three nights and I never had to leave the grounds... everything was already there!!

Do the monkey trip from this hotel to the other hotel.

Room Tip: Get ocean view but make sure that it is as high as you can get. The have "ocean view rooms on t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

2,087 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had a wonderful family holiday here and didn't want to leave. We were able to relax and enjoy the surroundings. The service was excellent and staff were very friendly. Our room had everything we required. There was plenty of things to keep us busy. Our son enjoyed the water slides and kids club. The sunset bar on sunset was lovely with happy hour. We enjoyed playing table tennis and there many other activities available ie; tennis, mini golf, excellent gym with sauna and steam room etc.
There was plenty of restaurants to choose from and prices were reasonable for a 5 star resort.
I was told the boat jetty will be open in the next week or so, so you can take boat direct to island and also do water activities from here, rather than having to get a shuttle to the harbour.

My only complaint is that the hotel is making money out of guests charging extra for the taxis. Taxi from hotel costs MYR30 and only MYR15-20 back to hotel. Other hotels don't do this?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Tanjung Aru Beach witness sunset on beautiful beach side. The breakfast spread provides wide varieties of choice. Comfortable room and bed. Nice bathroom. Chi spa is a must experience when staying here. Near to Terminal 1 Airport.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I really didnt expect to be writing a bad review on this hotel, upon booking I actually thought it was a sure thing this hotel would be amazing because it was a Shangri La. We stayed here over Xmas & new year & had a club mountain view room. We went to check in at the club reception, which went smoothly. Our receptionist then showed us to our room & told us that we could order breakfast to our room for a 'small charge'. This 'small charge' actually turned out to be the full cost of breakfast rather than a tray charge as they have in most hotels (we had booked bed & breakfast so ended up paying for it twice).

The service in the club lounge and pretty much most of the restaurants was terrible. I found almost everyday one of us had to call a waiter over or ask for things a number of times before we received them & I noticed this happening to other guests as well. On one particular evening the service was so bad that a member of staff came over as we were leaving (we hadn't complained) & apologised for the poor service he'd noticed we'd received. This was very nice of him but the service never got any better in the days following.

The restaurants at the hotel-food & drink is extortionate, a glass of Pinot Grigio at Peppino is GBP 22! I'm happy to pay money for good food & wine & neither of us are particularly fussy but the food really wasn't good enough to warrant the prices.

The spa treatments were very good although they completely messed up our appointment so we didn't get the full package we wanted. I really expected a lot more from this hotel especially in terms if service but unfortunately it wasn't up to scratch. The club lounge food/drinks are very good. The rooms & grounds are beautiful & personally I don't think they showed any signs of wear & tear, but I would say the Rasa Ria is much nicer & the service/food outstanding. I really wished we had booked the Rasa Ria instead. I would recommend this hotel to children/families, if you are a couple I would say the Rasa Ria is more suitable there are far too many children at this hotel

• Stayed December 2012
Makati Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

What I loved
- views views views
- General lay out of the resort. Expansive grounds, children's pool and slides, adult pool, private beach, not-so-mini golf.
- Chi spa is out on a beach point as is the Sunset Bar.
- planned activities such as yoga, taichi, cocktail mix, aqua exercises to keep one as busy (or not) as they want to be. Do yoga at the yoga pavilion next to the sea and listen to the waves. Staffed by very friendly and professional employees
- offers something for everyone in the family

What I found ok
- The resort is older - about 30 years old - and it shows some wear and tear
- it's location is less than 2 miles from the airport and around the same distance to the city. You need to take the taxi or their shuttle (for a fee!) to go anywhere. As the shuttle takes you to the other Shangri-la I think shuttle should be complimentary.
- The housekeeping wasn't the best and we found plastic wrapper when we took out the sofa bed (lumpy) for our daughter. Once this was brought to management's attention though, they quickly apologized and rectified it and put an extra bed in place of the sofa bed. Their immediate response and attention given till we checked out puts their service on a class of its own.
- Breakfast buffet was varied but the taste and selection was not up to par in comparison to Shangri-la KL which we stayed in prior to this one. It was also very very busy some mornings resembling a busy canteen.

For improvement:
- "Mountain view" rooms booked turned out to be at the ground floor. It does not show you any mountain. I saw gardens and steel wire fences! Change or omit the description!
- I usually try to book directly with the hotel but couldn't do so due to non availability of the (cheaper) rooms that was offered in Agoda. When I called their world wide reservations to ask about it, they could not give it. Emailed them about it and never heard back.

Overall though I still thoroughly enjoyed the stay and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it especially to families with children. And especially if they have good packages.

• Stayed January 2013
East Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

On arriving at the hotel we were taken personally to book in at reception. We were about to be given our keys when I remembered reading on Trip Advisor someone mentioning how good The Kinabulu Club was. I asked the receptionist about this and with a smile she said of course we could be upgraded. It was the best thing we did. Our room was spacious and had a lovely view. Being able to have our breakfast in the private lounge and enjoying excellent service made our stay very special. I loved the pool and surrounding area. The staff throughout were charming, polite and helpful. I cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: Enquire about the Kinabalu Club and ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

After much research on Trip Advisor I booked a 5 night stay in Tanjung Executive Suite to stay in on our way back from the UK to break the journey!
I am glad we choose this resort over Rasa Ria it is a 5 min journey from the airport and only $30R - Make sure you get your taxi paid for inside the airport :)
The check in to the resort took forever and the room we were allocated was central Room 212 it was overlooking the water slides so NO ocean view here - infact all rooms 200 - 236 avoid if you want a view of the sea - this didn't worry us as we were hardly in the room we were busy in the kids club or in the pool or on the slides.
I would say ask for your room number and location prior to confirming the booking if you are looking for view, I think the rooms in the Tanjung wing are nicer and have better views and seem quieter so if you wish for a quiet sleep book this side.
The room was excellent BUT not made up to the booking but the room staff remedied this by the time we got back from the pools, we stayed with a toddler and a 4YO so needed a bed and cot which fitted well into the lounge allowing my husband and I to have peace at night in our part of the room – worth booking a suite if you can afford it
As part of our booking we were able to access the Kinabla club which allows you to eat breakfast and free drinks during the evening period – we used the breakfast area once as we have noisy children we could not relax and eat breakfast without annoying others, the access to this club would be perfect with kids 8 years and older 
We ate in TATU every other morning and the food available was good BUT very busy! So if you have small kids try and see yourself near the kids buffett down the back of the room you will be away from other guests. The food selection was excellent something for everyone and very well serviced, I spoke to the head chef who was very nice!
We ate lunch at Joe’s most days which was excellent and if you wanted something specific for the kids they would make it for you – nothing was too much for the staff to help you with
We ate dinner as room service every night and this was excellent – Hot and delicious food the Asian foods were the best!

We also visited the other resort which was a huge waste of time and money, Yes it is more grand but the visit was a huge letdown. The rangers were rude unhelpful – led us up the path and then told everyone to be quiet and if you are not quiet then you will be asked to leave, we had 2 small kids and this is an impossible task! We went up and down within 10 mins! I would say don’t bother going costs 65 R per adult plus 10 R per child and 260 R for the Taxi rides there and back! The pool is not as nice and only one slide! I also think the staff are much friendly at Tanjung
Kids club is excellent well run, clean, staff are really helpful friendly and caring
Pools and slides are a HUGE highlight to this resort along with the staff they are excellent
The SPA is also amazing worth a massgae after a long flight
Overall excellent resort – the room location would be the only thing that wasn’t 100% perfect but I would recommend this place to anyone

Room Tip: If you don't want to see the waterslides make sure you don't get room 212 :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!