“Absolutely fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$104*
and up
Kinabalu Park Canopy Walkway and Poring Hot...
Ranked #1 of 98 Attractions in Sabah
Type: Mountains, Outdoors
Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Dungog, Australia
“Absolutely fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Recently did the two day climb (overnight stay on the mountain) and cannot recommend this highly enough. Booked at the ferry terminal in kk, where there are plenty of operators.
I was picked up at my hotel at 6am and driven to the park entrance (about 2.5 hours). From there i was introduced to my guide and away we went.
I am very fit and got up to the guesthouse in around 3.5 hours. It is a very strenuous climb. It is uneven and good footwear is important.
Once at the guesthouse you get to relax, enjoy the incredible views and meet fellow travellers. Don't plan on much sleep or a hot shower.
Woken at 2am for the assault on the peak, there is a lot of muffled excitement and expectation.
You head off with as many clothes as you can put on....and dont forget a head lamp.
This is when the adventure really starts. Again, the climbing is strenuous, but unbelievable. In the darkness you traverse a granite valley that the morning light will reveal with incredible delight.
Most of the climb is rope assisted. In the steeper parts I would count out 50 or 100 steps and then have a short break. The summit is very rocky and you get to look back at what I will not be able to put into words.
Take the best camera you have. I have never taken photos like the ones I took at mt Kinabalu.
The descent back to the guest house is amazing. Take at least an hour or so to get ready for the 6km descent back to the park entrance. Your guide may hassle you to leave quicker. It is your climb and take the time you need.
The track down is very tough and very easy to slip.
This two day adventure was incredible in the true sense of the word. No trip to Borneo is complete without visiting mt K.
Don't plan to do too much the following day. Your legs will be sore !
Cost 1270 myr....

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New York
“The last real adventure in Asia...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I'm approaching 30 and in decent enough shape, and when I had a few extra days to enjoy myself between jobs I decided to attempt Mt. Kinabalu. I expected a challenge and thought it would be no problem to conquer the mountain in a single day.

Don't trust what you read in guidebooks: this mountain is HUGE, DAUNTING and TERRIFYING. The first 6k of the climb to Laban Rata is relatively doable but you'll be panting and your legs will be burning. The first section took me just over 3 hours. The next 2.5k moves up hundred of stairs until you reach a sheer granite cliff which slides at a 45 degree angle into oblivion. A strong rope provides the needed support to clamor up the steepest sections. Don't look down or your heart will race even faster.

To crest the summit required another 2.5 hours for me from Laban Rata. The top of the mountain was like nowhere I've been before. Most incredible was the silence - all you can hear is the wind and the sound of your heart beating in your ears. It was surreal, moving and truly memorable.

Unfortunately, the descent was, in a word, awful. Each steps pounds the ankles and knees, and I could feel my legs becoming weaker and weaker. It took another 4 hours to descend; I admittedly wasn't using any hiking poles which probably could have made it a little easier.

Overall I would say that if you are young and truly want to test yourself, this is quite a journey. I'd say you need to be above-average in terms of fitness level and that you're ready to conquer your fears. It's an unbelievable accomplishment but I can't recommend finishing in a single day given how strenuous the descent was.

One reviewer said "Only do this if you are young and crazy!" I have to agree.

6 attraction reviews
“A unique experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Even if the weather was not on our side during the climb, this was a unique experience, could do with no steps all the way that really push you to the limit specially on the way down.

ararat
5 attraction reviews
“fantastic views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

our guides name was Richard. He was a very lovely man with alot of local knowledge. The climb was not easy.The 2am climb was so hard, due to lack of sleep . No warm water for showers at Resthouse. My overall experience was amazing though. My legs ached for days after but the climb was worth it all.

Philippines via Chicago
56 attraction reviews
“Fairly easy climb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

20th highest peak in Asia, but a fairly easy climb. I've known seniors & children both do the climb in a day & 1/2. I did it in a day. Breathtaking sunrise setting at the top.