“Good place for shopaholics, not for exotic nature travelers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo

You added Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo to your Saves list
Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   TB-00-01, 1Borneo Hypermall, Jalan UMS, Kota Kinabalu 88450, Malaysia   |
Ranked #34 of 93 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
New Delhi, India
“Good place for shopaholics, not for exotic nature travelers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Kota Kinabalu city is so-so. Crowded, jammed, nothing interesting from historical point of view. There are few good hotels. - Sangri La seems to be the only BEACH resort here. La Meridien in the central part pleased us a lot. But the agency offered us very strange option - Novotel, situated at Supermall. !!!!!!! 30 minutes away from KK!!!!!!! Honestly speaking, I was furious. Novotel was good. Nice rooms, excellent breakfasts with choice of local - western - indian cuisine, helpful staff. (Swimming pool was so-so, since the hotel is VERY big for one middle-size pool, staffed with children of all ages). BUT It was really crazy idea to accommodate those who came for eco/ nature tourism inside the Mall and far away from the city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Communication D, Manager at Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Maria_Delhi,

Greetings from Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo!

Thank you for sharing your review on our hotel on Tripadvisor and for your wonderful compliments our guestrooms and breakfast selections. On the other hand, you might want to share your feedback to the travel agency since you have different expectations pertaining to your hotel stay.

Nevertheless we are happy to be of service. Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The location is great which is next to the biggest Mall in Sabah. Very convenient to get shopping and food. Just 20min drive to city and taix fee is the same for those live in the city nearby resort. This hotel is one of good choise for those look for an ecomony trip or will not spend too much time in the hotel. Although this is a mid-tier hotel, I do expect some basic service and quality. The air con in my room had problem every night. It would stop automaticially in the middle night or could not swtich on when I was back to the room. I called the front desk. Every time they restarted the system but the problem repeated next day. The housekeeping was not up to standard. Each day they would make some mistakes, either missing the trash bin bag or forgot to empty it. Highly recommend the hotel to improve the standard control..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Communication D, Manager at Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear deniskan,

Greetings from Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo!

Thank you for staying at Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo, we are delighted that the hotel's location and the convenience that comes with it highlighted your overall experience with us.

We are sorry that our air-cond and Housekeeping service did not perform well during your stay. Please rest assured that appropriate action has been taken with our team, to ensure that this mistake will not happen again.

We all look forward to welcoming you again soon to Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo.
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was in Novotel Kota Kinabalu for 5D4N during the March break.

Things I like:
1) Free wifi at the lobby (Even though it was not stated on the homepage)
2) Friendly customer service
3) It was connected to One Borneo shopping mall. (It is a huge entertainment centre)
4) Close proximity to the airport and it was situated in the hub of the city.
5) Availability of Swimming pool and Gym (located in the shopping mall)

Things I dislike:
1) The bar was pretty small and there was no TV to catch any live soccer :(
2) The breakfast was pretty much the same everyday (Since I was there for 5D4N)
3) The lobby can be quite congested at time due to the free wifi
4) Some of the amentites was quite badly maintained, and I have to call the receptionist for help to fix my aircon. My friends from the next room complained about the toilet door. It cannot be closed properly.

Conclusion: Would I stay there again? There are 3-4 hotels at One Borneo. However, I would choose Novetel based on the brand name (trust- worthy) and good customer service. Overall, I have positive experience there! :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear tonyneo,

Greetings from Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo!

Thank you for sharing your insights from your recent stay at Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo.

We are pleased to read that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us and particularly value our location, wifi service and staff friendliness.

It was a pleasure having you with us and we all look forward to welcoming you again soon to Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with family. What I want to stress on concerning to this place is its staffs are very friendly and very helpful. One staff which is very kind and helpful to us is Fred. I think the top management level should give him any reward for his kind-heartedness attitude. Two thumbs up for him. Room also good with modern style and decoration. The restaurant also very good with delicious and so many choices of food.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear mzulkiflis,

Greetings from Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo!

