“Great place to stay if your a deep sleeper” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rainforest Lodge

Save Saved
You added Rainforest Lodge to your Saves list
Rainforest Lodge
2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Lot 48 Ground Floor & 1st Floor | Jalan Pantai, Kota Kinabalu 88000, Malaysia   |
Mackay
“Great place to stay if your a deep sleeper”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed here after moving from another place due to traffic noise throughout the whole night.
I quite liked this place.. Perfect location, all the staff were soo nice and helpful..
Breakfast could definitely be improved but I only use it for the unlimited coffee in the mornings to help me wake up.
The live band and dj are right outside the rooms so it is loud and but after they stop it's such a quiet place and besides its nice to sit on the balcony and listen to the music!
The room was good.. Housekeeping came everyday and made my bed but they could definitely improve on cleanliness of the bathrooms upon check out. But it definitely wasn't that bad.
I would consider using a different tour operator then the one they use- my guide rushed us, was late to pick us up and it felt like he was quite arrogant.
I will stay here again when I come back to climb mt Kinabalu!

• Stayed January 2013

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I had high hopes as it is located right in the heart of the city but disappointment cames in the truckload upon arrival. My family and I were booked into a dorm but we had a room to ourselves as there's no other travelers. The way to our room was almost like a maze and it smelt of urine and garbage in all the hallways! The room itself was clean with air-con but definitely not sound proof! Not even ear plugs could give us a peace of mind or good sleep for that matter till the karaoke downstairs stopped operating in the wee hours of the morning! Bathroom was run-down and just barely functioning and usable. Would not return for another stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have mixed thoughts about this place. I stayed in one of the 3 bunk bed dorm rooms on the 2nd floor. The room was clean and had A/C. The bathrooms weren't so clean and our room was close to the garbage room (or something) cuz it smelled like rotting durian and meat - disgusting!! It's attached to a bar that had a karaoke and dj night going on, so it was loud until early a.m. But a good location if you want to be close to some nightlife.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Mora
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

For the price, the lodge is OK. Breakfast is about the most basic you can find but the coffee is OK and unlimited. Great balcony but I wish the balcony would be smaller and the room bigger :)
Not very clean or nice and could do with a bit of paint. One morning there was a mushroom growing out of the carpet, I will post that one as it is a first for me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I read about the noise and bathroom issues before booking. I foolishly thought, "I can handle it, its cheap and I won't really mind. I've probably stayed in worse places." Well, I never got to test that theory b/c after a 20 minute fiasco trying to check-in with a reservation (they had my name, but weren't sure they had any rooms open, had no idea how to run my credit card, etc etc...ultimately we agreed since i was staying three nights we'd try to pay again in the morning), I saw my room and stormed out looking for a new place to stay.

Armed with a room key and an A/C remote, my friend and I walked up the stairs from reception, across the outdoor seating area to our room on the left where we found the door ajar - no room key necessary. The first thing that hits us is the FOUL smell...have we stumbled on a dead body? Our eyes focus and we see cats, lots of them, gnawing on bones on the stained, sheetless mattress, on the floor and on the balcony. Lots of cats. They were apparently eating what remained of the previous tenant. The rest was like someone purposefully tried to recreate a bad horror movie...unsecured wires hanging out of the wall, a photoless frame hanging askew above the bed, a phone w/ cord but no receiver, a pile of crumbled conrete? plaster? in the middle of the room, stains on the wall, floor and bed. The door to the balcony we'd been "lucky" enough to get was wide open and did not appear to close properly. It opened out onto aluminum rooftops that the cats disappeared into when we entered the room. I stood in shock for a solid two minutes (my friend entered the bathroom, I was not that brave) before turning on my heel and walking back downstairs. I dropped the key and remote on the desk while saying "this is absolutely not going to work out, are you kidding me?" without coming to a complete stop. Ten minutes later we were at the Gaya Centre Hotel reserving their last room. My only regret was not braving the stench long enough to have the forethought for pictures.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Camping with headhunters is a better option.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

At first glance the rooms seem okay and the location is good. However, cleanliness and quietness are simply not applying to this hotel.
A very noisy karaoke disco bar makes it impossible to sleep until 12h30 am (and we like to travel as much as having rest at night). The second pre-booked night we changed room to a interior without window. This improved our situation a bit but still we coudl hear everyone stepping up and down the stairs.
The rooms are not new and have a dusty appearance. We saw a mouse today.
Air conditionning works well but many light bulbs and lamps did not work.
Staff is helpfull and kind, but it remains with us a helpless feeling, as it does not seem a much customer oriented hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Staff is nice helpfull and willing to negotiate a good price! The place is nice looking, rooms are good, and everything is as good as it gets in Asia!
If you want a quiet place to stay, please go to a rural area. The centre of KK night life is obviously not for you...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Rainforest Lodge? Share your experiences!