“A bad experience in this hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Summer Lodge

You added Summer Lodge to your Saves list
Summer Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2nd, 3rd & 4th Floor, Lot 120, Kota Kinabalu 88000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #88 of 93 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Chicago, Illinois
“A bad experience in this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

I had a wonderful vacation in Malaysia in this winter break. However, I also had a bad experience with Hotel Summer Lodge where ins in Lot 120 Jalan Gaya, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia Borneo.I have been to Malaysia twice, when I meet women in Malaysia I always show respect to them because I really like their humble and shy face with unique and beautiful headscarf ( tudung).each time I see them , they all smile, that make me smile also. I keep the good memory until my last day in Sabah.
My friend came with me to visit Sabah from Jan.1.2012 to Jan.04,2012, and she was from China and I was from America. Before we go, I contact with Summer Lodge and booked a room without air-condition as my friend couldn’t use air-condition. But when we got there we were told we had to update a room which has air-conditioned because they couldn’t find a fan for us. At the last morning we checked out and waited for taxi to bring us to airport. Half an hour passed and we still waited. I went to the front desk to ask if I could make a call with their telephone. A worker who is a Muslin girl with a white headscarf told me that their telephone could not make a call outside as it is only for use by the office. Later I asked them again, the girl said that I should talk with her boss. I said, “Sure, I can talk with your boss. Where is your boss?” she answered me that she didn’t know. I thought maybe I could find her boss using information from their website, so I went to the computer and tried to go to the internet. But the girl stopped the internet connection in the hotel. And I could not do it. Another half hour passed, and I talked with her again, this time she told me that I could call by using this hotel telephone but I should pay a high price. Unbelievable, she was cheating us all morning. This telephone can make phone call to outside. I asked her why she lied to us, then she was shameless to yell with us.
I never thought a young girl could have an evil heart. Maybe someone hurt her feeling before so she hates us? Hopefully, she will adjust her mentality and no longer lie because she was young and have a long life way. She destroyed our good impression with both Sabah and Muslim women.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Penang Island, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Summer lodge is owned by summer tours. they are lame O. their packages are over priced and the service is some of the worst i HAVE EVER HAD!! watch out for Stephanie she is a liar and will promise otherwise. when I booked a trip to climb the mt. the permit at teh park head Quarters was not even started. I guess she forgot to call. but we were upgraded, right? oh only because the sutera people felt bad for us as they had no idea we were coming.. but stephanie highlighted she was adding the upgrade free.
As for the lodge it is noisy and no window rooms with up to 6 beds if you want to smell something you never had before stay here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Planet Earth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

Warnings from other reviewers about bed bugs proved to be true!
Stayed 2 nights and bed bugs feasted on us to their hearts content.

Room was dirty and staff were indifferent and lacked initiative.
It seems like they don't really clean the rooms after previous guests have left!!!
I had asked to see the supposedly clean room before checking in - upon inspection toilet seat had lots of pubic hair on it so I asked them to clean it again!!!
After check in, we noticed a mound of fingernail clippings in one corner of the room - so disgusting.
Pillows were stinky and for the entire duration of our stay (3D 2N), our room was never cleaned - despite several requests made to the staff.

The rooms come with forgettable free breakfasts - toast, butter, jam, beans, juice and tea/coffee. Free wi-fi access is touted - but signals are weak in rooms. There are 3 computer terminals in the lounge that guests can use though.

Please avoid this guesthouse at all costs!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

There are signs all over the hostel warning the guests about bed bugs, however they are doing nothing to counteract the problem. I stayed here for 3 days before climbing mount kinabalu, just to realize I had contracted LICE from the hostel. When we went back to inform them, they acted like there was a language barrier that had not been a problem before. This was the most horrible experience as it took 17 hours to remove all the lice and nits and cost me 500 dollars to have all my clothing etc drycleaned. I would not reccommend staying here, since there signs about bugs are true! Discusting!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
New York City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

I can't believe this crummy hostel was recommended by Rough Guide. It was HORRIBLY infested with bedbugs when I arrived. I was walking to my room and there were signs everywhere asking us to inform the hotel if we see any bedbugs. When I got to my room, the hallway was FILLED with old mattresses. These mattresses were covered with bedbug feces, blood and carcasses. Um...they needed to be removed IMMEDIATELY! The room I was supposed to be in had no windows, no room to walk as the rickety, metal bunk beds were crammed so tightly together, and it had one tiny lightbulb on the ceiling. It felt like a prison cell.

I immediately went back to the front desk and told them I would not be staying after all because of their infestation. They refused to refund my money because I didn't have my check-in form. I had checked in 5 minutes beforehand!! I'm an idiot for misplacing it, but still--give a girl a break. Finally I left and checked into another hostel (Akinabalu Youth Hostel--awesome!) and found my check-in form when I was unpacking. I returned to Summer Lodge and they finally refunded my money with much sighing and eye-rolling.

I know it's not the hostel's fault that they are infested, but they didn't seem to be doing much about it, the rooms were disgraceful, the the staff was unapologetically unhelpful. They should close down for a period, completely eradicate the bedbugs, and reopen. They are only spreading the problem!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

There were plenty of bars and restaurants downstairs from the hostel. The ocean and seaside markets were all within walking distance.

Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Wellington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

There are notices up re bedbugs but with one 1 sheet for the bed that does not even fit I do not see the owners making an effort to keep this under control.

The location is very central but unless you ask for a back room you will be awake with loud music all night.
Be very careful when making payment in advance for any tours booked through teh lodge etc Suggest use Pay Pal only. We spen hours of our 3 days recovering a large overcharge. Owner did not seem to care to much

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Summer Lodge? Share your experiences!