Thank you for sharing your review on our hotel on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to know that you had an excellent stay with us. We have also noted your kind words to our front office staff Freddie who is one of our superstars who has made your stay an enjoyable one.

It was certainly a pleasure for us to be at your service and we all look forward to welcoming you again soon to Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo.
Coolum Beach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Room was great layout (suite) and good size. The position of the hotel was excellent, being part of 1Borneo mall and cost was reasonable for Hotel of this quality. Day trips from the hotel were easy with shuttle buses to city and fixed cost taxi's to sites outside of city.
The bed was too hard but that was my only slight negative with the whole experience.
Definitely recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear pavandsheri,

Greetings from Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo!

Thank you for sharing your review on our hotel on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your compliments on our hotel services and facilities especially the guestroom and hotel location.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed 4 nights at this hotel on a recent vacation. The hotel is typical for a Novotel and is clean and comfortable. All public areas have just been renovated and look very smart. My reservation was not in the system on arrival but the staff dealt with this swiftly and professionally.

My room had been upgraded to a suite (thanks!) and was amazing. The daily maid service was very good. The only thing that disappointed me at the hotel was to pool area. There are no sun loungers and at best, they staff may be able to find a mattress for you to use otherwise if you wish to sunbathe, you need to lay on the cement floor. The pool area looks nothing like it does on the hotel's website.

The hotel is situated at the 1Borneo complex which is several miles outside of the downtown area. The 1Borneo complex does offer an hourly shuttle to downtown KK but be aware of this if staying downtown is important to you. There is a large mall with many eating options right next to the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Humshee,

Greetings from Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo!

Thank you for staying at Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo, it was a pleasure having you with us.

Whilst we are pleased that you were generally satisfied with our hotel, we are sorry to hear that our pool area fell below your expectations. Your feedback has been shared with the team for necessary corrective action.

Thank you once again for your feedback and for staying with us.
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

This hotel needs to try harder.

On arrival my suitcase was whisked away by a gentleman in a blue uniform, very helpful I thought...and went to check in where I was made to search out the expedia voucher before I could check in, Id just climbed Mt Kinabalu and was exhausted, after 5 minutes of emptying my stuff all over the floor and asking if I could bring it down later I finally found it.

This was the only hotel in two weeks that made me do this.

I was then informed that I had to pay a deposit on the room by credit card before I could proceed...again time consuming and the only hotel in Borneo that made me do this.

I was also advised by reception that there would be no power in the rooms for 2 hours that evening but I could come and eat in their restaurant "for free?" I enquired "No" came the response....dear oh dear.

I went up to my room and waited for my luggage which had failed to materialise...after 15 minutes I called downstairs and after much confusion, where I was asked if I wanted my Laundry collecting! I went back downstairs totally exhausted and cheesed off to find my case sitting in the middle of the reception area. (I was worried it might have been stolen!)

The room was OK. Three large black hairs in the bathroom from previous occupant and a ridiculous bath with a fixed screen that meant you had to go into the shower to turn it on (first spurt of water very cold!) No WIFI, internet by fixed cable...when it stopped working I had to contend with the now accepted useless service in getting it resolved.

Day two - I heard on the grapevine that there was a shuttle into KK. I went to reception and was told the next bus would leave at 11am. So I waited outside the front of the hotel only to be informed (after I'd missed the bus) that it left from the rear of the shopping mall and I had to book tickets.....why would reception not tell me this....??? unbelievable!

The hotel is a long way out of the City Centre.

Overall dissapointing....Novotel has to work MUCH harder on its customer service and I would not recommend until these problems are sorted.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear furrycoat,

Greetings from Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo!

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo, it was a pleasure having you with us.

We are sorry for the inconveniences occured during your stay, your feedback on the shortfall of our services has also been shared with our team. It is feedback such as yours that enables us to adjust and better serve our guests and meet their satisfaction.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we all look forward to welcoming you again soon to Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo.

Been to Novotel Kota Kinabalu 1Borneo? Share your experiences!