“Rock-hard beds!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of G Hotel Penang

You added G Hotel Penang to your Saves list
G Hotel Penang
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   168A Persiaran Gurney, George Town, Penang Island 11250, Malaysia   |
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in George Town
Singapore
“Rock-hard beds!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I don't usually post reviews of the many business hotels I stay in for work, on the basis that as I don't pay for it I'm not entitled to pass judgment. But the rock-hard beds at the G really need to be mentioned. Awful, awful sleep. And the so-called 'King' was actually two singles pushed together, leaving a big (and hard) ridge down the middle.

I was only there for <10 hours but in that time I also encountered the usual patchy Malaysian service - e.g. it took SIX phone calls to get one shirt pressed, each requiring me to get increasingly annoyed. And then the shirt was not back the next morning when I'd requested, nearly delaying my very tight timeline. Not great.

As others have said, the lobby is awesome but the rooms look fairly "un-funky" (though the bathrooms have some nice design touches). Pool is big, good for laps. Did not get a chance to use gym but it looks good too. Location is OK for tourists but a long way from the Free Trade Zone and airport for business travelers.

If I were going back as a tourist I’d definitely stay at one of the smaller boutique hotels that are springing up in the old town. Not much of shopaholic so proximity to the mall is of no value to me. And the beach, while pleasant to look at, cannot be swum in.

Had the bed not so rock-hard, and it not taken far too much of my limited time to get something really basic – a shirt pressing done – I’d probably be better-disposed towards this place. But as of now, I’d not return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

As many reviews say- its a good hotel with all the facilities you need.
Located well with the mall next door and lots of opportunities to eat any type of cuisine. Markets are a few minutes walk for food and were always packed.
Breakfast was great- best we had on our trip around the region. Though if I want to b picky they could have had more continental cold meats.
We had a standard room which looked over the bay for a lovely view. I wouldn't bother upgrading as these rooms were large and had all that we needed. Im picky about beds and these were firm- no sagging !! Good choice of pillows as well. Toiletries nice and plentiful.

Room Tip: standard rooms are good if you get a bay view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed here over Christmas for 3 nights. It is a little way out of central Georgetown but taxis are plentiful and cheap
I paid for a club level room. Not sure if it was really worth the money. It was very busy and I struggled to get a seat and there was only one of me! Then all the evening snacks had gone within 15 minutes and they were replaced by substandard food
However, my room was huge. Separate lounge and bedroom area. iPod docks were a nice touch. Their was a mini bar in the room and they quite happily filled it with Diet Coke for me! They soft drinks in the minibar were free - another nice touch
Bathroom was also excellent, large bath and separate large shower. I used the spa excellent treatments and good value
Pool area and bar also very good. It was decked and had an infinity pool. Good place to cool off at the end of the day
I had a great view out of my window out to sea.
The staff were very helpful and helped to make my stay.
There is a shopping mall next door and a selection of food restaurants, more chain restaurants but handy

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

The great part of staying in this hotel is the night market and the Gurney Shopping Mall are next to you. You have easy access to places to eat delicious Malay food. Breakfast in the hotel is great for the start of everyday.

Staff in the hotel are nice and helpful. We had airport transfer arranged, but our flight arrived few hours earlier than the schedule. We rang the hotel once we arrived and they rearrange a coach for us (It is a 8 ppl trip with my 80s grandma)

During our stay is during my Aunt birthday, a complimentary birthday cake (Chocolate cake) have been arranged. And it tastes really good.

** Complimentary Welcome ice-cream are a surprise for us.

Although the view of the hotel is not as great as other beachside Penang hotel, the internal design and clearness add mark for the stay. Overall, nice accommodation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotel is located great, with amazing breakfast, probably better than most other hotels that I have ever stay in. I would pick this hotel for future stays only for its breakfast. However it was getting painted, so paint smell was intolerable at times, which could have been avoided.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the ocean would be great.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

A superb hotel right on the "beach" and next to the Gurney Shopping Mall, with ahuge choice of western style diners, coffee bars and bars next door. Complimentary Ice Cream on arrival?? Mini Bar food and drinks is also free (but no alcohol)

Room Tip: Go for a sea view if you can. The suites are brilliant, but call the hotel for the best deal. They w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
The Hague, NL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

When you look at the map, the hotel seems to be at the seaside, but sea is often far away due to tides.
Swimming pool is on 3rd floor, next to is there are smaller pool, showers, Jacuzzi, bar and toilets with "eko-washer" (if you haven't seen it before it's something you must try, even if you don't need. I wish I've it at home).
Staff was friendly and helpful but their English (cleaning service) could be bit better, so we could avoid funny mistakes. Eg. I said them that I don't need more water because I've 4 bottles and .... I got another 4.
The choice of food for breakfast was good. There was Asian and European versions, freshly made waffles and pancakes and selection of fruits.
Parking was free for visitors. Internet as well.
Next to hotel there is big shopping center, where you can find a lot of restaurants if you don't want to eat in the hotel.
The only disadvantage was price, but quality was higher than in the other Malaysian hotels we visited.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to G Hotel Penang? Share your experiences!