“Excellent hotel at central location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang

Agoda.com Expedia.com
Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25A Farquhar Street, Georgetown, Penang Island 10200 , Malaysia   |
Ranked #19 of 49 hotels in Georgetown
Lucerne, Switzerland
“Excellent hotel at central location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in September 2013 at the Bayview Hotel and we really liked it. The hotel is located central, near bars and restaurants (Upper Penang Street) and close to the sightseeing hotspots.
The rooms are big and clean. Take a room with sea view from where you can see the bay!
Breakfast is served in a big hall. The food was ok (mainly Asian dishes) but the ambiente is not that great (too much people and no decoration).
The hotel has an outdoor pool and a jacuzzi. Both have seen better times and are located at a shadow place but were clean.
On the roof there is a bar and a revolving restaurant. The drinks are expensive but the view is just great. Don't eat at the restaurant. The food is not worth the high price and the service is bad.
Except the revolving restaurant which is not operated by the hotel itself, Bayview is a really good place to stay in George Town.

• Stayed September 2013
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Fabienne G,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to post your nice review on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you found the hotel's location and the nice & big rooms to your liking. I have taken note on your comments on breakfast and we will find ways to further improve on the decorations. I have also forwarded your comments to the operator of 360° Revolving & Skybar which I believe he will be most grateful.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we hope to welcome you back again to Bayview Georgetown.

688 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

First booked the hotel for 3 nites at RM$208/-++ but decided to short-stay for only 1 nite.
Arrival check-in was reasonably well handled. Given a room on the (low) 8th floor, was assigned to a 'twin' room despite request made for 'double' during bookings and it was small too Amenities in bathroom was barely stocked; there was no toothbrush, shaver, face/hand-towels.
As it was already in the late evening, decided to stay for the nite and looked for alternatives.
Later, in the night, informed the Reception that we would stay for 1 nite instead of 3. Response was a simple "OK" without any effort to find out why (in anyway it wouldn't help).
While we support all efforts to go "GREEN"; such slogan should not be used as a way (in my opinion) to cut back on room operating costs in providing reasonable amenities for a comfortable stay afterall the room rate would have already factored in all.

Room Tip: If such are in the offer; check out others (hotels) nearby, along Penang Road at almost half the rat...
Dear Eroslkh,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

I am sorry that you did experience a pleasant stay with us. From your description of the room, I would gather that you had booked for a Standard room which is our lowest room category with the least of amenities. For your info, all Standard rooms comes in twin-bed configuration only. We don't have any double bed (king-bed) configuration in Standard rooms.
I apologize that the front office staff was not "friendly" enough to inquire the reason of your early departure. I will certainly look into this and find ways to further improve guest relation.

I do hope that you will give us a second chance and stay with us again on your next trip to Penang. I am sure that you will see "differences".

Gosford, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

had a seaview room which was delightful. hotel getting a little aged but the front desk service is spot on.the 360 rooftop bar is just what is needed on hot evening. the rooftop revolving restaurant
only revolves i think for one hour a day, i believe commencing at 9pm.
position near water and easy walk to most sights and local food outlets.
breakfast first class.
if we return to penang this will be once again our choice.

Room Tip: look for water view if possible although i think i paid a small premium it was worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear kenpatSydney,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for this lovely review and for giving us a 5/5 score on location, service & value. I am happy that you enjoyed the view from the 360° Revolving Restaurant and Skybar and enjoyed the buffet breakfast served during your stay with us.

It was a pleasure to be of service to you and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was a great base for our exploration of Penang. Walking distance to the main shopping street and a clean, cool hotel with friendly staff. Breakfast was great and internet was free. A view of the waterfront was a bonus! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear catj a,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for this great review and for giving us an overall score of 4/5.

I am glad that your found the hotel's location, staff and breakfast great.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

erbil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Location wise it's really good, only minutes away from the streets were the action is: from street food, china town, little India to the local pubs. Breakfast was nice but served from 6:30 am to 10. My husband and I prefer late breakfasts (brunches) so the timing wasn't good for us and we missed it many times . From salads, to noodles, soupes, mashed potatoes, fries , sausages, to cereals: everything is served. I ddnt really understand how penangis can eat such heavy food in the morning , however since its actually served I think it's better to delay the breakfast since it would be more appropriate to non locals.11 am would be a better time limit. On the other hand, service is good. Cleanliness wasn't impressive, there were ants on the tables in our room and a smell of paint and cigarettes - In a non smoking room. Overall experience was satisfactory. The revolving restaurant on the top floor is nice and serves good food with a 360 view of Georgetown.

