“Not luxury, but worth it for the price.” 4 of 5 stars

Palm Garden Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   IOI Resort, Putrajaya 62502, Malaysia   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Putrajaya
Manchester
“Not luxury, but worth it for the price.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Stayed here for a week during a business meeting between Christmas and New Year. The hotel is far away from most places and is not within walking distance of any places to eat, shop etc. The actual hotel is a bit dated and the rooms could do with some modernisation. Having said that we had breakfast and lunch at the hotel and I have to say the food was absolutely amazing. Great variety of authentic Malay food well cooked. Conference facilities were more than adequate and the staff made sure all our needs were accomodated. Overall a good value place to stay and meet, but a shame about the location.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

The pros
Quiet and beautiful area and surroundings
Fabulous buffet breakfast included in the price
Nice staff

The cons
Carpets need to be replaced....they are so worn out and dirty I did not want to put my bare feet on them.

Email response needs to be more professional...I sent several emails and only got a response when I contacted the conference organizer...and when I arrived they still did not have a record of my booking.

Taxi from airport (prepaid) was 64 ringet. Taxi from hotel to airport was 80 ringet. The company charges the taxi companies for the privilege of coming to the hotel. Taxi into the centre of Putrajaya is very expensive...20 ringets for less than 3 kilometers. They tried to charge us $50. for a tour of Putrajaya.

The staff spent several hours trying to fix the toilet which never did work. They should have just moved us to another room, while they tried to fix the problem.

Secondary restaurants are only open on weekends.

Charge for the key to the lockers in the gym/swimming pool.

Wifi only works in the lobby and does not work all the time.

Shuttle to mall only runs during the weekend.

If the conference was not being held at this hotel I would have stayed somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask to look at several rooms to select a cleaner room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

My organization organised a 2 day event whereby I was assisting the organizing committee in selection of the venue. After going through what we did, I can say with 100% confidence, never again to trust the management of this venue for my future events.

Firstly, the rooms (Putra I & II) looked really worn down with creaking doors. The air conditioning was in super working condition. The table cloths were however an embarrassment as there were visible holes as well as graffiti left by previously bored participants. The sound system could not be heard from behind as the mics provided an interference with the speakers when the volume is pushed up.

Signage wise, it was not clear as the wordings were too small and there was no mention of our event in the main lobby. Parking was free however but not shaded.

Food was nothing to shout about however what needs to be mentioned is the fact that the tea provided was in a small dispenser which was not refilled after it finished. On the other hand, the coffee was in a much larger container but with inefficient heating whereby our guests had commented that the coffee was cold. To make matters worst, the head of the organizing committee had spotted a german cockroach on the end of the table cloth during our morning tea break.

Last but not least would be the level of customer service found in this avenue is equivalent to that of a countryside motel. During a last minute check, we had found that our request for the room layout had not been met and notified the attending staff of our request. He replied that the other staff had gone back and that only he was left and he will have to do it himself. After awhile, a man in a suit and a name tag (assuming to be another manager) came charging in demanding to know the problem to which we explained. Instead of being customer oriented and helpful, we were told off that we had come at such a late hour expecting changes to be made and not comprehending that the changes were not a last minute addition but an error on the hotel management's side. Further to that, we were lectured that the hotel would normally require to charge for the additional time taken to have the rooms checked out at such a late hour as their electricity is being utilized by us and also that his staff has been working since early morning and still has to meet our demands at the late hour close to 12 midnight and we should know that they have many other events to attend to not just ours. Please note that prior to our visit to the venue for a check, the management in contact kept changing the time for our event setup from 5pm to 8pm to 10pm and finally to 12pm before reverting back that it can be done at 10 without a single notion on the difficulty for us to plan our check when the time keeps changing so randomly. On the day of the event itself, we received feedback from our invited guests that the host should make the venue as comfortable as possible for their guests instead of having them shiver in cold. When we forwarded that to the maintenance/AV technician (supposedly on standby), his feedback to us was that it is very hard to satisfy everyone to which our rooms remained cold while being very argumentative and defensive. Finally we noticed the thermostat control by the light switch and decided to adjust the temperature ourselves and the room felt a whole lot better. In addition to the already bad taste of customer service we are experiencing, the attendants had an accident going through the staff door to the kitchen and dropped a whole tray full of glassware causing such a commotion one would think there was a Greek Wedding going on in Malaysia.

