“G stands for Great!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of G Hotel Penang

Save Saved
You added G Hotel Penang to your Saves list
G Hotel Penang
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   168A Persiaran Gurney, Georgetown, Penang Island 11250, Malaysia   |
Ranked #8 of 48 hotels in Georgetown
Bukit Mertajam, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
“G stands for Great!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stayed here recently during the Thaipusam break, have been staying here for the last 3 years.... Never been dissapointed..... Check in was smooth and efficient.... Went to our room and it was in great condition but there are also a slight signs of aging.... Everything was good in the room except for the bed which was just a bit hard but not really a big issue..... Breakfast was good and tasty....Minibar was free but 2 kitkats and a few soft drinks were the only things in it.... Staff were very friendly and courteous.... Overall, still a great hotel...... See you again soon :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Penang, responded to this review, January 24, 2014

Greetings from g Hotel!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for the past 3 years and taking the time to write this review.

It is a pleasure to read that everything was good during your stay.

In regards to the bed, may I suggest that a mattress topper to be placed on the bed which you can request via our Guest Service Centre during your next visit to enhance sleeping comfort.

Once again, thank you for your valuable review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

972 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Penang Island, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Hi folks,
This hotel is definitely the worst when it comes to personal hotel guest security.
FYI, I'm a Penangite who's been frequenting the gym located at 3rd floor for the past few years.
I have been hearing a lot of theft happening in this hotel.
Previous example was a Rolex watch belonging to another gym member worth $30k was stolen from gym locker.
I didn't know how awful the security is until the similar thing happened to me.
Last week, my wallet was stolen from a securely locked locker in the gym by an outsider.
Surprisingly the locker was undamaged.
I requested viewing the security footage and found out to my horror, that the suspect conducted the act in less than 5 minutes. It seems like the suspect has planned all of these in advance (even wearing gym attire to disguise as hotel guest)

I received a phone call from security manager (Mr Arul) only 4 days later. He was unprofessional and ineffective. Instead of tightening up security, there wasn't any notice given to hotel guests about the frequent theft.

Feeling upset and frustrated, I requested to talk to the hotel manager, Mr. Michael.
Instead of offering explanation, I was falsely accused of being reckless for not locking my locker (which I am 100% sure I did do so)
For a gym goer who been going to the similar gym for the past 5 years, how could he forget to lock his locker?
It turned out that the baseless accusation came from the gym manager, Mr. Busuf (which I suspect have relation to the frequent thefts).
I have known this gym manager for past few years. Instead of taking the full responsibility for the incident, he seek the easiest way out by blaming on the guest.
In fact, he was NOT even working during the incident day.
According to him, I did not lock my locker many times.
If this was true, how come I NEVER being notified at all (not even ONCE) that my locker was unlocked for the past few years??
This is ridiculous and totally a cowardly attitude demonstrated by a responsible party.
Thinking further about this incident, especially how the suspect pulled off his act in less than 5 minutes, I began to suspect that the gym manager have relation to this frequent thefts.
It seems like the suspect might have access to the key (could be given by the manager) to do so.
Before the change of gym manager to Mr. Busuf, there hasn't been any things like this happening.
Therefore the gym manager, Mr Busuf is the most suspicious person in this matter.

Back to the hotel to meet the hotel manager, Mr. Michael 5 days after the incident.
Obviously Mr Michael is Englishman who has zero intellect who fed on BS from his security team & staff to run his hotel.
Apparently, in order to talk this Englishman, you as a hotel guest will have to wait 3-4 days
to receive a phone call from him.
Not to mention there is need to "threaten" with filing a lawsuit and newspaper publication to get him to response.
Instead of being offered explanation as to how this had happened, he was blaming me for all these BS "cowardly" explanation offered by his security team/gym manager to cover their #$%.
He even claimed that incident like this happened many times and it's entirely NOT his problem at all.
Clearly he doesn't really care about you being a regular hotel guest.
When I tried to raise my voice after being falsely accused, he even asked me to LEAVE!!!
YES!!! "Leave NOW because we don't really care about your stuffs"
Mr Michael is the rudest and most arrogant 5 stars hotel manager I had ever met.
Can you see how ridiculous this hotel manager is??
In other words, they are treating their regular hotel guest like stupid S**#!!!

Is this how 5 stars hotel manager behave???
WOW..unbelievable!

To sum it up;
Security Manager (Mr. Arul)- ineffective, lazy & talented in a%$ covering
General Manager (Mr. Michael)- arrogant, zero intellect, & rude
Gym Manager (Mr. Busuf)- snake, most suspicious coward

Attached together with this review are 4 CCTV footage photos showing how the thief came into the hotel at Ground Floor, took the elevator to third floor gym, entering gym at
"16.02" local time and walked away with wallet at "16.08"
How can a thief act in a confident, smooth & quick manner?
Nothing to do with the gym manager??

You decide!

I'm done with this hotel and would NOT visit AGAIN!!!
To all Hotel guests, please be aware with your personal belongings while you are here!!
The hotel manager does NOT care about you. PERIOD

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Penang, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
NOTICE:

As per reported theft incident recently in numerous hotels including G hotel, please be informed that the thief has been caught. Thank you very much to our Director of Safety & Security who has retrieved the CCTV footage which was shared amongst all Hotels‘ Security Managers which eventually led to the thief being caught. Bravo to another job well done.
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

It was my first trip to Penang with my family. We all enjoyed our trip very much.

