“Given to be the best business hotel in Penang” 4 of 5 stars
Review of G Hotel Penang

Save Saved
You added G Hotel Penang to your Saves list
G Hotel Penang
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   168A Persiaran Gurney, Georgetown, Penang Island 11250, Malaysia   |
Ranked #8 of 48 hotels in Georgetown
Singapore
“Given to be the best business hotel in Penang”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

As I don't know the other ones, it is maybe true. The lobby is great with very nice design. The style is original. I liked the breakfast, the size of the room, the wifi, the service, the sea view, the design of course and the mojito at the bar,

I disliked:
- the bed mattress!!! Never seen such hard mattress in all the places I have been! Kind of marble bed! I had a very bad sleep and the next day the staff installed another softer layer. That is a real downside from this hotel. Some people may like it it is really too much!
- no socket available at the room desk and only one side of the bed,
- the right bed lamp switch is not accessible from the bed. You need to stand up to turn off the light!
- TV channels with bad image quality,
- bulb in bathroom blinking,
- music in the lobby and at breakfast bit too loud.

I still give 4 stars but the management needs to fix those little issues.

Room Tip: Don't take the room 918
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

972 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I love Penang and its world heritage architechure, the hawker stalls and street vendors - I hope it never changes. The G Hotel is modern and funky but fits brilliantly into its old world surrounds. The expansive but warm lobby is embellished by attentive bell staff who graciously touch their hearts in the Malay sign of respect as you enter and egress.

The music reverberates relaxtion as you glide through the foyer and from there we were whisked to the the executive check in. Our suite was stunning and the amenities and attention to detail were world class. What a great way to finish our honeymoon.

We lounged in the Executive Lounge and enjoyed the array of surrounding food and beverage offering nearby. I did not want to leave.

G, what a great hotel.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get a suite!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Penang, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us. Your feedback is highly appreciated because guest satisfaction and comfort are our first priority.

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and impressed with the Malaysian greeting.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Penang Island, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Its like a nightmare when having a dinner at the restaurant (G Cafe). The first impression was good with the excellent service & smile from the staff. But the worst part is we have to wait almost 45 minutes for staff to deliver our order. Just imagine we order Club sandwich which is cost RM 24++ and took 45 minutes to serve? I have to call the waiters to check my order and within 5 minutes she deliver my food and the food was cold!!!!. The staff never apologize for the delay and just walk off to counter for chatting. I spend a lot of money and one of regular guest in GSpot but what can i say the bar staff was fantastic if to compare with cafe staff. Definitely i would not recommend to others and i feel embarrassed for bring my friends along dine at cafe with slow service & unfriendly..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Penang, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is disappointing to note that the service rendered in G Café was less than satisfactory, I agreed with you that the waiting time of 45 minutes for food is totally unacceptable. I have shared your feedback with our team; appropriate action will be taken to reinforce attentiveness and to prevent the same incident re-occurring again in the future. Our apologies for the inappropriate experience encountered.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We do hope that you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Before I booked the room, I thought it was strange that the size of the Superior Double/Twin room was 55 square meters (priced at about S$200) but the Executive Double/Twin room was 38 square meters (priced at S$260)!! I understand that you pay more for the Club/Executive Floor Lounge but why should the room be smaller in size? I checked with their reservations department and was told that it is indeed so! The S$26 difference is for the use of the lounge BUT the room was smaller, I was told. Of course I opted for the cheaper room, since I prefer a bigger room than the use of the lounge!

Upon arriving, however, it didn't quite seem like it. I highlighted it to the front desk staff and she told me that it is not so. Hmmmm... I wondered who is correct here? (I did not ask to see the room so I shall leave it to you to figure out who is correct - front desk or reservation..??)

The first thing I noticed just before entering the room was the "peeled off" part at my door! Looked like someone used a mini file to try to get in!!! I reminded myself to lock the door at night! Upon entering, you'd notice the size of the room. It's big and spacious! The bed is placed right in the middle of the room with the working table behind it but it's quite a nice change. The only thing is perhaps the toilet is kinda old although not dirty or anything. Overall satisfactory. The minibar is free (no alcohol of course!) and the the tea and coffee making facility is readily available.