The experience here has left an awful impression to which we do not have the slightest confidence that a simple review or complaint letter will change the management quality here.

End

Room Tip: The best tip is to try another hotel
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

This hotel is very tried. Carpets filthy, walls dirty, rooms need painting. Staff ok but not great. Do not stay here, much better options in outrage jaya and kl itself

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Booked this resort with free wifi but no internet in my room. A Very quiet place. Food was excellent.

• Stayed November 2011
George Town, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I have been to many hotels before,and this is definitely 1 of the best hotels I have stayed in before. i chose to stay at palm resort putrajaya for 2 nights coz i had to stay smwhere near to Putrajaya as I had to attend a convention there. The service of this hotel is close to excellent,especially from the front office.They granted almost all my request and solved any discomfort I had. I took the vacation package which cost rm600 inclusive of spa,dinner n breakfast..it was worth every cent.Upon check in,I was upgraded to the athurium suite when i had originally booked for only the heliconia room because the hotel was fully booked.The room was large,spacious and has good view. The food was excellent. and delicious.breakfast served a wide variety of chices and the bbq buffet dinner was amazing I had free spa which came along in the package and it was extremely relaxing.This hotel also provides free shuttle service to selected destinations which allows those without transport to travel without any charges as taxi service in KL and Putrajaya are very expensive.Conscierge service is very good.

Having said all the good things,here comes the negative part. My complaint is that,one of the receptionist by the name of Ayu always have this sour look.As a front liner,she should always smile to make gust feel welcomed.The f&b manager(one indian guy) is also quite rude and hardly smiles.But the malay guy(could be the assistant manager) was extremely nice and welcoming.House keeping service is quite bad in the sense of when I request for something,it takes ages to be sent to the room.I even asked for extra pillows the first night.and the housekeeping people never came back despite calling them for 3 times through the phone,i gave up because I had a long day.I had the pillows delivered the next day after reminding them again. The lobby area is quite dull and looks forlorn,it need to be renovated to maintain the standard of a 4 star hotel.It doesn't give the feeling for us to spend a minute in the lobby.The hotel need to be renovated in some area's.Cleanliness was quite good but there was some part next to the wardrobe which was quite dusty.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

My colleagues and I will be attending a conference at this hotel in October. I have yet to stay at the hotel (and will probably not if my current predicament is not resolved).

Since my colleagues and I are attending a conference at the hotel, we are eligible for a special package tailored for the conference attendees. Since the conference would be held at the hotel, we thought that we might as well stay there too. Furthermore, since we will be flying into KL, we wanted to get all the needed arrangements settled prior to our departure.

I first corresponded with the hotel via email on September 7, for which I only got a read receipt. No direct communication from the hotel. After about a week or so, on September 16, I contacted them again via phone. I rang the front desk up and a lady answered. I told her that I emailed them a week ago and had not received any response whatsoever. She then said, "I will email FOR you." I thought to myself, "Wouldn't she need my name to do that." So I told her my name and spelled it out for her. Halfway through my name, she cut me off by, again, saying "I will email FOR you." Okay, I thought. She will email FOR me. After the phone call, I immediately wrote another email to them, attaching the previous email which I had sent earlier. Again, I got a read receipt but nothing more.

Yesterday, I wrote to them again (September 20). Yes, you guessed it right. I got ONLY a READ RECEIPT. In yesterday's email, I asked for the manager's email so I could contact him directly. Obviously, even that was futile.

So much for being a four star hotel. I wonder how they are dealing with other international delegates/customers.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Palm Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!