“Good service but average room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tune Hotel - 1Borneo, Kota Kinabalu

You added Tune Hotel - 1Borneo, Kota Kinabalu to your Saves list
Tune Hotel - 1Borneo, Kota Kinabalu
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   G-803, 1Borneo Hypermall | Jalan Sulaman, Kota Kinabalu 88450, Malaysia   |
Ranked #19 of 93 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good service but average room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

The hotel is connected to1Borneo shopping mall, and is very close to the food courts and shopping outlets. The hotel staff were very polite, friendly and helpful. The only snag was the lift entrance faced the toilet payment counter and it was not so pleasant. The room was small and there was hardly any space to move.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Phuket, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Ok if you like wondering around in a shopping centre with no maps looks at stuff then the hotel maybe great for you. But personally I have descovered my personal hell. Be aware there is no laundry service here and I arrived with only one set of clean clothes Due to travelling around Borneo. After the staff informed me that there was no laundry they sent me on a wild goose chase around the shopping centre for a laundry service that no longer existed. I found it rather ridiculous that there was no laundry service in the whole shopping centre and the other hotels. After explains to the staff that this is just not on and that even when I have stayed in the most backwater type places there is always an option for laundry. Eventually the staff sorted it and arranged my laundry to be done. The staff them selves are very nice and are a credit to the hotel but the hotel I will never stay in again. Would rather wash myself in a bucket than be stuck in a shopping centre again. Also be aware there are also no post boxes or public telephones here. It will cost you about 35 rm for a taxi to the real town centre on the plus side there is a movie theatre in the shopping centre which was the only saving grace for my stay here. Also everything is an extra ie tv air con etc this is a place to stay one night and move on three days here was two days to much!!!

reviewed by www.leglesswanderer.com

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Johor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

The hotel located some foot away from shopping mall is definitely good concept, but 1Borneo Mall is far away from KK city center, plus the crowds is not as much as expected.

Maybe there need some years for that area to well-developed, so that it can bring crowds.

Anyway, not recommended this hotel, as its location is really inconvenient which far away from city centre - there are lots of backpackers' hotels in the city centre, which is so much convenient and low cost, too.

Room Tip: Not recommmend to choose this hotel as its location is far from city centre, although we know that T...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
DeSilvaTunehotels, Manager at Tune Hotel - 1Borneo, Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Hi Twee Boon,

Thanks for the feedback. I come to agree with you that we are not close to the city. However there is a shuttle service offered by the mall as early as 9.00am to 9.00pm to the city centre that departs every half hour daily and the best part, it's free.

Our hotel is about an hour half from the National Park and we have tour packages where you could purchase at the time of bookings.

I hope you will come stay with us the next time you come to Kota Kinabalu and please reach out to me if you need any assistance in planning a tour or a stay at Tune Hotels.

Regards,
Banff, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

I stayed there two separated nights for transit.
The room wasn't big, but it's ok because I needed a few hours of sleep before my flight. There is a convenience store on the first floor so it's pretty convenient.
I payed only 30USD per a night, it was quite cheep.
The best part was that hotel stuff were very kind. I never had uncomfortable experience with them during my stay. All of them were quite nice.
Bad thing was the location. It is very far from the airport. It costs you 15USD for taxi to get there. And you basically can't take local bus with your luggages because the bus is pretty small. Also, beside the hotel, there is a night club and it's pretty loud. And drunk guys are around, so I didn't feel safe walking around at night.
There is 1 Borneo mall next to the hotel, and the mall is pretty big, if you are not going to go to downtown, just wanna spend some time in the mall, staying at this hotel is a good idea. Other than that, you need to know that it's cheep, but very far from the airport.

• Stayed February 2014
Hi Rimpsons,

Thanks for the feedback. It takes approximately less than half an hour to the airport, depending on traffic.

We apologize for the loud noise, please speak to the frontdesk if you wish to have a room located at a quieter end, we will work one out if we could get one available.

Hopefully you will look out for us the next time you come to Kota Kinabalu, and perhaps explore the eco attraction tours we have packaged with the hotel stays.

See you.

Regards,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Located litter far a way from KKIA.But most of the front desk staff are do a good job since check in till check out.Provider the guest withy very usefull information.Just make a feel like a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Try to avoid for stay a room without window.It too warm just like a sauna room.Specially when we not...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Leeds, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Appalled on arrival as our first room was horrid, damp on the walls, bedside lights not working, filthy shower and our tele didn't work. After speaking to Reception we were moved to a slightly better room but the complex itself does not lend itself well to a hotel as it looks like a renovated multi storey carpark. Once we'd moved rooms and began to explore it wasn't too bad. The mall next door is extensive, with lots of lovely places to eat downstairs, although many of the shops are expensive and very English. In the mornings - as nothing else is open we enjoyed our breakfasts in the local hangout (chicken and rice anyone?), there's a regular free bus to town (thankfully coz it's quite a distance).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
DeSilvaTunehotels, Manager at Tune Hotel - 1Borneo, Kota Kinabalu, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

We apologize for the poor level of cleanliness you have experienced during your recent stay. The team had relocated you to a different room and I'm glad that made a difference. Please furnish your bookings details to sharon.desilva@tunehotels.com and I will investigate what had happened.

In the meantime, I shared your feedback to the the housekeeping team to ensure they
improve their cleanliness standards.

Thank you for the review. We hope you'll allow us the opportunity to restore your experience the next time you come by.

Warm Regards,
Anaheim, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

My room was clean but so many ants in my bathroom. The front desk gave me a bug splay, but after I splayed my little room, it smelled so strong and I got sore throat. I booked the room with AC and towels. You had to return your old towels to the front desk and exchanged them to new ones. Housekeeping would not even change towels for $40 USD per nite that I paid for. Other than that, my stay was OK.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We apologize for not meeting the cleanliness standards you have come to expect from us. Please connect with me directly at sharon.desilva@tunehotels.com with your booking details so that I could identify what went wrong during the housekeeping activities at the time of your stay.

Please rest assured, I have shared this review with the housekeeping team to improve their service and ensure that this does not happen again.

We provide only the basic; bed and shower. You'll have to pay for the extras. We do not provide daily change of towel but you could purchase additional ones at the front desk or alternatively, bring your own.

Besides offering the advantage of affordable pricing, This practice supports the environment; Less Waste More Earth which typically encompasses energy –consuming facilities such as air-conditioning, TV, WIFI and laundered towels.

Thank you for the review and we hope to be given the opportunity to renew your experience the next time you come by.

Warm Regards,
De Silva-Customer Care Manager

Been to Tune Hotel - 1Borneo, Kota Kinabalu? Share your experiences!