“Good, but I didn't get to experience the revolving restuarant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang

Save Saved
You added Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang to your Saves list
Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25A Farquhar Street, Georgetown, Penang Island 10200 , Malaysia   |
Ranked #18 of 48 hotels in Georgetown
Aurora, Colorado
“Good, but I didn't get to experience the revolving restuarant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Similar to another reviewer, I also arrived late mid evening from Langkawi on the terry. Check in was smooth but not speedy. Room was clean, bed was comfortable.
However, no where in the materials that I read did it say that Monday night is NOTHING NIGHT: the entertainment is off, the revolving restaurant and other restaurant is closed and so your only option is the area where breakfast would be served the next morning. So it is late evening, you are tired, hungry and unless you want to venture out by yourself in a new strange town, you are stuck with what is there. Not that the food was bad--it was pretty tasty and the waiter himself was even more entertaining with his expansive gestures, sing-song voice and ebullient personality. He was helpful in suggesting things on the menu and also places that were MUST SEE in Penang if one only had a day and a half
I realize that the tour desk is not part of the hotel, but they occupy space there, so I am forced to comment on their establishment: THEY WERE EXTREMELY UNHELPFUL. I am not sure if it was because I was a solo traveler, or what.. but after researching things to do and getting tips from the effusive waiter, I walked into their office Tuesday morning and they had nothing for me. So I walked out of the hotel, crossed the street to the taxi stand and asked the person there how much would it be to hire someone for the day....we agreed on a price per hour and shortly thereafter, we were off. It was great... He (the taxi driver) took me everywhere I wanted to go, waited patiently on me, and even took pictures of/for me..
After a long day of sightseeing on Tuesday, I called to try to get a reservation at the revolving restaurant and was told they were full. Asked for anything available and continued to be politely declined. The person stated there were no more windows available. Well, for me that did not necessarily matter, but I am not sure if it was a language problem, a policy problem, or what--but the end result is that I did not get to experience on of the things I chose this hotel for!!
Overall, it was not a bad experience, and I would go back, except next time I would make my dinner reservations when I make the hotel reservations...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
BHGPenang, Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear EBWgirl

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. My sincere apologies for the confusion and the unhelpfulness of my staff when you tried to make a booking at the Revolving Restaurant. It would certainly help me to pinpoint the staff on duty if you could advise me the time and date that you tried to make the booking so that we can further improve the system and service. I will certainly look into your comments of the restaurants being closed on Monday and try to re-adjust that at least one of them is open so that guest can at least have 2 choices of restaurants on a Monday. We have forwarded your comments on the tour desk to the agent concerned for their necessary info / action and to look into improving their quality of service.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to express your experience staying with us. Your comments will certainly help us in improving to become better. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Regards
Lawrence Perera
Hotel Manager

751 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Bayview Hotel in early January this year. The staff members were very welcoming, helpful and hospitable. The accommodation was very comfortable and luxurious and revolving restaurant was a "once in a lifetime" experience. The food was wonderful and sumptious, too. We loved staying at Bayview Georgetown. A lovely place to stay at.

Thanks a million, staff members - keep up your great work!

Bernadine & Lou

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for posting an excellent review on TripAdvisor. Your positive ratings of the hotel, Revolving Restaurant, our staff and services are most appreciated. We are indeed delighted to hear that you and your partner loved staying at Bayview Hotel Georgetown and we certainly look forward to welcoming both of you back on your next visit to Penang.

Lawrence Perera
Hotel Manager
Olias del Rey, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The hotel is located in the center of Georgetown, at the beginning of the Penang street choose to the Chinatown area and little India, just close to the colonial area... the hotel is big with many rooms, the rooms look a bit old but they are quite big and very clean...breakfast is very good, food is excellent and the restaurant in the top of the hotel is awesome (very nice views and food)...stuff is helpful and friendly,I liked my stay there...

• Stayed January 2013
BHGPenang, Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang. Your positive ratings of the hotel, our staff and services are most appreciated. We certainly look forward to your return visit and to be of service to you once again.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Brilliant location in Georgetown, close to all the main sights. Hotel is a bit dated but the rooms were well appointed and everything worked well. Our rooms were not sea facing but we had bay windows with a view of Georgetown. Didn't try the food at the hotel so cannot comment on that. Staff were friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for sea facing, though I think those will cost more...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. Your positive ratings of the hotel, our staff and services are most appreciated. It was a pleasure to have been of service to you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Our family of four recently returned from a wonderful stay at this hotel. The family room was excellent and easily accommodated the four of us with 2 separate rooms. The Georgetown location of this hotel suited us because it was close to everywhere we wanted to go. The Bayview was very clean and had a beautiful eating area. The staff are efficient, effective and friendly. We loved this hotel so much and we have booked to go back there again! There is a great revolving restaurant at the top of the hotel, perfect for a special dinner. Overall a fantastic stay at the Bayview and we definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: For a family, the family room is the best choice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
BHGPenang, Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for staying with us again and for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We are very pleased to hear that you and your family had a fantastic stay here and that our services lived up to your expectations. Thank you for your compliments on our staff and our restaurant. We certainly look forward to welcoming you and family back again to Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Hotel is older but has been refurbished. Room was clean, carpet could have done with a shampoo though. Mini bar fridge was there but not stocked and the standard amenties were available.

The general breakfast buffet had a good selection but was a bit of a zoo in an area that was poorly lit and not big enough for the number of guests making it hard to move around and very noisy.

In contrast the executive lounge was well worth the extra money, they offered a small american breakfast, evening snacks and all day drinks. The food was good, although it would have been nice to have a different selection each day. The staff were fantastic especially in the lounge where they couldn't do enough to help you.

The hotel had a nice very deep pool, and a large jacuzzi, we saw posters for a spa but didnt recieve any information in our room.

Would stay again if needed to be in the city.

Room Tip: Exective floors are worth the extra money
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
BHGPenang, Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. Your positive ratings of the hotel, the Premier Lounge, our staff and services are most appreciated. We will look into the constructive points that you had raised and necessary actions will be taken to address them.We certainly look forward to your return visit and to be of service to you once again.
Paphos, Cyprus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

]We arrived from the Langkawi ferry in the evening very tired. Our only criticism was with the girl who checked us in who was not very helpful. We got to our room, very tired and noticed the next day that it was not a sea view as on our details. We were only there for a couple of days so did not complain.

The hotel itself is great, the swimming pool and juccuzi are very good, the breakfast good also. The best thing for is the location, as we like to travel by public transport and there is a short walk to the bus station and you can catch a bus to anywhere on the island.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BHGPenang, Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. Your positive ratings of the hotel, its facilities and location are most appreciated. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the service inefficiencies you experienced during check in and for not being able to accommodate your request of a sea view room. We look forward to welcoming you back to Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Been to Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang? Share your experiences!