• Stayed September 2013
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear nadine y,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for your lovely review and please allow me to sincerely apologize for the "ants and smell of pain & cigarettes" in a no-smoking room. It would be much appreciated if you could message me on your room number so that I can take remedial actions.

I have also noted on your comments over the breakfast timings. As much as I would like to extend the time, it is difficult for us as many a times, we have to rush to get ready for lunch buffet which starts as early as 11.30am. I do hope that you will understand.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we hope to welcome you back again sometime soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Took a short holiday to celebrate my hubby's birthday with 2N at Bayview. Hotel kindly accepted my online request for a special arrangement for my hubby birthday which I am extremely grateful for. On arrival, the kind counter personnel (forgot to note his name) also informed me that they have registered my earlier request plus they upgraded my room from deluxe to a premier deluxe in view that it is my hubby birthday. How nice?!

The room is very big and clean and is one of those renovated, although I noted that the aircon is a little bit noisy but nothing that affected my slp. The bathroom is clean and has both a shower section and a bathtub (which is great for me). The room has a clear view of the town. The room was well cleaned on our 2nd day (we did put the make up room sign).

The hotel breakfast served a fair variety although noted that most dishes are carbo based food with few meat dishes. Again it didn't bother me as there are a lot of food to eat in Penang and breakfast is merely a starter to get u on the road. U can forgo it totally if u want to save ur stomach for Penang's famous hawker food.

The location is splendid. Why? It is only 2 mins walk to the famous Red Garden food centre, which by chance, is next to the famous Blue Mansion attraction. Of all the (many) food I ingested in my 3 days trip, Red Garden seemed to serve the best local delights. The hotel is in fact located near to most of George Town attractions. I felt that MOST attractions is of walkable distance (15-25 mins) actually. But due to the weather and perhaps time constraint or laziness, one may be just tempted to jump on one of the many taxis in Penang.

Overall, I think the hotel fared very well for the room price range for me.

Dear MzPurrrfect,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for your excellent review and for giving us a 5/5 score. It is greatly appreciated and I am sure that all my staff will be pleased. Before I forget, A belated birthday greetings to your hubby and I trust that he was pleased with the nice surprise.

I have taken note of the few observations that you have mentioned and I will look into ways of further improving.

Thank you very much for staying with us and we hope to welcome you and your husband back to the best of Bayview.

Langkawi, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Hotel has potential to be better with some attention to the small things......
First off location is great, view from top of hotel bar is fantastic, and price reasonable. Hotel is nice apron entry etc. down side that was just overall disappointing was the over all service.... Staff just seemed bothered and unhappy compared to other hotels we stayed at on this trip. Breakfast was good, not amazing, large selection etc. when booking hotel said free wifi, which we never could connect to either from our room or breakfast area. Whenever we asked about it they just said they would talk to their IT department but it never got fixed...... The rooms were very nice with modern furniture but the black hair all over the floors was nasty, could have been great if not for this. And the hair dryer didn't work that was mounted on wall...... Beds were clean and comfy, great air conditioning.
Overall, not horrible with a bit of work on small details.
Next trip to Penang would probably opt for one of the smaller unique guest houses in The heart of George Town rather then a big hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Mfetter,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

First and foremost, please allow me to sincerely apologize over the poor experience and the few "hiccups" that occurred during your stay with us. I fully agree with you that attention to details counts very much and I have taken to task my Executive Housekeeper to ensure that his team double checks on the small details & cleanliness of the room at all times.

I am not sure why you had difficulties in connecting to the Wi-Fi service as we did not get any other negative feedback from our other guests.

As for the "not working hair dryer, I would appreciate it if you could send me a message on your room number so that I can get my maintenance team to rectify the faulty hair dryer.

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback and I hope to hear from you soon for us to improve our services so that we may be able to serve you better.

Hotel Manager

Been to Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang? Share your experiences!