“Convenient and good service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of G Hotel Gurney

You added G Hotel Gurney to your Saves list
G Hotel Gurney
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   168A Persiaran Gurney, George Town, Penang Island 10250, Malaysia   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #18 of 72 Hotels in George Town
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Convenient and good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed as a family of four with two toddlers. My kids loved the pool but I thought it was a bit too cold and pool surface was a bit rough. The hotel service was good (especially the concierge, housekeeping and front desk). The location is superb as it is connected to Plaza Gurney, and today (23 July), another mega mall Paragon is opening next to the hotel, so its now in between two big shopping centers! We tried the nyonya food at ground floor of Plaza Gurney and the food was good. There is also a McD next door (you can see it from your check in counter, how convenient is that!), and there is also a salon called Aviation Professional that is behind the hotel - within 8 mins walk. For travelers that are meeting up with friends in Penang and would like to go to town to eat, this is a good place to stay vs Batu Feringgi beach which is further from town. We had a great 4 days in penang, and my kids didnt want to leave!

Room Tip: high floors with seafront view is superb. You wake up to a nice view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Catherine L
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing G Hotel as the preferred accommodation during your recent visit to Penang and I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor.

It was great to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us in particular the location and service. In regards to the pool, we are carrying out resurfacing of the pool flooring next month so this has been addressed.

Once again, thank you for your visit and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Many issues:

1. Front desk people are completely rude and not able to perform their jobs.
2. Room: 1) holes in curtains, dirty, AC not working correctly, cheap feeling.
3. Rude security

Don't bother staying here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JamesBay_13
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear guest,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on Tripadvisor.

By receiving guest feedback we are able to monitor our services and ensure we are provided the proper level, however on this occasion it appears we have failed. Guest service is our main priority and it was unacceptable that you have received such inconstancies from our Front Desk and Security personnel. I apologise on behalf of the team and I can assure you that action will be taken to ensure at this will not be the case in the future coupled with an in-depth re-training program of room cleanliness.

Once again please accept our apologises for the unpleasant experience and I do hope you will give us another chance to prove the usual high level of customer service expected from g Hotel.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Well, I'm staying here just for a luxurious enjoyment, however I feel that the price is not worth it, there is no bathtub, and when I check in there is missing bathrobe as well, i do compare with Hilton at K.L Central, the price is cheaper and the room design is more luxury than G Hotel. Nevertheless, the minibar is free and the Internet access is complimentary with high speed bandwidth which at least add value to me.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Foodhunter84
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor

It was disappointing to read your experience during your stay with us which I apologize for however I will be reviewing each point to see where we can adjust to improve. In regards to the bathtubs, our Deluxe rooms and all Suites do have bathtubs however I am sorry you were not aware of this.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

As I don't know the other ones, it is maybe true. The lobby is great with very nice design. The style is original. I liked the breakfast, the size of the room, the wifi, the service, the sea view, the design of course and the mojito at the bar,

I disliked:
- the bed mattress!!! Never seen such hard mattress in all the places I have been! Kind of marble bed! I had a very bad sleep and the next day the staff installed another softer layer. That is a real downside from this hotel. Some people may like it it is really too much!
- no socket available at the room desk and only one side of the bed,
- the right bed lamp switch is not accessible from the bed. You need to stand up to turn off the light!
- TV channels with bad image quality,
- bulb in bathroom blinking,
- music in the lobby and at breakfast bit too loud.

I still give 4 stars but the management needs to fix those little issues.

Room Tip: Don't take the room 918
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LaurentDeSingapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I love Penang and its world heritage architechure, the hawker stalls and street vendors - I hope it never changes. The G Hotel is modern and funky but fits brilliantly into its old world surrounds. The expansive but warm lobby is embellished by attentive bell staff who graciously touch their hearts in the Malay sign of respect as you enter and egress.

The music reverberates relaxtion as you glide through the foyer and from there we were whisked to the the executive check in. Our suite was stunning and the amenities and attention to detail were world class. What a great way to finish our honeymoon.