The location of the hotel is also great. Right next to the mall, where there are many shops (Reject shop, FOS, Starbucks, Coffee Bean, Nando's, Chillis', Bata, etc.) - a good mix of retail shops plus a basement of eateries. They open from 10am to 10pm.

Just a little distance away (3 mins walk) is the famous Gurney Drive Hawker Centre. It is slowly being packed with people from about 6pm but the food is really quite good. Many stalls to choose from that you are totally spoilt for choice!! Many start closing around 10pm but some open till about 11pm.

Would definitely stay here again when we come back unless we are going for a nature retreat kind of holiday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us and we are glad to have the opportunity to respond to your concern.

I would like to apologize as different information was provided to you, our Rooms Division Manager has noted on your feedback and appropriate training will be reinforced to enhance services and product knowledge.

I was however concerned to learn that you found some defect on the door, usually any such faults are detected and rectified prior to the room being allocated. I regret that this fault was not brought to the attention of our maintenance team immediately.

In regards to your comment on toilet look old, we will definitely take into account during next upcoming renovation.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback and hope to welcoming you back in the near future to show you that we can do better.

Dransfeld
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Nice art deco style hotel. Excellent location at guerny drive. Department stores and restaurants in walking distance. Some room have a significant view to the sea and the guerny drive promenade. Various offers leisure activities like gym, yoga lessons and pool. Can't recommend g.spot (the night bar). Life music is to loud to have any conversation. Service is slow and unfriendly

Room Tip: Choose a room with sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your stay in our hotel. We are always glad to hear from our guests. I was glad to read that overall you enjoy the stay at our hotel.

I was however disappointed to learn that the service rendered in G Spot was not up to expectation. Please be rest assured that I have raised your feedback to our Director of Food & Beverage and appropriate action will be taken to enhance the services.

In regards to the loud music, we will review and made adjustment on the volume accordingly.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We will always welcome the opportunity to improve our services.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I checked in with my 8-year-old girl on a Tuesday afternoon for a two-night stay. We booked a standard room but the reception staff said that they'd upgraded us from a deluxe room to a suite. What a big surprise!

The spacious suite came with a separate living room and a kitchen. The perfumed toiletries in the bathroom were from Aigner. The bathtub was a bit small and could soak only one person at a time. My girl loved the bathrobe and the cozy bed.

It is a great and cheap way to taste the local food at the nearby Gurney Drive hawker food centre. And you can buy basically everything from the Plaza Gurney which has a shortcut connected to the hotel.

Taxi to or from the airport costs RM40. Taking a taxi from hotel to Georgetown is RM15 (wish the hotel can provide regular shuttle bus trips). You can catch Rapid Bus No. 103 from Komtar (RM2) or the Jetty (RM1.4) on the way back. It stops just opposite Plaza Gurney.

Avoid going back to the hotel on Friday and Saturday late afternoons and the evenings. Many taxi drivers refuse to drive you there because of the terrible traffic jam.

Overall, it is a modern and elegant hotel with excellent service. My girl keeps saying that we should go back there again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Salvador, El Salvador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Unexpected oasis in Penang.
Everything in this hotel caught me off guard on the beautiful island of Penang.
From the fact that the hotel is in an all inclusive high-end shopping mall.
The buffets are massive. The staff sooooo sweet!
Quiet, Wi-Fi fast, Concierge level stocked to the hilt.
Fantastic pool area and a Top-Notch Gym and Spa.
The lobby bar is a wonderful area to lounge with friends and the G-Spot Bar a friendly local pub...
All in all a wonderful 5 star location...

Room Tip: Higher floors overlooking the bay
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Penang, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing G Hotel as the preferred hotel when staying in Penang and I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor.

It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your generous praise of our buffet, pool, gym and most importantly our team members is very pleasing and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback.

Michael Hanratty

Been to G Hotel Penang? Share your experiences!