“Poor cleanliness” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Megah D'Aru Hotel

You added Megah D'Aru Hotel to your Saves list
Megah D'Aru Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Jalan Kinabalu | Tanjung Aru, Kota Kinabalu 88100, Malaysia   |
Ranked #34 of 97 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia
“Poor cleanliness”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I had to spend 3 nights there. The staffs are friendly, but the cleanliness needs lots of improvement! I found hairs underneath the pillow cover and bed sheet, ants everywhere, on the wall, on the table and floor. The exhaust fan in the bathroom covered in dust! Most terrible thing is, smoke smell stink up the whole room! I know it’s abnormal to have power failure in a hotel, but I got it twice on the same night (27 March 2014) in this hotel! Not recommended for traveler who need quiet and quality sleep. The hotel room is big, soft bed, but poor sound proof.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Arranged a pickup by e-mail--if you're booking through Agoda, you have to do this, since they won't have your flight details. The trip to the airport is only five to ten minutes.

The rooms were spacious and clean, although you can tell they have a high guest turnover rate. I saw the guests in the room next door change three times during my stay, which was interesting, but a little icky to think about! The sheets had some stains from previous guests (nothing nasty, get your mind out of the gutter), but everything was clean.

The beds were very comfortable--hotels in KK seem to have very comfortable beds. :) Even the planes flying overhead didn't wake me up, but it's something to consider if you're a light sleeper. The planes fly right over the hotel!

No in room WiFi, so people hang out in the lobby a lot. Lots of mosquitos fly into the hotel from the water under the stilted village across from Sutera Harbor Resort (a few minutes away), so be prepared. I got a fair number of bites in the lobby. There are also tiny ants everywhere, including in the rooms, but no biggie. Remember, you're just outside the jungle. Bugs are par for course!

Breakfast was cold by 8:30 am and I got meat that was off in the noodles that were served on my last day. I'd suggest sticking to the eggs and toast and drinking the mediocre coffee--just enough to get you out of the door!

The hotel staff here were pretty friendly. Interestingly they play their music/watch videos into the night while working the desk, which I found surprising. I guess that's one way to stay awake! The muzak at the hotel is a local English radio station and I heard great 80s music all day. Very enjoyable, and I had to laugh at some of the selections!

I suggest picking up a SIM card for your cell phone that also provides 3G internet. I got a one-month internet SIM that was supposed to be limited to 1 GB, but I know I used more data than that!

There are about a dozen eateries all around the hotel with good, cheap food. I wish I was there now because I had so much fun trying everything! The food is good and cheap throughout Malaysia.

There's a good laundromat called Lucky Laundry right near the hotel (if you walk out the main entrance), turn right, then right again, and walk up the street). Run by a flamboyant gay guy who often has his BFF (her words, not mine) hanging out with him, both of them speak excellent English and were lovely. My laundry was done perfectly and nicely folded, and it was very reasonably priced too!

There's a cab stand across from the church near the hotel--I paid RM 15 into the city from there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Miri, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Overall is good enough for me, however, the breakfast is terrible. As we have our breakfast at 8 in the morning, imaging we are consider as an early bird to have our breakfast, most of the meals to serve are finish up and no one would refill. I claim some butter for bread at restaurant counter, I swear there are still some in the refrigerator, and the waiter told me it's finish with bad attitude. Hope this can be improve.

The room not bad and quite comfortable, & very clean to stay. No wifi provided.
The lady at reception is very friendly and very pretty :) You can request taxi from the counter. It not far from the airport (Terminal 1 & Terminal 2), it takes 5-10 minutes to arrive airport, they serve free pick up service to the airport.

This place took 10 minutes to Suria Shopping Mall and taxi cost me RM 25.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are fairly spacious and very clean and it's right next to the airport and Tanjung Aru beach. The only downsides are the dreadful breakfast and the fact te wifi only works in the lobby downstairs - despite the Agoda listing clearly stating "wifi in room".

• Stayed July 2013
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

The rooms here are not bad. It is relatively spacious and clean and quite comfortable. This place is near to the airport and not too far from the beach so not a bad location to be.

There is no wifi working across the building depite the fact that they advertise in room wifi and it is only abailable in the lobby despite the fact that they have active routers on every floor, which is frustrating - not having wifi available everywhere in 2013 is pretty inexcusable especially when they advertise it.

The worst part about the place is the breakfast - ordered boiled eggs which were served warm but completely raw, tea and coffee was stewed and undrinkable and the toast was cold and stale...

Also the room next to us ordered room service and put their plates outside the room at around lunchtime with half eaten food (must have been as good as the breakfast) - the plates were still there smelling and attracting flies the next day at 11am - nearly 24 hours later. They just need to take more care over the basics.

• Stayed July 2013
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed here with a large tour group and I can't fault the service provided by the very friendly staff at the hotel. The Rooms were clean and the hotel is conveniently located 5 minutes from the airport. As a result, the hotel can be noisy as it must be in the flight path! I even managed to squeeze in a late night massage at the spa in the hotel after our tour group performed at a concert. The spa was open until 11pm. The breakfast was pretty average as there was no fresh fruit although it was cooked fresh. However, thumbs up to this friendly, convenient hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We arrived about 9pm and the airport pickup was waiting for us at the exit. It was only a 10 minute drive to the hotel and check in was prompt. Our room was on the 4th floor and pretty decent for the great price. Room enough with a TV, A/C and simple ensuite bathroom. Water pressure in the shower was good and water hot, although there was no shampoo. There were a few small stains on the bedsheets, but nothing too grubby. We noticed some room service food next door had not been cleared and it remained there until the next morning... We took a night time stroll around the neighborhood which features some cheap local restaurants and a convenience store where we bought an adapter and some drinks. In the morning we woke up with a view towards the sea. Check out was very quick since we had prepaid online.

We arrived 15 minutes early for the shuttle, but unfortunately a large group had booked before us and we had to wait for them to go and come back. Eventually we left 10 minutes later than booked, but we had plenty of time at the airport. We were even offered breakfast although it was not included in our rate. We declined since we weren't hungry. Overall it was much better than we had imagined for the price especially considering the free round trip airport shuttle vs. taxi cost. Definitely recommend if you need an airport hotel.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views.