“worst hostel out of our whole asia tour” 2 of 5 stars

You added Red Palm Hostel to your Saves list
Red Palm Hostel
Red Palm Hostel
Lot 130, 1st Floor, Kota Kinabalu 88000, Malaysia   |
“worst hostel out of our whole asia tour”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

well where do i start....booked 2 nights to stay here paid for the first night first because needed to go to the atm to get some more money out then when we paid for the next night she said we hadnt paid the first as we didnt have a reciept but we went straight to bed as soon as i gave her money so we didnt have one and out of all the hostels we have been to we have always paid the night we stay so we knew we had paid so in the end my girlfriend gave her the money again!
Its a weird setup the rooms open onto the living/dining/reception area and they had their kids there sleeping on the sofas during our stay which was awkward to say the least!
the morning of us leaving we woke up and got showered etc (showers and toilets are also onto the same big area so you can hear everything the other people do in the toilets if you catch my drift :-/ yuk) then made a tea while we packed our bags by this time it was 8.30AM and we asked where she had put the breakfast stuff (breakfast of toast and jam etc is included) was and she said extremly rudely breakfast was over?!?! so i got the bread and jam out the fridge anyway and we had our breakfast (that we ha paid for) and then my girlfriend went to make a cup of tea and she said she cant have a tea shes already had one so we said we would buy one to which she replied its not for sale!?!?! AVOID THIS HOSTEL AT ALL COSTS THERES LOADS IN THE SAME AREA WHERE WE MET PEOPLE THAT SAID THERES WAS NICE...its had no reviews for a couple of years for a reason its a joke of a place!!! be warned!!!

• Stayed June 2013

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

I stayed at this hostel back in Christmas and New year in Dec 2008 to Jan 2009. I had a wonderful time and a great experience staying here first time round, that I decided to come back again this time in May 2011.

In spite of some of the bad things I previously heard on both hostelworld and tripadvisor about how this hostel had gone downhill, I still decided to check it out for a night or two to see how things went. I had heard bad things like the staff just "staring" at the guests and being very rude, lack of English, ants crawling all over the place, and even rats!

Yet on my second visit here, I never experienced any of the above. The current management have only been at this hostel for one month, and they actually know the management who were running this hostel when I was here in 2008/2009. So I am hoping that business will pick up once again for the Red Palm.

I found the hostel once again to be very clean, the staff were very polite and friendly and spoke reasonably good English. As I mentioned, I planned only to stay for two nights, but I had such a nice time that after one night, I booked up the remaining four nights to extend my stay in this hostel. The place was practically empty when I first arrived, but it quickly got full after me staying one or two nights there.

So once again, I would certainly recommend this hostel to anybody who stays in Kota Kinabalu.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Hurstbridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

Bit weird, this place. Like living at home with a live-in maid!. Very clean and convenient, free internet and very convenient. Not much socializing with other travelers though..

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Warszawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

It's located in the city center. There are many restaurants and shops in the area, near the entrance there are some bars where you can drink beer. We had triple room without bathroom. I think that shared bathroom was only one disadvantage but it was clean. Room was clean and quite ok for this price. Staff was friendly and helpfull.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Red Palm Hostel? Share your experiences!