“bad and good about this hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Borneo Hotel

You added Grand Borneo Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Borneo Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   TA-00-01, 1 Borneo Hypermall | Jalan UMS, Kota Kinabalu 88450, Malaysia   |
Ranked #40 of 93 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Langkawi, Malaysia
“bad and good about this hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

the cleanliness of the room is bad .. i stay for 2 night for business meeting.. i was checked in in level 5 on 20 may .. and i was very shock to see room is so dusty and smell something terrible the supervisor in the housekeeping doesnt check the room properly.. front office staff friendly.. food was not very good can be improve again later... far away from kk.. shopping mall was just nice... really hope got improvement for my second visit in jun

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a suite facing the main road and used the function room for seminar. The room is excellent equipped with most of our needs and comfortable enough for a short stay. Soul Cafe is okay except during peak meal times can be crowded and dishes not replenished fast enough though staffs were working hard. Buffet is okay typical of local menus. Seminar facilities are okay too with technical staffs give good support services. For those travelling by cars, parking facility is not provided by the hotel but multistorey car park is available next door and this is quite inconvenient as one had to drag our luggaged for quite a distance. The best thing about this hotel is that it is situated within a large complex housing the largest shopping mall in Kota Kinabalu(KK) banks, food outlets and entertainment premises. KK is about 15 kilometers away. Room views are good from all sides with mountain ranges in the distance and even KK's skyline is visible on clear days.

• Stayed May 2013
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I took the grand deluxe suite (best room) in this hotel. It was disappointing, after a room move and a decision to focus on an excellent trip I decided not to change hotel. A bonus is the bar and mall attached in 1 Borneo Mall. I loved Malaysian Borneo and wasn't going to waste time with the hotel when I could be white water rafting with www.http://rainforestour.com/en/news/cat-262 I decided on rafting!!!

The hotel is so-so. I took their best room and it was not great. I'd be fuming if I had a lesser room.

Issue - External noise from the road at night. On 15th floor could hear the boy racer exhausts through the single glazed windows. Thought window was open. Solution (after moving to 16th floor didn't help) leave on the toilet fan extractor - white noise worked

Issue - The faucet on the 15th & 16th Floor bath leaked onto the floor. Lots of towels needed to enjoy a bath. Informed hotel and issue ignored

Issue - General security. Hotel is attached to mall (1 Borneo) and you can travel from the mall to any floor in the hotel unchallenged, and in hotel room doors that do not close properly unless forced.....

Issue - No wifi in suite, nor is there a wifi module you can hire. Solution go into the mall and get a Celcom sim for phone and use 3G.

Issue - Stains and hairs in bed on arrival. Solution informed housekeeping and standard was consistent and impeccable afterwards

Minot issue - TV signal was analogue and looked like it was coming through rabbit ears. Not a problem. Just a note

Positive! - Location. Great food, drink, general and specialised stores in the Mall. Also an off-licence and a bar. Cannot fault it

Positive! - The people were great

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I booked this hotel and paid cash for a night as deposit, I booked 2 nights while there was a travel fair in our country.

We stayed in another hotel for a 2 days vacation 1st then only to Grand Borneo. While we were in KK for our 1st day vacation, received a called from this hotel and they happened to overbooked for the hotel rooms and would like to arranged and transfer me to another hotel nearby. I rejected as I know the hotel they will transfer me to is not worth what I had paid for. They promise giving me a bigger room with Grand Borneo Buffet Dinner and welcome fruit basket. Discussed with my husband and he agree, so we deal.

When we reached the hotel, only realized there's lots of mainland tourists were "waiting" to view the room, if they satisfied, they will stayed there. So, this hotel wants mainland customers instead of us, nearby country customers to stayed in their hotel. This is so called Overbooked.
After I had paid for the outstanding balance, they brought us to the nearby hotel and that's start of our nightmare.

The room was small, smelly & flies inside. After complaint, they transfer us to another small smelly room but at least no flies. We complaint to Grand Borneo on the same day and the next morning then this nearby hotel transfer us to a bigger room. We have to paid for the late check out charges by ourselves even Grand Borneo wasted so much time and collected so much money from us. The buffet dinner got not much choices. The desserts were leftover from the afternoon buffet. It's really a very disappointed & unpleasant trip!

Grand Borneo, for your information, the fruit basket were bad! You are wasted my roaming charges too!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel, it was very clean and very modern. You should ensure that it is the right location to suit your needs. If you are wanting a hotel near to the city or airport, this is not the right place for you. I found it ok as I was here on business and could charge the taxi rides to the city to my company. As for food, the Borneo Hypermall which the city is connected to is excellent - all you could ever want for dinner is in the mall.

I also booked an amazing long-nosed monkey tour with the lady at the tour desk of the hotel...highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
RTP, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Decent hotel, it's attached to a mall so it's good to shop and eat. My room included breakfast and the first day I went it was terrible. Food was cold and even though it was early it looked liked it was made the night before. I tried getting an omelette but after 10 min of waiting in line I gave up had juice and left. There is a Starbucks and McDonalds in the mall that is open. The rooms are ok nothing special. The hotel is very far from the main city and traffic is sometimes heavy since there is only 1 main road. Took us 20-30 min to downtown for dinner. Customer service was good the staff was very nice.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is a mid range place out of town by the One Borneo Hypermall. A poor location if you're just in town to wait for a flight. But the mall does have lots of shops, restaurants etc. The hotel is fine. room, fine. service fine. pretty much get what you pay for here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Grand Borneo Hotel? Share your experiences!