“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo

Save Saved
You added Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo to your Saves list
Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   TB-00-01, 1Borneo Hypermall, Jalan UMS, Kota Kinabalu 88450, Malaysia   |
Special Rate
School Holiday Special
Ranked #23 of 92 hotels in Kota Kinabalu
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Great hotel located right in the largest mall in Kota Kinabalu Sabah, is convenient & also there is a cinema here. Comfortable stay & good service provided by workers here. Friendly & helpful workers everywhere. The Square restaurant food is good and good environment. What else, the relaxing bar in level 1 & awesome swimming pool in level 7. Surely would suggest my friends, family & relatives to stay here. I will be back. Truely a happy stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

734 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. When we arrived at the hotel we queued in the lobby for 3/4 of an hour to check in. The room was big ,but lacked shelves, we were on the top floor and heard banging at all times of the day and night. Apparently it was the wind rattling the pipes! The hairdryer wasn't working, and we had a problem with ants in our room. At first I thought it may have been from a packet of raisins we had so I threw it out but the ants were there throughout our stay. Staff were friendly and accommodating but hotel is run down. Location is good if you like shopping with the hypermall attached to the hotel. We ate at the restaurant once, which was equally disappointing. My husband sent his lasagne back because it was cold and I sent my burger back because the patty was raw and that was after waiting an hour for our food!!! and the restaurant was empty! So we didn't eat there again. Disappointing except for the shopping.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the top floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

This hotel used to be excellent in its customer service but recent trip last August was very very disappointing. The rooms were not maintained and refurbishment are long overdue. We didn't get the exact room as selected from booking.com, staffs are untrained, the restaurant for breakfast was poor in terms of service, selection, quality and cleanliness.

But the location is still great. The GM tried to salvage the problem but still short of fell way down the tree so to speak. We thought international chain hotel would have a good standard but this is an exceptional to the general rules.

Sincerely hope immediate remedial work to be done as would love to give Novotel KK another chance!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is the place to stay if you like shopping and eating, it is part of a huge Hypermall that is so big it takes you a couple of days to learn your way around.
The Hotel has free shuttle buses that leave every hour during the day if you want to go down town.
We went once but found the Hypermall was much better.

Room Tip: Pool is on floor 7 if you like to be close to an undercover pool with a pool bar . The breakfast wa...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I am happy to put my review in the context of the surrounding area and accommodation, KK is definitely not a 5-star tropical destination, it's a raw, basic town that was actually a really good place to experience with really good people living there.
Let's start with the positives... great mall next to the main foyer, breakfast exceptional, staff helpful and happy, safe and secure feeling throughout, free shuttle bus to the city, great value, free WiFi in foyer, complimentary late check out, seafood restaurant nearby best I have ever had, first two nights room was very good - nice views, well set up and air con all ok.
But.... midway through my stay the hotel booted me out for ONE NIGHT because it was full. A cruise ship had arrived so my entire party was moved out. Moved me next door to budget hotel and then had us lug all our luggage back to finish the stay. Poor form, but these things happen.
Then..... the next morning after the first night back, I woke up to bite marks all over my legs, arms, chest and back. And not just a couple. Entire patches of skin with blemishes and small blisters. Mite? Lice? Bed bugs? Spider? I don't know, because I am on my way to the doctor to find out. At least they moved me (again) albeit with no apology. Although after complaining heavily at least they gave me one free night.
So for a 7 night stay I stayed in 4 different rooms. I am sure that if I hadn't been moved it would have been a good experience but it was not to be.
I would really love to rate this higher because everything else was great, but with the itching that is happening, I can't.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Pitas, Sabah, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

when comes to shopping this place is the closest you could ever be to just stroll over to one of the biggest shopping mall in Borneo.
The interior of the rooms are in good and clean condition. Room is spacious and equipped with the necessary needs for a business and those who traveling with family.
The bathroom set-up is unique and commendable for couple travellers (a big glass separating the bedroom area and the bathroom with a roll down blind) but maybe inappropriate for those travelling with family or relatives.
The furnishing is not luxurious but simple and adequate. The television screening quality needs some work to be done and for sure this is not the hotel for you to sit in and enjoy the indoors but you would rather be out there in the malls.
welcoming and receiving needs some major revamp as the total time taken for allocating a room takes very long, even when i have made earlier reservation. I could even manage to grab a bite while i was waiting for the receptionist to be done with my room allocation.
Overall, its a great place to stay and the food can be considered average as well. Well, I guess they cafe management must be a fan of Bruno Mars as they were playing his tracks all day long. thanks for that, as i did enjoy it but not sure about the staff and the rest of the people who were there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo? Share your experiences!