“a bit expensive but convinient location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of G Hotel Penang

Save Saved
You added G Hotel Penang to your Saves list
G Hotel Penang
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   168A Persiaran Gurney, Georgetown, Penang Island 11250, Malaysia   |
Ranked #9 of 51 Hotels in Georgetown
ipoh, malaysia
“a bit expensive but convinient location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

this was our first stay at this hotel during chinese new year celebration . the deluxe room was spacious and so was the bathroom . for me the bathroom itself deserve a 5 star , definately spacious and the tiles made it look grand. Very clean with ample of towels. the room itself was slightly dull .. to me .. the full carpeting doesnt look too appealing as it had a dirty look . am used to having a tv mounted to the wall right in the center of the room but in this case it was located next to the window , so watching tv was a bit inconvenient from the bed ( not that i watched tv the whole day ..) .

the location itself was great - next to the Mall and the famous gurney hawker center - might not be suitable for everybody , it seems to me the surrounding cleanliness ( not referring to the food ) is not emphasized... tissues on the floor , plate and cups are not cleared and left on the table ..so this are the few examples . so if you are not bothered with these, there are plenty of local delicacy to try out .

the rates at G hotel is not exactly cheap , but i'll be back since its located at a convenient location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

With the amount of money paid, it is not worthed staying at this hotel with mouldy shower cubical & lots of cocroaches crwaling on the floor. After the second nights, we moved to E&O hotel which is superb.

Room Tip: If you want to spend the amount of money to stay at G Hotel, think twice. E&O is a safer bet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Penang, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Howard K,

We thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience.

I was sorry to learn of your concerns regarding your recent stay and at the outset; I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointment you have expressed.

I trust you will accept that the difficulties you experienced are certainly not reflective of our normal standards. Please be assured that the issues raised have been investigated and appropriate action has been taken to prevent any guests being similarly inconvenienced in the future.

We do pride ourselves on our exceptionally high standard of service and I am sorry we have not lived up to this during your particular stay.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future to show you that we can do better.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We rendezvoused with my in-laws here for 2 nights over a weekend in January. My husband and I paid $156/night including all taxes, for a standard king room. It was nice to be greeted with yummy ice cream but the check in took quite long. We got room 621 which was located on the right side of the hotel with a side view to the sea – well to the unattractive mud flat. It was a large room with complimentary non-alcoholic mini bar included – nice touch. The bathroom was quite large, shower only in our room, with two each bath and hand towels, and lots of toiletries. The bed had nice linens and pillows and the free wifi worked well in the room and common areas. The hotel itself is on the modern side but is showing signs of wear in the carpets and walls of the hallways and rooms. It has a large, beautiful lobby but is more of a show area with form-over-function furniture in the lobby bar – we had to move tables in hopes of finding more comfortable chairs and couches but to no avail. Lobby drinks are expensive - don't have the Lemon Grass and Cinnamon Martini – it just tastes like apple juice. The pool area is large and nice with furniture groupings and cabanas but the close view to other high rise buildings from the pool deck is not very nice. We had the breakfast buffet one morning (costs ~$10USD pp) at the hotel, and while there was a good selection of different ethnic foods nicely presented and with good service, some of the Asian dishes (i.e.: noodles, shrimp rolls) were not very good. There is a modern mall next door as well as lots of street food vendors across from beach front. Lots of people promenade in the evening and run and walk in the morning on sea wall - very nice. Traffic out front can be very busy and backed up on weekends. At CHECK-IN they put a hold of 1200 MR (~$400 USD – more than my room rate for 2 nights!!) on my credit card - for incidentals they said. No hotel elsewhere in Malaysia did this. When I checked out, paying in cash, and questioned when the 1200 MR hold on my card would be reversed the answer was 7 to 14 days!! It didn't affect me personally but not very nice if you have a low limit card or heavy expenses. The parking is free – you just get your ticket validated before driving out. But they book large events such as weddings, there were 2 on the Saturday evening we were here; making it almost impossible to get car parking as the hotel reserves the hotel guest parking for its high paying events (they actually signpost the stalls). That said, the security out front allowed us to park out front for ~15-30 minute periods three times over the two days when we picked up my walking impaired mother-in-law and when we checked out. For the money (expensive, in my opinion) I would not stay here again. It's a popular hotel with young Asians who like to shop the modern Gurney mall next door. All interesting Penang sites are >5km from this hotel and it's often a traffic jam in both directions out and in to get here due to high traffic volume from the next door mall. If you’re here to visit old Penang, as we were, I would recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Linda S,

We would like to thank you for taking the time for sharing your constructive feedback in Tripadvisor.

I am grateful for your comments on buffet breakfast as such information enables us to continually monitor and improve the service we are offering. We do value all guest comments and I have reviewed the issues raised with our Executive Chef, so we may look into improving our food variety and quality.