Liked:
Welcome ice-cream taste awesome! My niece loved it a lot.
Spacious lobby & very modern.
Room reservation team are very responsive in replying email.
There is one malay lady from the front office team who is very helpful during our stay. (unfortunately I can't remember her name.)
Bell team is always very smiley and friendly.
Gym with appointed trainer around which is seldom seen in hotels. The trainer is very helpful and friendly.
Swimming pool is good to swim some laps.
Free & good wifi connection.
Breakfast has a good selection.
Most of our rooms are with the sea view which is stunning. Can see sunrise too! Relatively clean and well maintained. Free mini bar is a plus especially when the weather is so hot when we visited. Bathroom is well equipped with the amenities.
Close to shopping malls, just next to the hotel & Gurney Drive hawker.
Short drive to Penang hill & Kek Lo Si Temple.

Dislikes:
The reception who attended to us upon check-in was not as smiley as others & we were told that none of our rooms were available when we arrived after 3pm (We booked 4 rooms and flight details were provided). I explained to them that I have a child with me hence would appreciate to have at least a room. They managed to rearrange the room allocation and give us all 4 rooms shortly. Much appreciated. =)
Rooms are a bit dusty for me. I have sensitive nose and was sneezing a lot during the stay.
Location is far from the street art area, clock tower etc.

Overall, our trip and stay at G Hotel was a pleasant experience & we would consider staying there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Greetings from g Hotel!

I am glad to read that you and your family enjoyed your first stay with us very much and thank you for choosing g.

My apologies for the delay in getting your room and the condition of the room which was a bit dusty. Please be assured that I have spoken with our Executive Housekeeper to check and rectify the room.

Once again, thank you for your valuable review and I look forward to welcome you and your family back with us again.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Have previously stayed on Gurney Drive at the Evergreen Hotel and this is definitely a step up.
The hotel lobby is stunning in a modern open plan layout with great lighting.
The rooms are spacious and well appointed.
Great location next to Gurney Plaza for shopping and also next to Gurney Hawker Market for enjoying local food.
The infinity pool is great, though the view is a little uninspiring. The gym is very well equipped and the wifi is excellent, there is even free in-room wifi.
Breakfast is substantial with a very wide choice of western and local cuisine.
Enjoyed my 4 nights here. Would definitely stay here if you want a base closer to the sights than bath ferringhi.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Greetings from g Hotel!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to write this review.

I am pleased to read that everything was good and nice and more importantly that you enjoyed your four nights stay here.

Once again, thank you for your review and I look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I went in early January where it was the rainy season in Penang, but G Hotel really brightened up the holiday!

We were checked in without a hassle and the rooms was big, beautiful and well appointed. The carpet was clean, the windows were not stained, it was just homely.

G Hotel also has a great location. Sandwiched between two big shopping malls filled with stores selling clothes, IT, sports and of course F&B, it is so convenient. Just down the road are many coffeeshops where one can enjoy breakfast of dim sum or bak kut teh (pork bone soup).

The staff were polite and responded to requests accurately and on time.

Will return definitely!

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are the best!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Greetings from g Hotel!

It is great to read that everything was good and the staff were polite and responded to requests accurately and on time as customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise.

I am pleased that we have brighten up your holiday and I look forward to the pleasure to welcome you back.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I stayed here with my colleagues over the weekend and it was a awesome experience. Personally im very into the quality of the hotel especially paying at a pretty steep fee for a night stay. However, G Hotel doesnt fail me at all.

The exterior design of the hotel makes people feel safe and spacious. The hotel staff is extremely friendly and approachable. The staff serving us to our room is a fantastic experience, professional and cheerful.

The interior room was as well spacious and the bed was clean and comfortable. However, the pillows were too soft but still okay.

One of the excellent factor for this hotel is that the drinks in the mini fridge is all free! I have not been to a hotel which serves free soft drinks to room guest. Its a excellent gesture!Thumbs up for this additional feature.

Location of the G Hotel was perfect. 2mins walk to Gurney Plaza and Paragon.

Bascially, there is nothing to complain about this hotel. In fact, its the best hotel ever.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Greetings from g Hotel!

First of all, thank you for acknowledging us as the best hotel ever and your kind words in regards to the excellent service you received during your stay. Our main aim is to raise G Hotel’s standard further while serving our esteemed guests and your comments have been shared with our team, to let them know that their effort to provide quality service is being appreciated.

I am glad to read that the free minibar is an excellent gesture and thank you for the encouragement and praise.

Once again, thank you for writing this review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Johor Bahru, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

My stay in here was fabulous... my family members just like it and enjoy very much... so please keep it up the good jobs. In fact, i been here for more then 3 times and felt everything maintained very well... especially the services and facilities. I like their swimming pool and gym room. at lease no make me felt guilty after eating all the penang delicious foods!! haha!

Bravo "G"!!

Room Tip: higher room as i always prefer!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Greetings from g Hotel!

Thank you for always choosing g first and taking the time to write this review.

It is a pleasure to read that your stay was fabulous where your family members enjoyed very much and we will definitely keep it up as our main aim is to raise G Hotel’s standard further while serving our esteemed guests.

Michael Hanratty

Been to G Hotel Penang? Share your experiences!