“Best hotel in Penang” 5 of 5 stars
Review of G Hotel Gurney

You added G Hotel Gurney to your Saves list
G Hotel Gurney
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   168A Persiaran Gurney, George Town, Penang Island 10250, Malaysia   |
Ranked #15 of 69 Hotels in George Town
Certificate of Excellence 2014
singapore
“Best hotel in Penang”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2009

G Hotel gets 5 stars, as its a great hotel with great service - with one odd exception reservations. As when I wanted to reserve this hotel back in Jan their web booking system was not working booked it via a mix of email and phone with the reservations department. They made a complete meal of this giving me fax no's that didn't exist, losing faxes with credit card details on them, never replying to emails and so forth.
On arrival I as well as the two executive floor rooms I booked I was told they had also reserved me two more standard rooms, which I'd never asked for! This was sorted out with minimal fuss at front desk, in a manner that reflects excellent service in the hotel everywhere excluding reservations who are quite obviously incompetent.
However despite nearly cancelling the booking earlier on due to the problems with reservations I'm glad I didn't.
The hotel has really nice large rooms, no bathtub is the only real moan. Service was generally very good. The Cafe has really good food and the service staff are very friendly.
The exec floor is well worth the extra money in terms of what you get for it. The location is good, and so were the hotel's transport desk.
Gym is pretty good by hotel standards and overall we - me, my wife and my parents had great stay. They also have a very good spa.
Its a great place to relax in Penang and we throughly enjoyed our four night stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

This hotel is fairly new and has modern facilities. The rooms are large and clean and a variety of excellent facilities are provided by the hotel. There is a great pool and gym and there are good restaurants and bars with live entertainment. I found all the staff to be extremely courteous and helpful during my 12 day stay. Next door is a large shopping plaza with many choices of cafes and restaurants if you don't want to eat in the hotel. The open food market, a 5 min walk from the hotel, serves good, very cheap local food. I found this area to be safe walking around on my own and generally all the people I came into contact with were friendly. A great place to relax and enjoy Penang.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

G Hotel has always been our choice whenever we visit Penang as the location is very convenient which is located just right beside the largest and hottest shopping mall in Penang - Gurney plaza. Easy access to restaurant, shopping and Taxi to go around towns and other destination.

Though we always face some challenges during check in, but G hotel staff has always make it a point to ensure all our request is fulfilled and ensure we are satisfy with the arrangement.

Me and my Family stayed in G hotel again on the 19th March - 22nd March. My dad had a sudden heart attacked on a Saturday afternoon, We called the ambulance and received immediate assistance from G Hotel Staff, where they send their attendance to transfer my dad to the hotel lobby and control on the traffic to ensure my dad was transfer to the Ambulance at once without any delays. With their great help, we manage to sent my dad to the emergency ward and get my father treated immediately and he is safe. They even called and extend their concern and follow up to ensure my dad is doing fine.

Thank you again Ms Mary and team for your great service and help and keep up the great service and team work!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Aachen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

Spent 4 nights here while in Penang and loved it; great design; good location and good value. Very nice staff; complimentary bikes to ride to town. Wonderful breakfast, pool area and great shopping plaza next door.
Minor annoyances: airco was on too high; it was simply too cold;
Sesame & Soy Chinese nouvelle cuisine (Cantonese) was somewhat pretentious for our taste.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

I visit Penang at least once a year and I always stay at G Hotel. This time was the 6th time I've stayed, and it was the 3rd time they got my reservation wrong. Each time I make a reservation (including other hotels), I make it a point to specifically request a queen/king bed. G Hotel somehow always misses this out and I end up with 2 single beds, quoting a lack of availability, but I made the reservation well in advance and I don't see how it can be so difficult to get a queen/king bed. I love staying at the hotel, but at this price, I would expect much better handling of such a situation.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

The G hotel is a very unexpected hotel in Penang which is a historical town. It faces the sea, has a fantastic pool, a very large western style shopping mall next door. Not the most local experience but a very comfortable resort style hotel. The breakfast is fantastic with endless choices. Our room and bathroom was very large with an unobstructed view of the sea.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
NT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

A perfect location - facing the sea, in front of the seaside promenade and just few minutes' walk distance from the well known Gurney Drive Food Court. Also lots of tradtional cafes, local restaurants serving authentic Malaysian & SE Asian foods. The hotel is convenient either going to World heritage George Town, to the beach and Penang Hill.
A good decor and excellent services in hotel. Clean & spacious room. A real value for money choice for stay. A five star staying experience with reasonable & affordable room rates. I will definitely coming back next time!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Been to G Hotel Gurney? Share your experiences!