“Comfortable Room, Good Location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
SCHOOL HOLIDAY BREAK
Ranked #8 of 93 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Comfortable Room, Good Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The location of this hotel was very good and central, within walking distance to many restaurants and the Sunday market. The hotel was new and the deluxe room was large and comfortable. The king bed/mattress was comfortable. The bathroom was large and had a shower and bathtub. At first we thought there was only warm water, but it just required running the water for a full minute to get it up to a hotter temperature for a shower.

The breakfast was okay, quantity and variety, but not quality. The service at breakfast was good. My disappointments were little charges the hotel had, like charging to bring an ice bucket to the room, and charging for printing an airline boarding pass. The hotel also did not have a full-service tour desk as other upscale hotels in KK, and it took a while for the bellman to get a taxi for us despite being located near a taxi stand. If you don't require a high level of service, this was a comfortable and clean hotel in a very good location. If you require good service, I'd look into another hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Director of Sales at Horizon Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear RoColorado,

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

I am so pleased you enjoyed the location of the hotel. It sounds like you also did some exploring of KK from our location, which is fabulous. Your comments with regards to the ice bucket charge, the taxi, and the printing charges on the boarding pass as well as breakfast variety and quality are noted and will be looked into.

I truly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you to the hotel in the near future.

Natalia Nadirah Saiman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

good location, 1 minute walk to gaya street, 15 minutes walk to suria sabah and 20 minutes walk to ferry terminal.

hotel is new, room is very big and clean, very very very comfortable even though ours is only superior room.

don't expect for early check in or late check out as a lot of tourists stay here ( really a lot!)

breakfast is normal, you might need to wait a bit to be seated as the small restaurant can be very busy in the morning.

gym and pool both are nice. strongly suggest!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear StanUP,

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

Thank you for your very warm and sincere comments, especially on our good location, big room and the cleanliness of our rooms as well as your strongly suggested pool and the gym.

I agree, sometimes our arrival and departure process is a little congested due to the high occupancy, this is an area that we need to look into. Thank you for raising this, with some focus on this area I am confident the next time you visit you will see an improvement.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful breakfast, great location, very nice, helpfull and professional staff. Rooms are a bit smaller and simpler than on the hotel's pictures, but overall it's a great hotel for a good price, and I will use it again once at KK

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Katie M,

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us.

Thank you for your positive feedback on our great location, helpful and professional staff. Your positive feedback will certainly encourage us to continuously seek for improvement.

We look forward to welcome you here again, feel free to contact me personally for your future visit.

Petaling Jaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Decided to give this place a try after considering numerous hotels around the area. Was apprehensive about the room at 1st because i had made a booking via AGODA.com and was worried i would be given a "discounted" room. (one of those rooms you get because no one wants it) But during my check-in,my room was upgraded and was given one with a fantastically spacious balcony area that overlooked the city and sea on the 6th floor. I spent 80% of my time in the room and on the balcony during my 2-night stay there.

Getting around was convenient and easy. The gym was relatively good. I did not try their spa (decided to try a recommended one in town and the masseuse who did me was goooood.)

The only negative thing i could say about my stay was that the swimming pool was miserably small.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Director of Sales at Horizon Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear jaemyc,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. It sounds like you managed to use all of our facilities and explore the city and location.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah and I would be delighted to facilitate any future reservations.

Yours sincerely,
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We have just had a very nice weeks stay in this very comfortable, modern, clean hotel in central location - close to everything we were interested in. Mostly very helpful, pleasant staff.
I feel I should warn future guests, however.

Breakfasts were adequate but taken over by over-indulged, badly behaved Chinese children who seemed to grab food as soon as it came out from the kitchen, regardless of whether they would eat or not. Breakfast restaurant was consequently very messy & dirty most of the time with food scattered over the floor & table tops. (I felt sorry for the staff)! These same children often took over the foyer climbing, walking or lying over all available couches & seats. Staff were disturbed but obviously reluctant to do anything about it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MelbourneHellie,

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience with us. Such information enables us to monitor the application of our service standards while simultaneously allowing us to rectify any shortfalls.

Overall your feedback is very constructive and I have noted the mentions on the breakfast time and something we certainly look into. Thank you for your positive comments on our great location, helpful and pleasant staff, I am sure they will be happy to know about this.

Thank you for taking the time to share, this only gives us an opportunity to improve.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed here several times on my business trips to KK and I love the location - smacked in the middle of town. Minutes walk away from Jalan Gaya where you'll find quaint shops and cafes, another further 2 minutes walk you'll reach Tong Hing Supermart and Suria Sabah Mall - currently the best shopping mall in KK but there's not much on offer here.
The rooms are well designed with strong colours which accentuate the coolth of the distant sea as you look out of the windows. I highly recommend the Grand Deluxe rooms.
Overall very good, but services especially the front desk staff could come with a bit more smile and friendliness.

Room Tip: Grand Deluxe Rooms are great !
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Horizon_Hotel_KK, Director of Sales at Horizon Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear jccchua,
Greetings from Horizon Hotel Kota Kinabalu!

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Your positive feedback on the rooms and the location as well as sharing the tips and recommended room type is highly appreciated. Your sincere comments on our reception staff is highly valued, this will assist us to continuously seek for improvement.

Thank you.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Strategic location. Clean and furniture looks new. Can't complaint on the breakfast. It was replenished in a timely manner. Moderately priced. Wish the front desks staff put on more smiles. Would return to stay in future. However, more and more new hotels are popping up in the vicinity.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Aerden O,
Thank you for choosing Horizon Hotel & Spa Kota Kinabalu Sabah on your recent visit. Your thoughts are important to us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Your comments on our staff's smile is certainly look into.

Natalia Nadirah Saiman

Been to Horizon Hotel? Share your experiences!