“Excellent hotel and service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1 City Hotel

You added 1 City Hotel to your Saves list
1 City Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Lot 1, Block B, Ground Floor | Segama Complex, Kota Kinabalu 88000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #21 of 97 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Ghent, Belgium
“Excellent hotel and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed at the hotel in april 2013 for more than a week: excellent hotel, clean, unexpensive rooms and very friendly staff, especially the welcoming smiles of the 3 ladies Fetty, Diana and Sandra.
From your greatest belgian fans: Kim, Ilja and Mr. Sami.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed at the 1 City Hotel for four nights in March 2013.

I arrived late at night at KKIA, and I was a bit apprehensive about a taxi as the hotel is fairly small and I feared it might not be well know. No bother though. The taxi voucher lady quickly recognized it and I purchased the voucher for RM30, fixed price.

The location of the hotel is good. It's in a central area close to most of the main shopping centres and restaurants. There is no breakfast at the hotel, so three times I went to the Old Town coffee shop which was about 5 mins walk away. Also it was very close to the starting point of a scuba diving excursion that I took (which was excellent, Divedown Below).

I opted for a Superior King room. The room was on the first floor. The decor and fittings of the room were adequate, and the bathroom was quite good. Housekeeping and cleanliness were average. My main complaint was that the building next door was under renovation, and drilling started at about 8am every day. It didn't matter too much to me because I was waking up that early anyways. Although this is not within the hotel's control I can see how someone would be seriously annoyed by this as the room was literally shaking once the drilling and banging started.

The staff at the hotel are friendly, the fluency of English spoken varies considerably. However I never had a problem.

Overall, I had a good experience, but the construction noise was quite bothersome. I might want to confirm that this was complete before staying again. But otherwise it was a good value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Mukah, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel, I booked it at the last minute and had low expectations, I just needed somewhere to stay before catching a flight.

The hotel turned out to be very good. It's in a brilliant location, close to the waterfront and one of the main shopping center, perfect if you are coming to kk for that purpose. The room was small but had more than I was expecting, a really good shower and bathroom and good aircon. The staff were friendly and very helpful.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
British Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

In the center of the city, easy walking distance to Gaya Street, the waterfront, shopping and eating. Some maintenance work would make the appearance better; paint, resticking peeled wallpaper, reattach bathroom shelving that was falling off the wall, all minor things. The Queen room was pretty tight, we upgraded to a king and had space for our luggage. The price is definitely right. No mini fridge in the rooms, but the friendly staff stored our beer in theirs. Cleaning crew was a little spotty, our toilet remained unclean for several days, they did however change the linens regularly. More modern than other rooms we looked at other hotels in similar price range.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My husband booked this hotel for Feb 9th to Feb 13th this year but due to personal reasons, our trip was cancelled. When asked for refunds, there was none due to their policy. But it was fair enough that we were given a year of open voucher,which meant that we still could replan our holiday. And we thought it was great. Just by last week, we managed to spend a week in the hotel with great services. We were especially happy with the holiday spots which they had arranged for us. Wonderful trip!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Customer Service, specifically Diana is heartless and unsympathetic. I booked on December 20,2012 for a June 18,2013 booking. Unfortunately, Air Asia announced that effectively February 1,2013 they were cancelling the Clark-Kota Kinabalu (and vice versa) route. Meaning no more flights going there.
Now, I got this trip as this was in super promo and I don't have money. It is hard for me to fly with any other carrier to go there and pay the regular rate.
I emailed Diana numerously letter her know of the cancellation of the airline for the route as no more planes would fly there. I requested a refund for my booking as it's not like I intentionally and erroneously just changed my mind. I was actually very devastated and stressed with this situation.
Anyways, her reply was I cannot give you a refund as their hotel has a no refund policy. "we are giving an option to change the date check-in and check out for our valued guest, or changing the name of person staying in your reservation".
WTF! Change the date of my check in? I can't fly there anymore! Give the room to somebody else? I don't have money to just give away to somebody else. And come on, this was booked on December for June 18. Why can't they just cancel the booking and give the room to somebody else? Is business so bad that that they can't re-book that one room (in June)? Are they so uptight on that rule even though it was booked 6 months ago (not a week ago!) and be compassionate and understanding and just give the refund considering the situation that was forced upon us? HAVE SOME SYMPATHY!

Room Tip: Customer Service, specifically Diana is hearless and unsympathetic. I booked on December 20,2012...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights and found it to be an excellent budget hotel and a wonderful luxury after backpackers guesthouses! We booked a standard room with a king size bed and the room was a good size with a great bathroom.

The location was excellent with both Jessleton Pier and Centre Point within walking distance - no taxis needed at all! After reading some of the reviews on here I expected the hotel to be in a dark alley but it is nothing like that - it is not the cleanest street in KK but it is really not that bad and is completely safe.

The rooms themselves were immaculate and cleaned daily. Bathroom had a lovely powerful shower - unfortunately it ran cold a few times during our stay but it was so hot outside we did not complain. Safety deposit boxes were provided in the rooms. One negative point was that the walls are quite thin and other guests were not particularly considerate and made lots of noise in the corridors while entering and leaving their rooms - fault lies more with rude and inconsiderate guests rather than hotel owners.

Staff were very friendly and helped us with booking our bus to Sandakan and any other queries we had. We had a lovely stay and highly recommend it to anyone looking for budget accommodation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple