“Excellent hotel and lovely staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Museum Hotel

You added Museum Hotel to your Saves list
Museum Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No 72 Jalan A.S. Mansor | off Transfer Road, George Town, Penang Island 10050, Malaysia   |
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in George Town
Langkawi, Malaysia
“Excellent hotel and lovely staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the museum hotel for 3 nights and had a wonderful stay. Our stay was during the hotels 'soft opening phase' which meant they are still developing certain areas however, it all seems positive additions towards the 'final product'.
The beautiful hotel is very clean and located within walking distance of all the main attractions. The staff were very attentive, sweet and helpful at all times. The gym was small but had all that you would require for a work out whilst on holiday and good AC.
The breakfast was yummy and service good. I have no doubt that the staff will try their best to ensure all their guests have a happy and comfortable stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

The hotel was simply amazing. On arrival we were greated by the seargeant who was a fabulous character as was the doorman who worked on the door during the day. The hotel is full of antiques in every detail including bakelite electrical fittings which took you back in time to the 1920's and gave a perfect impression of what an old Penang style house would have been like at that time. The room was also full of antiques including 4 poster bed and were kept beuatifully clean. Breakfast has to be pre-ordered the night before and is simply amazing. The breakfast staff were 1st class. The reception staff are very helpful and will give you a map guiding you to good local food. It is also in an excellent location to walk anywhere within the worl heritage area. We were quite sad to leave and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

This is a wonderful hotel with extremely friendly and helpful staff. It has a lovely elegant and relaxed atmosphere.The single room was a little cramped, but comfortable. The bathroom was nice and clean and the shower was excellent. The breakfasts were fantastic and they even threw in some local food for variety.

It is located down some dishevelled looking streets, but the area is clearly on the up and is only a short walk from the main roads, bus routes and restaurants and I never felt unsafe. This also means it's in a quiet part of town away from all the traffic and bar noise.

The staff were so sweet and attentive they make you feel special, which made it a wonderful stay. I only wish it wasn't so far from home so I could visit more often. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Single rooms are small and have no view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

The hotel is set on a quiet and slightly scruffy back street - it looks as if other buildings around there are being restored, but at the moment this leads the way in style. The heritage design is tastefully carried out but with all the modern comforts - our double bed was huge with a comfortable deep matress and the bathroom, though not large, was well fitted out. Everything is in very good condition, and of high quality. The housekeeping is thorough and efficient.

Breakfast is served in a very large room which runs the length of the hotel. The selection of your breakfast menu the night before was unusual but it was very good - we tried the very prettily presented baked eggs and the eggs Benedict. I don't think the room works very well as a breakfast room - everything echoes, but it would make a nice function room.

What really makes the hotel is the lovely staff - young and maybe slightly unsure of themselves, but very keen and anxious to please. I would particularly like to mention the charming receptionist/concierge Jeff, who hits exactly the right note of friendliness and competence. A natural for the hospitality trade.

I would recommend a room overlooking the street, as we had, as I think that would get most natural light - it is quiet, with little passing traffic to make any disturbance.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Meleka, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed here during Chinese new year, 2014. We were made to feel very welcome ad the staff were very friendly. The private museum is a must see (you must book a viewing) and the guide Munir was delightful and informative. The first issue we encountered was the price of the room! I had booked online but when we got there the price jumped by 100RM, we were tod that this was taxes and other charges. I did request a receipt but it did not show the breakdown of charges. This is definitely a museum hotel and the décor reflects bygone eras. I found it quite charming and this was one of the reasons why I choose this particular hotel. However I found the room Claus trophic, it was quite small and dark! There was lovely replica furniture but a modern painting on the wall over the bed! I did notice that other room had four poster beds, but unfortunately, not ours! the fan on the landing is very noisy, so much so that it actually kept us from sleeping!
The staff did inform us that they were in the process of a 'soft opening' and because of this all the facilities were not available! The gym is small, at a squeeze four people could exercise there and the roof garden leaves a lot to be desired! The pool is, under construction, at the moment.
The breakfast room was pretty but lacked 'something', I can't quite put my finger on it! It was sparse, the seating was uncomfortable and there was no 'atmosphere'
Although the staff are great I thought they lacked that 'X factor'. they were very obliging but had no clue what was going on in Georgetown. We needed information on where go to celebrate Chinese new year and honestly they just didn't know! They sent us off on a journey that they said would take 15 mins walking when in fact it took over thirty minutes! I was really disappointed in their local knowledge!
There are no views at all. This hotel is located on a back street, surrounded by derelict buildings. It is quiet (apart from the fan) and does have that 'colloquial' feel to it;apparently the owner bought nine terraced houses and turned them into a hotel.
I have to say, that although it is a nice hotel, it was not worth the price we paid to stay there.

Room Tip: Try to get one with a four poster bed
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
MuseuMhotelpenang, MuseuM Hotel Management at Museum Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Ms Cailindeas2013,

Thank you for taking the time to review Museum Hotel.

While it is heartening to hear that you had an overall positive experience at the hotel, I am very sorry that we couldn't meet all of your expectations. We certainly value every feedback we can get and will take your honest views into consideration.

In response to your feedback on the price, we have already e-mailed you personally for further clarification.

We are very sorry to hear that your sleep has been disturbed by the noise from the fan on the landing. We are glad to be informed, but only wish you had raised this issue to us during your stay as you would have experienced a better sleep then. Nevertheless please be assured that the issue has been rectified.

Another issue has been raised is regarding to our staff's local knowledge. We had looked at this issue with the Front Office Supervisor and has focus their training more on the local knowledge.

On the positive note, thank you for your compliments on the decoration in the Hotel and the service you received from our team.

We would very much appreciate an opportunity to change your impression on a return visit and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

This place is just amazing. It represents an excellent option to stay at Georgetown. Rooms and bathrooms are confortables, spacious and clean. All the details have been taken care, even the smallest, from the decoration of the rooms and public areas, till the impeccable service by staff. They strive to make your stay an unique and unforgettable experience.The "personalized" breakfast is good and very tasteful, you shouldn't miss it. Definitely an experience to repeat. Very good quality/price relationship.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I thought the hotel would be nice when I booked it but was amazed and what my money actually bought me! I arrived a little early before normal check in, but this was not a problem. The staff were apologetic and asked if I minded waiting for about half an hour whilst they finished cleaning my room and brought me a lovely lemongrass cool drink while I perused the fantastic pieces on display in the lobby. In the meantime, they took the time to talk to me, ask me what i wanted to do whilst in Penang and offered some great advice with regards to places to go, things to see and all the food to taste whilst there. the room was small but adequate for 1 person - I may have booked a larger room if more than 1 purely to give a bit of extra space although the amenities were perfectly adequate for my requirements. There was a lovely personalised note on my bed welcoming me - the following 2 nights I stayed were fantastic. The breakfast in the morning was brilliant. I tried the eggs Benedict and the dim sum, I was also brought a local delicacy (different one every day) and fruit with as much coffee and juice as I could drink. Every day after I came back from a day of sightseeing I was greeted by the staff and brought iced tea and the most gorgeous ginger ice cream! That was such a lovely personal touch. In the evening, somehow they would know when I was out of the room and come in to turn down my bed, switch the bedside lamp on and leave another personalised note with a reminder to order breakfast and a little sweet with a description of what it was. What can I say, my every requirement was met over and above my expectations. I was very sorry to leave - the location was brilliant to walk around Georgetown as well as for getting the bus to other parts of Penang. It was also very close to the food stalls on New Lane to which I would suggest a visit is a must. I can't compliment whoever is running this and their staff enough. Please don't change!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Been to Museum Hotel? Share your experiences!