We lounged in the Executive Lounge and enjoyed the array of surrounding food and beverage offering nearby. I did not want to leave.

G, what a great hotel.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a suite!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us. Your feedback is highly appreciated because guest satisfaction and comfort are our first priority.

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and impressed with the Malaysian greeting.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Penang Island, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Its like a nightmare when having a dinner at the restaurant (G Cafe). The first impression was good with the excellent service & smile from the staff. But the worst part is we have to wait almost 45 minutes for staff to deliver our order. Just imagine we order Club sandwich which is cost RM 24++ and took 45 minutes to serve? I have to call the waiters to check my order and within 5 minutes she deliver my food and the food was cold!!!!. The staff never apologize for the delay and just walk off to counter for chatting. I spend a lot of money and one of regular guest in GSpot but what can i say the bar staff was fantastic if to compare with cafe staff. Definitely i would not recommend to others and i feel embarrassed for bring my friends along dine at cafe with slow service & unfriendly..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Michellegabor
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your stay in our hotel.

It is disappointing to note that the service rendered in G Café was less than satisfactory, I agreed with you that the waiting time of 45 minutes for food is totally unacceptable. I have shared your feedback with our team; appropriate action will be taken to reinforce attentiveness and to prevent the same incident re-occurring again in the future. Our apologies for the inappropriate experience encountered.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We do hope that you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Before I booked the room, I thought it was strange that the size of the Superior Double/Twin room was 55 square meters (priced at about S$200) but the Executive Double/Twin room was 38 square meters (priced at S$260)!! I understand that you pay more for the Club/Executive Floor Lounge but why should the room be smaller in size? I checked with their reservations department and was told that it is indeed so! The S$26 difference is for the use of the lounge BUT the room was smaller, I was told. Of course I opted for the cheaper room, since I prefer a bigger room than the use of the lounge!

Upon arriving, however, it didn't quite seem like it. I highlighted it to the front desk staff and she told me that it is not so. Hmmmm... I wondered who is correct here? (I did not ask to see the room so I shall leave it to you to figure out who is correct - front desk or reservation..??)

The first thing I noticed just before entering the room was the "peeled off" part at my door! Looked like someone used a mini file to try to get in!!! I reminded myself to lock the door at night! Upon entering, you'd notice the size of the room. It's big and spacious! The bed is placed right in the middle of the room with the working table behind it but it's quite a nice change. The only thing is perhaps the toilet is kinda old although not dirty or anything. Overall satisfactory. The minibar is free (no alcohol of course!) and the the tea and coffee making facility is readily available.

The location of the hotel is also great. Right next to the mall, where there are many shops (Reject shop, FOS, Starbucks, Coffee Bean, Nando's, Chillis', Bata, etc.) - a good mix of retail shops plus a basement of eateries. They open from 10am to 10pm.

Just a little distance away (3 mins walk) is the famous Gurney Drive Hawker Centre. It is slowly being packed with people from about 6pm but the food is really quite good. Many stalls to choose from that you are totally spoilt for choice!! Many start closing around 10pm but some open till about 11pm.

Would definitely stay here again when we come back unless we are going for a nature retreat kind of holiday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Contented13
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us and we are glad to have the opportunity to respond to your concern.

I would like to apologize as different information was provided to you, our Rooms Division Manager has noted on your feedback and appropriate training will be reinforced to enhance services and product knowledge.

I was however concerned to learn that you found some defect on the door, usually any such faults are detected and rectified prior to the room being allocated. I regret that this fault was not brought to the attention of our maintenance team immediately.

In regards to your comment on toilet look old, we will definitely take into account during next upcoming renovation.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback and hope to welcoming you back in the near future to show you that we can do better.

Also consider these accommodations in or near George Town
Hotel Jen Penang
Hotel Jen Penang
#24 of 72 in George Town
4.0 of 5 stars 1,538 reviews

Been to G Hotel Gurney? Share your experiences!