“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Museum Hotel

You added Museum Hotel to your Saves list
Museum Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No 72 Jalan A.S. Mansor | off Transfer Road, George Town, Penang Island 10050, Malaysia   |
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in George Town
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

This place is just amazing. It represents an excellent option to stay at Georgetown. Rooms and bathrooms are confortables, spacious and clean. All the details have been taken care, even the smallest, from the decoration of the rooms and public areas, till the impeccable service by staff. They strive to make your stay an unique and unforgettable experience.The "personalized" breakfast is good and very tasteful, you shouldn't miss it. Definitely an experience to repeat. Very good quality/price relationship.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I thought the hotel would be nice when I booked it but was amazed and what my money actually bought me! I arrived a little early before normal check in, but this was not a problem. The staff were apologetic and asked if I minded waiting for about half an hour whilst they finished cleaning my room and brought me a lovely lemongrass cool drink while I perused the fantastic pieces on display in the lobby. In the meantime, they took the time to talk to me, ask me what i wanted to do whilst in Penang and offered some great advice with regards to places to go, things to see and all the food to taste whilst there. the room was small but adequate for 1 person - I may have booked a larger room if more than 1 purely to give a bit of extra space although the amenities were perfectly adequate for my requirements. There was a lovely personalised note on my bed welcoming me - the following 2 nights I stayed were fantastic. The breakfast in the morning was brilliant. I tried the eggs Benedict and the dim sum, I was also brought a local delicacy (different one every day) and fruit with as much coffee and juice as I could drink. Every day after I came back from a day of sightseeing I was greeted by the staff and brought iced tea and the most gorgeous ginger ice cream! That was such a lovely personal touch. In the evening, somehow they would know when I was out of the room and come in to turn down my bed, switch the bedside lamp on and leave another personalised note with a reminder to order breakfast and a little sweet with a description of what it was. What can I say, my every requirement was met over and above my expectations. I was very sorry to leave - the location was brilliant to walk around Georgetown as well as for getting the bus to other parts of Penang. It was also very close to the food stalls on New Lane to which I would suggest a visit is a must. I can't compliment whoever is running this and their staff enough. Please don't change!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

For work reasons I have had many chances to visit Penang frequently over the last few months. This has given me the opportunity to spend time in many of the top rated heritage hotels on Tripadvisor(please see my reviews on Yeng Keng, Seven Terraces, and Love Lane).

Museum Hotel is a bank of 9 converted shop houses(number 62-80) and has 22 rooms. I had the opportunity to have a Nonya dinner with the Architect that did the hotel and he shared about the painstaking work that he undertook to do the project. The facade of the shop houses was maintained - as was the tiling and the overall structure. Please see the photos of the exterior attached to this review.

The interior decoration of the hotel is done in the Peranakan style which is a cross between Malay and Chinese culture. I understand that many of the older Penang families still have homes which are decorated in much the same way as the hotel is decorated. It appears that most of the furniture are replicas of older designs but were most likely rebuilt for the hotel. This is a little different from a property like Seven Terraces, where the furniture is quite authentically antique.

Perhaps the part that takes some getting used to is the size of the rooms. My guess is that each room is about 24 sq meters(~260 sq feet). It was perfectly fine for a solo traveler like myself, but I could imagine it being a squeeze if I had someone else along with me. You can see in the photos attached with this review that the width of the room is only marginally larger than the shortened queen sized bed in the room. The room however offers all the creature comforts that you would expect in hotels which are twice the price. The air conditioning(A/C) in the room is strong and the water in the bathroom is very hot. The hotel provides coffee/tea making facilities in the room and also bottled water. The complimentary internet was hit and miss for me, but for the most part, it did the job and I got my work emails sent off.

Of the various Penang heritage hotels that I have stayed at, Museum Hotel has offered the best value and has also offered the most personalized experience. I paid less than half of what I paid in the other heritage hotels in Penang. My MYR198 got me the room and also an excellent breakfast the next day, and a generous Amenity Set(see picture). That is less than half the price of the other heritage hotels that I have stayed at(Yeng Keng, Seven Terrace, Love Lane).

The level of personalization extended to having a letter on my bed welcoming me to the hotel to the portion of nutmeg on the mini-bar fridge personalized to me. The staff took the pains to remember my name and to address me by name throughout the hotel. They were also really good about bringing me refreshments as I came in and out of the hot and humid Penang weather. This is a level of service that I don't expect for an all in room rate of less than US$60 per night.

The breakfast at the hotel was also very good. Unlike Seven Terraces, I think the folks running the Museum Hotel are much more generous with their food portions. They brought me fruit, juice, coffee, and eggs benedict for breakfast. In addition, they brought me a delectable crispy local peanut pancake that was "to die for." The pancake was crisp, fragrant and melt in your mouth. My mouth is watering now even as I write this review.

A room tip is to choose a room which is odd numbered if you would like to get a room with a window facing out of the hotel and which gets a good amount of natural light. The shape of the hotel is such that the rooms that are even numbered are facing an inner air well, so the window is really non-functional.

The hardware at the hotel is very decent. There is an elevator at the hotel, which is great if you have difficult with stairs. Each room also has an in-room safe installed.

Overall, I had a good stay there and can absolutely see myself going back in the future. Hopefully by then, they would not have already raised the prices...

If you have found this review helpful, please indicate. Thank you.

Room Tip: Choose a room which is odd numbered if you would like to get a room with a window facing out of the...
Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
MuseuMhotelpenang, MuseuM Hotel Management at Museum Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

We are indeed pleased that we were able to meet your expectations in terms of value, breakfast and room amenities. We appreciate your very detailed and honest review, however we would like to provide extra clarification for the benefit of other readers.

The Museum Hotel derives its name from the antiques that are displayed. The owner is a reputable antique collector in Penang and has fitted Museum Hotel with antiques from his private collection. We also house a private museum in the Hotel and is open exclusively for our in-house guests only.

The room that you stayed is a Single Standard room with a size of 19 sq meters. For sizes of other room types, I would encourage you to pay a visit to our website: http://www.museumhotel.com.my/rates-and-reservation.php

Regarding the room tip, please note that all Single Standard rooms does not have a view. This information can be found in the room description or in the room name in all affiliated Online Agents. In case of any doubts, please e-mail us at reservation@museumhotel.com.my.

Thank you once again for your positive feedback. We look forward that you will visit us again and will participate in our museum tour in your return visit.
Penang Island, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Great Location locate center of penang heritage tourist spot. Good service given by hotel staff. The room is clean and neat. Hotel fill with all kind antic. Walking distance to all heritage building. Easy access to local food

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Penang is the city Singapore should be. Atmospheric but bustling, marrying Asian style and chaos with first world convenience. The Museum Hotel is the perfect hotel base to explore Penang. Rooms are spacious, stylish, and atmospheric. As great as the rooms and location are, it's the staff that really makes the hotel. More helpful and knowledgeable then the best concierge, they made our stay a real pleasure. Museum Hotel is located about 30 minutes from the airport in the heart of Georgetown. Scooter rentals can be delivered to the hotel door if you fancy exploring the coast, but all the best of Georgetown is within walking distance. We suggest foot massages (although at $10 they're pricier than the rest of Asia), a meal in Little India, and have at least a drink at the E & O.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Museum Hotel was the best part of a very nice visit to Penang. As the other reviewers point out, the staff couldn't be more hospitable. Every time I sat down someone brought me fruit juice. The breakfast begins with a fruit plate nicely arranged, followed by a choice of main courses. The hotel earns its "museum" claim. Not only are there elegant Straits Chinese antiques everywhere, but explanations are posted. If you plan to visit the Penang Museum or the other historic sites, start early by staying here!
I stayed in a single, which was fine. My only problem was episodic wifi availability.
I have been to almost every country in East Asia and to every province in China, and this was one of the top hotel experiences. There are more opulent hotels, but none more satisfying.
The staff speaks excellent English and Mandarin.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Everything about this place is absolutely lovely! The staff are beyond wonderful & very knowledgeable and eager to make your stay excellent. The location is perfect, just a short stroll from the action of Jalan Penang but is quiet at night to make for a relaxing sleep. The breakfast choices were few but they were all were delicious and they even give you local varieties of fruits & desserts for you to try. The actual hotel & rooms are excellent as are the amenities. This place is genuinely faultless. 100% recommend!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Museum Hotel? Share your experiences!