“Good location for shopaholics & opposite the sea” 4 of 5 stars
Review of G Hotel Penang

You added G Hotel Penang to your Saves list
G Hotel Penang
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   168A Persiaran Gurney, George Town, Penang Island 11250, Malaysia   |
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in George Town
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Good location for shopaholics & opposite the sea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Located next to 2 shopping malls (Gurney Plaza & Gurney Paragon) - ideal for those wanting to go shopping. Hotel is also opposite the sea and along a very nice corniche - great for walking in the evening. Lots of traffic though in the evening. 100m-150m down the road is also an area for hawker food. Rojak stall there won the best rojak in Penang. Worth a try.

We were upgraded into the L-suite. Huge room and seating room. Mini bar (non-alcoholic) was also free. Bathroom had no bidet which was unusual but other than that room was good. A small blip - Found a dead cockroach in the bathtub...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed 3 days and 2 nights in G Hotel, Gurney Drive, Penang. It was a pleasant stay because of its great location, hospitality and the room quality. Love the fact that it was next to Gurney Plaza, and it was within 5 mins of walking distance to the Gurney Drive, where all the tasty Penang local foods were located! Yums! Getting a taxi from the hotel can be very pricy. There were plenty of taxis waiting outside the hotel, so there isn't much hassle to get a taxi from the hotel. From the hotel to the airport costs me about RM45 during peak hours, and the price can hike up to additional 50% surcharge during off peak hours, ie., during midnights, 4 am, etc. One thing I love about the hotel is the gym. The gym was very well kept, and they have large machines for treadmills, etc. The treadmills were facing the sea, and I was enjoying the seaview while running my treadmill. I love their breakfast on bed menu. We ordered American breakfast and it came with lots of varieties for me to choose and customise my very own breakfast. It was delivered sharp at 8am as per requested. Great service and the foods were still very warm.

Will definately stay in G Hotel again for my next visit. Keep up the great work, G Hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Had a 4 days 3 nights stay. First was very impressed with the lobby design, though the check in took me a while but was kind of pleased when I was served with a "welcome ice-cream" while waiting for my check in. Best when it comes with a choice of vanilla and yam flavor to choose from.

When I stepped into my room, I pretty like my room as I asked for a King Size bed, and guess what, the mini bar is free, which they have couple of can drinks and some kitkat to go along with. Brillant!

I really have no complaint of the hotel internet, it was fast and strong, no hiccups. Excellent!

During my stay I did not opt for the breakfast but it was not a problem at all as Gurny Plaza is just next door to the hotel. Basically I can settled my 3 meals any of the restaurant in Gurny Plaza.

What really impressed me was the daily newspaper at my door which not many hotels in Penang do that.

The only feedback I have for this hotel is that they should have include some body lotion, shower cap, cotton bud in the bathroom.

In general, compared to Chymes and Flamingo I had stayed (which I had so many bed experience!), G Hotel indeed is an excellent hotel that I would definitely go back!

Well Done Peter Nast, General Manager of G Hotel & Team!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed in the "G Suite" for 4 days and 3 nights with our almost-2 year old toddler. It's safe to say that G Hotel ticks all the boxes in terms of locational convenience (its right next to a big shopping mall, supermarket and the famed Gurney Drive), amenities (the usual swimming pool, gym + the G Suite comes with free minibar) and generally well-maintained room. We had a bit of trouble checking in (the check-in staff got us mixed up with the guest who arrived 5 seconds before us and almost gave away our room) but apart from that hiccup, we found the staff generally accommodating.

BTW if you like having breakfast outdoors, I would not recommend the hotel cafe's outdoor area as it seems to have a bit of a mosquito problem.

All in all, a good hotel, albeit given the price I remain unconvinced that it was value for money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Went back to Malaysia for the 2nd time in 3 years. This was a brand new Hotel 3 years ago and booked solid. It's easier to get into now and worth the change from Evergreen. The location cant be beat. It is right next to the mall and plenty of places to eat. The design is new and mondern.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Coffs Harbour, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Following many recommendations from Trip Advisor my wife and I decided to stay at the G Hotel in Penang, and what a great choice. Service, food and accommodation was exceptional. I recommend the executive club benefits as this proved relaxing after an great day sightseeing and shopping.

We stayed in room 1510 which was adjacent the executive lounge and reception but also extremely quiet. Buffet breakfast is included as part of the executive club benefit with a choice of two dining venues, the executive club lounge and main breakfast area. The choice was varied and good quality.

The room was spacious and well appointed with a King Size Bed, free mini bar (non alcoholic)
and Wifi.

My wife and I (both of whom are 45) enjoyed the location of the Hotel as it was next door to a major shopping plaza and hawkers markets for eating. It's approximately 5 klm from Georgetown, with a taxi costing 15 RM or $5.00 AUD. The pool was large, yet not deep (4ft) and relaxing after a hot day. There is a vast array of dining options within a short walking distance of the Hotel and you won't be disappointed.

If you are looking for hotel accommodation as apposed to resort style living then the G Hotel is for you.

Room Tip: If you can afford a little extra opt for executive benefits.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Having read the somewhat positives about this hotel I decided to use it as my base during a recent travel to Penang. But, I cannot recognize all these positives! Although friendly greeting by the concierge, I encountered no friendliness at the reception/check-in (no smiles, just a-kind-of robotic expedition) and when settling in my room, another disappointment. Boring interior, in my eyes, in serious need for renovation. Somehow the rooms do not live up to the expectations you build up when arriving at the hotel in it's rather boutique style grande nice lobby. Breakfast was nice, good choices and friendly service. But again, when checking out, the smiles were gone, and you left the hotel with a feeling of "was it worth it and do I want to return?". Not so sure.

Room Tip: Opt for room with a sea view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to G Hotel Penang? Share your experiences!