“Unless u don't mind roughing it, don't stay here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Promenade Hotel Apartments

Save Saved
You added Promenade Hotel Apartments to your Saves list
Promenade Hotel Apartments
2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   3-G-17, Lorong Api-Api 2, Api-Api Centre, Kota Kinabalu 88000, Malaysia   |
Egypt
“Unless u don't mind roughing it, don't stay here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

If you know what to expect before you arrive in accommodation it's often easier. Well, this place's location has been perfectly explained above. I didn't feel safe at first, what with all the signs around and the security, but i changed rooms so felt safer afterwards. The whole set of buildings comprising Promenade Hotel Apartments looks like it wants rubbing out and re-drawing again. The rooms are basic, very basic, tatty, opened in 1986 i believe and not decorated since. They supply nice bath towels but no hand towels for some reason. I couldnt get internet here so had to buy my own. If you want to use the swimming pool and/or gym it's not actually here, it's in the Promenade Hotel. I had to call maintenance out just about every day for one thing or another but at least they came. There is only a shower, some rooms have a bath, but the bath taps don't function with hot water, in fact, some rooms bath's don't have taps. U operate the shower by using a small tap on the boiler, which was a tad scary for me due to the fact u operate it with wet hands. But, the staff are very kind and i am having a wonderful time in this stunningly beautiful country. Good luck.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

This place was a big step up from backpackers at a similar price. I was on a tight budget. both reviews are correct it just depends what you are looking for. The rooms were very clean and this was the only hotel I stayed in Borneo where the sheets were changed every day. The beds were comfortable. We had a hot shower, although by no means luxury but all in all it was a great base as we were out and about every day. It was only a base to shower and sleep. I spent a lot of time on my own and once I had been in and out of the complex 1 or 2 times, I actually felt quiet safe with the security there. It was cheap, central and clean if your looking for class you will have to pay. I prefer to spend my money on eating out and my tours. I would definately stay here again for the price. I enjoy my privacy so am not keen on backpackers, this was perfect

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
london - uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

We booked the promenade apartments for 1 night only inbetween some flights. We arrived and its the big green building across the road from the Promenade Hotel. When you turn up it looks more like apartments which people permanantly live in - which I think most of the are.

Check in was ok, but the apartment block wasn't. You walk over to the lifts and there is a security man outside each lift area on the ground floor - this made us feel slightly wary. Then there are signs on the lifts saying , if you notice people loitering please tell security - which made the uneasy feeling even worse.

We got off at our floor and most of the rooms have bars over the doors, and its quite dark and dingy and doesnt feel very safe. We where not happy with it at all.

But once we got through the door it was better. The room was actually okey and we slept really well. But saying that the view was just of other rooms, and the bathroom was not nice - the shower didnt look like it would do much.

We wouldnt stay here again, Im sure you can find better hotels in KK at a similar price. The room it self was ok but I felt very uneasy walking to and from the room

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

Hi we stayed here (partner and teenage son) in March 09. We arrived at the Promenade hotel (knowing that the Promenade hotel apartments was not far away and affiliated to the Hotel. We walked over to the aprtments and checked in with reception and directed to our room. It was in a shabby aprtment block (one of three?) inside a small shopping area (mostly cheap cafes, internet shop, laundry shop etc. There was a security guard outside each block who let us in with a pass card and a there was a (smelly) lift up to our room. The blocks have (as far as I could tell) mostly residents living there with a few apartments with tourists staying. The block is very shabby, dirty, and smelly..... wondering what we had let ourselves in for we opened the door of our apartment to be pleasantly surprised, the apartment was large, very clean, with a small sitting area, 2 king size beds (with crisp white sheets... always a plus in my books!), large, clean shower, plenty of towels..changed daily. Tea and coffee making facilities and fridge. We had use of the Marina apartments pool and gym etc. This was about 5 mins walk away and next to the Promenade Hotel. We had to get a voucher from promenade apartments reception to show on entry to the pool ...but to be honest no one ever asked to see the voucher. The pool was great and only ever a few people in it, again the marino apartments seemd to be mostly residents staying there rather than tourists.
The Promenade aprtments were very good value (AU$250 for 4 nights) and the reception staff friendly and helpful with requests. It's only let down by the aprtment block but if you can get past that its pretty central to good eating places and about 15 mins walk to the ferry terminal for the boats out to the islands and amazing snorkelling.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Promenade Hotel Apartments? Share your experiences!