In regards to the pre-authorization upon check in, please be informed that this is hotel standard procedure to block an amount to cover expenses during a guest stay. Upon check out, should a guest choose to pay their account in cash, then we instruct the bank to release the blocked amount, however it is subject to individual card issuance bank on time frame to releasing the payment.

The hotel is located at the strategic location which is next to one of the top high end shopping malls in town and famous hawker centre. However I admit that the local night life is indeed vibrant, especially on weekends, which is part of what attract many of our guests.

Once again, thank you for your constructive and valuable feedback. We will always welcome the opportunity to be of service.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

The G hotel was our base in Penang while we explored the island (mainly the food!). The location is not in the happening area of penang (Georgetown) but on the outskirts in an area called Gurney. However, there are plenty of local places to check out to eat. Our check in went fine and we were shown to our room. It was on a higher floor and had a view of the pool. The complimentary minibar was ok but didn't have much in it we found appetizing other than the 2 mini kit kats which I ate daily! We got a king bed which was two large singles pushed together which made for a massive bed! It was a little hard but we didn't mind. The room was plenty large and ye bathroom as well. We used the concierge a lot and they were as friendly as could be. We had dinner at the local gurney hawker center and the food was delicious. Probably not as clean and sanitary as other centers in places like Singapore but we are here fine with no issues. The Char ke teoy from the stall in the middle with yellow gas tanks was delicious! Definitely pay the extra buck for the duck egg upgrade. We also checked out a local seafood restaurant outside the hotel (walk to the right when coming out for about half a mile). The food was also great and we got to pick out a fish to have for dinner (some of the fish they had on ice were still flapping!!!). Additionally, if your are not as adventurous and don't want to try local food (not sure why you would skip out on the deliciousness of the food here!) you can head to the shops to the left of the hotel - literally next door and have anything from Chilis to Starbucks to Nandos. Plenty of western options.

Also, the PM of Malaysia stayed in our hotel the last night we were there (due to Chinese New Years he was in town to celebrate). This was a cool treat and the hotel had an extra nice vibe.

We used the hotel for a private driver one day to tour the island. We got a pleasant driver and the price was very reasonable (something like $75 USD for 4 hours). We would highly recommend doing this to day out of the eat and seeing just what you want.

All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel. We had a great time and getting to town is only a 15 ringgit cab ride.8

• Stayed February 2013
Dear dput,

I would like to thank you for taking the time for sharing your opinion on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to learn how much you and your family enjoyed the stay with us.

Our main aim is to raise G Hotel standard further while serving our esteemed guests.

Once again thank you for kind review which is highly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I and my husband stayed at the G Hotel during our trip at Penang in Jnauary, 2013. The ice-creams served when checking in was special. The room was big with mini bar (4 cans of drinks and 2 mini Kit-Kats). The location is great. It is next to the shopping mall (shopping is convenient although it is not as good as in KL). Would come back if we visit Penang again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Penang, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Sandy623,

I would like to thank you for taking the time for sharing your opinion. Your feedback is highly appreciated because guest satisfaction and comfort are our first priority.

I am very pleased to learn how much you and your family enjoyed the stay with us and sharing your review on TripAdvisor.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there recently for a 1 week business trip. The room was spacious with great sea view.Overall pretty good customer service but sometimes they are slow in responding to room service request. Security is commendable as you are only allow to have access to the floor you are at.
Cons: buffet spread is really boring and average for a 4/5 star hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
Taipei, Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I spent 5 nights here for a company meeting. The room is spacious with a big bathroom. TV has enough English language TV movie channels to keep me entertained. My king size bed is huge, though slightly hard for my taste. Room service is adequate. Mini bar is complementary (stocked with 4 cans of soft drink and two mini kit-kats).
Overall service in the hotel is OK. Occassionally they may be over eager. I asked for a morning call one night and received the automated call the next morning at the requested time. When I was in the shower, the phone rang again, but I couldn't pick it up. It kept ringing for a very long time, then finally stopped. 2 min later, someone was ringing my door bell and pounding on my door, yelling "mame, this is your wake up call." I yelled back "I am in the shower" and he stopped.

I have not used the gym nor the pool, but my colleagues commented that they were quite good, especially view from the gym. The hotel is right next to a shopping mall. Although the shops are nothing exciting, they do provide the convenience, plus a lot of eateries.

My least favorite part about the hotel is its food. By Day 2, I was already fed up with what it serves. Meals arranged for the meetings may be limited due to the meeting package. But the breakfast buffet was nothing exciting either, depsite the seemingly wide choices. Quality of the cheese, bread, yogurt or jam is very average. I didn't have seconds either for the meeting meals or breakfast buffets.

I feel quite neutral about this hotel. It served its purpose without any pizzazz nor excitement.

Room Tip: high floor facing the ocean
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to G Hotel Penang? Share your experiences!