“Cheap prison-like accommodation” 2 of 5 stars

Akinabalu Youth Hostel
1st Floor, No. 133 Jalan Gaya, Kota Kinabalu 88000, Malaysia   |
“Cheap prison-like accommodation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012 via mobile

This place was recommended to me by two of my friends. Unfortunately I have to disagree with them; the place was mediocre at best.

The private rooms with their 'all concrete' looks and creaky beds mostly resemble prison cells. Wifi is very poor/unusable in the rooms, toilets are messy and street noise penetrates the room walls very effectively. The niceness/helpfulness of the staff was average.

On the good side the location is pretty good, common space was roomy & comfortable and the price wasn't bad. Wouldn't still recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2012

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Akinabalu was recommended to me by a good friend of mine. It has a good location at one end of Gaya Street for the weekend market and local sights, although its location backing onto a main road does make it pretty noisy. That seems to be a standard for KK hostels though. The common area is great - airy, spacious and sociable. Breakfast includes the mandatory cheap toast but also noodles for the bread-weary; a nice touch.

I'm not a big fan of rooms without exterior windows so some of the internal rooms weren't very appealing to me.

The biggest complaint from me was the way that staff dealt with the bed bugs that made themselves known in my bed. I went to the pharmacy when a rash of itchy bites appeared all over my shoulders, ankles and back on day one. They confirmed that it was most likely bed bugs, which I fed straight back to the hostel staff who were reluctant to move me to a new bed ('we're full') or even give me clean sheets. Another lady on the later shift told me she was 'very ashamed', but it didn't spur her into any real action. It transpired that every person who had slept in that bad over the course of a week or more had complained about being bitten, but nothing had been done. Displeased.

A complimentary night would be nice, no? Think again. What about removing everyone from the room and dealing with the problem swiftly and comprehensively? Not on your nelly. Laundering and tumble drying my clothes to prevent me carry the beasties with me? Wishful thinking.

I had to wash the entire contents myself, a couple of loads of laundry and I still fear I just saw a rogue crawling out of a pair of tumble-dried trousers, not to mention the fact that I couldn't sleep for the intense itching for several nights and have had to stock up on piles of antihistamines.

Skin discomfort some two weeks later, while not wholly the hostel's fault, stops me from recommending the place to friends.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Superb location with Sunday morning market as close as foot step. However, shared toilet and bathroom facilities should be frequently looked after and well maintained. Good value for money though..

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

While I was in KK me and a friend stayed here for 4 nights. Great location, cheap rates, great atmosphere, free computer use, clean rooms, 24 hr concession (4MR beers), lounge chairs. The staff were very helpful and knowledgeable about the city and Borneo Island. I met some new friends and have some great memories to take with me on my next adventure.

Thanks Akinabalu!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I stayed here only one night on my way from Mt.Kinabulu. For 56 ringit I got a private room (even though it had 4 beds) was nice of the hotel to give me a private room which would usually probably costs 80 RM (for 4 people).

Staff friendly enough, also 2 computers free to use whcih is nice (and usually available + standard free WIFI). Free breakfast, as always, consisted of a disappointing white toast + Nescafe (I prefer to pay 3RM for a Nasi Lemak + Kopi Tarik... but then again I am a yuppie).

So why only 3 stars? The location is very central, however, not ideal, as it sits between Jalan Gaya and the main arterial road of KK, which gets ALOT of traffic (by KK standards). So there is a fair bit of traffic noise. If you are on the Jln Gaya side it is quieter, however, I was woken up by a whole troup of high pitched birds at 3:30am (they were very loud and I suspect that they are resident on the nature strip outside every day - but I cannot confirm as I was there only 1 night). I shoved my ear plugs in, and turned the ceiling fan only cyclone setting to try and drown out the noise and slept ok after that. But sleep was a bit uneasy, and to me this is the cornerstone of a good hostel.

My recommendation if you are a light skeeper would be to take a guesthouse on the quiet and chilled out Australia place (there are 3 there). But like I said, a nice, well priced place aside from the sleep.

Room Tip: Away from the main road!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
xi'an
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

i stayed in this hostel for 6days and 5days in dorm beds &1night in private room ( for 4 person). i recommend this hostel to you all, specially for the low budget ,such as me...
it's with great location, in gaya street , by the way. and the hostel is very clean and MOST staff are very kind. you also can get the useful info from them once you required.
anyway, it's a great place.

Room Tip: booked as earlier as you can, if you don't mind, i think the upper dorms are much better.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Having originally booked into the awful Tropicana Lodge, we were delighted to find this clean and spacious hostel, so obviously the best in KK. Great rooms with fan were good price. Wifi and internet, great local information, free noodles for breakfast, tea & coffee. Staff were fantastic and common room was great place to escape the heat and the rain. Great for a chill out, many thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: 3rd floor fan rooms are good option as i cheaper and away from road noise. **Try to stay at shop...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Akinabalu Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!