“Great place for relax while you're still near the city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Zara's Boutique Hotel

Save Saved
You added Zara's Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Zara's Boutique Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Harbour City, Kota Kinabalu | Jalan Pantai Baru, Sembulan,, Kota Kinabalu 88100, Malaysia   |
Ranked #19 of 90 hotels in Kota Kinabalu
“Great place for relax while you're still near the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Staying here for company event. realise its a good place, Good location and suitable for guest that needs parking!

Spacious room and friendly staff

Near Times Square. Place for clubbing or night life. Also near Sutera harbour, where u can hoop for island trip!

• Stayed December 2012

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Tawau, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I will be back! Thats what I said to the lady @the receptionist in October last year. I did come back, just recently-February. Again traveling solo on business. I simply like the ambience/loction. Easy to get food. Clean room & the staffs are very helpful & friendly. Will I be back to stay here again? Definitely...I am coming back again in May.-school holidays. This time with my family.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hanoi, Vietnam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We (3 couples) had many issues during our two separate nights stay at the Zara Hotel. (Mountain climb in between) The first night in the standard double rooms wasn't so bad - problems were noisy electrical circuit box buzzing away all night as well as noisy air conditioner. The main problems were on our return (even after informing the staff we would be back a day later). We arrived around 6:30pm for them to inform us that they had no booking for us. After I showed them the Agoda booking they then went off to 'find' us our two suites (no availablitiy for doubles at booking) as booked weeks before. After a very long day summiting and descending the mountain all we wanted was a warm shower. We had to wait for an hour for our room to be found and then cleaned as well as clean towles to be found from the laundry (7pm!?!). Once in our rooms we were greeted with no warm water and a very sparsely furnished -'suite' room - the double rooms were much better. Our friend's room had a kicked in bathroom door without a handle nor a lock. Both entrance doors on the rooms didn't fit properly and were difficult to open and close. In general this hotel is OK and clean if you just want a place to rest your head, but it's not close to town (taxis take a while when called) nor did it have a secure luggage room. Our friend also had her camera stolen from the lobby area, so be careful with your valuables. The breakfast was served in a next door cafe and it was awful. Skip booking breakfast if you have the choice and eat in town.

Room Tip: Skip the suites, the doubles were better and the breakfast is awful - eat in town
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
ZaraBH, Manager at Zara's Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
First and foremost we would like to take this opportunity to thanked you for staying with us. We sincerely apologize for any shortcomings that you may have encountered due to arriving during the busiest time of the year. Kota Kinabalu has never experienced this magnitude of tourist arrival during the busiest time of the year namely Chinese New Year.
We have guests lining up to check in at our hotel which we efficiently helped to check in and commented that they have not seen such care being taken and how well organized and helpful our staff have been.

To be fair to our front office staff we would like to clarify that there were no incident of disorganization as you have mentioned in your review. In fact prior to your arrival we have several briefings to endure that you arrival will be treated with the highest level of care accorded to all of our guests. We have manager stand by to greet you however there must be some misunderstanding that caused the unpleasant feeling that you might have upon checked in that probably resulting in your critical and negative comment you have left for us.

I would be grateful if you could drop me a personal email for me to have the opportunity to speak with you and understand the whole situation and extend you a sincere apology if we have failed to impress you.

We would like to assure all our valued customer that although we are charging a reasonably low rate as a three star hotel we definitely strive to provide 5 star services within our means to all of our valued guests and we thank you for staying with us.

Kind regards
Patricia Michael
Hotel manager
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

Came with my family and the four of us are very pleasantly surprised by the excellent and quality service provided by the staff.very efficient and prompt in making us feel at home. The family suite we booked comfotably accomodated the 4 of us and I must add, best kept secret in Sabah. The location is near the city and the beaches and I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends :)

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tawau, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Loved it! for its perfect location & ambiance. With ample restaurants to choose from to having/enjoying the mountain (view) from my room. Yes.. you have an option to stay in a room with mountain view or city view. The hotel although not really in the city centre (its within walking distance or 5 mins drive to City center) still is a good choice for those who prefers to be slightly out from the noises. Parking is not a problem, and it's safe. Even without car, you can easily go by with calling in a taxi, just ask the reception lady(ies). The staff are very helpful and always receive/greet customers with unpretentious smile!..very friendly. The room is very clean and WIFI service is good. Thats all I need. Will i stay here again ? or recommend this hotel to friends/family? Answer: definitely. Infact, i have stayed here 3 times - on leisure and business.

Bna.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed with my sisters in the Family Suite for relaxing over the weekend. The room is very clean and my gosh....huge! We can hold a party in there. Lol. The only hotel in Sabah with only female staff. No parking problem and safe to park cars. No worries on food as there are so many restaurants and not forgetting a 7 eleven shop in case you crave for junk food. Within walking distance to Sutera Harbour. Its only 5-7 minutes drive to the city and 10 minutes to the airport. Oh yes, the hotel is new. Will definitely go back to stay there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sabah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Great hotel with great location. Only i was quite surprise to discover tons of empty water bottel inside on of the bottom compartmnt on my room. When i go to bthroom and use the water, it smells like sewage.firstly i tot it was my nose but i opt to take my shower at my friend house since i was goin out..when i got back from outing,the tap water still smell bad..didnt able to complaint bcos no one is picking up my calls..since i so tired, i get myself thru the nite and brush my tooth with water bootle-next morning,i change hotel..the restaurant is definnitly not an option, they only serve you fried beehoon and nasi goreng..plain one!coffee?its like having coffee at mount kinabalu-dont expect them to serve you hot coffee or tea,all you get is warm to cold beverage!..one more thing, their pillow is hard as rock..cheap one?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ZaraBH, Manager at Zara's Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
First and forecast we would like to thank you for your support. I would really appreciate if you kindly email me @ zarasboutiquehotel@yahoo.com with your name and room number and the date of your stay sir/madam, so that I can personally see to it that this matter is being investigated and resolved immediately. So far we have not received any complaints with regards to tap water problem but I will certainly not take this matter lightly should it be proven to be true. We do Apologise for any inconvenience caused. Thank you once again for your comment.

Kind regards,
Patricia Michael

Been to Zara's Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!